Rope Storage - What are you using?

BarnHouse

Hello all. I'd like opinions on the best rope storage option. Right now I have it in a duffle bag with the other gear - harness, helmet, throwline bag, water, etc.

I like the idea of having the rope in it's own separate bag where it's safe, clean, dry, and secured.

Do I need to spend the money on a "rope bag" or will some other type of storage do? Rope bag, rope tarp, dry wall bucket, old suitcase?

What are you using?

All opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

- BarnHouse

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
My rigging ropes go in suitcases. Climbing lines go in rope bags or kitty litter buckets, they're square and I have a cat but don't do drywall :)

Liberty Mountain/Advanced Base Camp make a nice, inexpensive rope bag/tarp with shoulder straps and compression straps.

roxy

When I started climbing I thought a rope tarp would be supercool because I could just flake the rope on the tarp, roller'up and go. But the tarp, which was supposedly made for this purpose, didn't work for s**t like that. The rope didn't want to be rolled up unless it was basically in a hank already...and that defeats the purpose of storing it loose and dry. Suitcases work for some, buckets break when you drop them and they are hard so they don't pack well. I like the mesh on the Sherrill Boss bag for air circulation. The bag that Bashlin makes is great for one or two lines and it stands up on it's own, too. I don't like the drawstring tops because they collapse and bug me when I'm trying to feed the rope back in...You can use smaller bags inside a larger one to separate acension from climbing line. Tarp is nice for putting gear down on sandy or pine needle strewn ground, though.

Blinky

My personal gear bag is a gym duffle. The rope goes in the net compartment that's supposed to be for stinky clothes and everything else, harness, lanyard, ascenders, etc. goes in the main compartment. Little stuff goes in the side pocket.

My other ropes are all in miscellaneous tote bags from the thrift shop for $2 each. One is like a heavy duty messenger bag that holds the porty, a block, a 5:1 and some slings. I do have a Sherrills bag for 200' of 9/16" stable braid, it's the easiest one to flake rope into.

Norm_Hall

I like the mesh rope bags. Air can get to all the rope in case it gets wet. They are absolutely worth the investment.

PUClimber

I have used everything from backpacks found at garage sales to stuff sacks for sleeping bags. You can buy the expensive bags and they work or you can find something that works for you.

Gord

I use these duffles from MEC here in Canada. They're super tough (I've never had a problem with anything on them in 5 years) convenient and pretty cheap. They're much easier to feed the rope into than a regular rope bag and they're got a clip on eiter end if you're hanging it on your saddle. The small ones will fit maximum about 220' of 1/2" line. The large size fits a belt and spurs nice.

Attachments

BarnHouse

Thanks for the info and ideas everybody. It's good to know that I don't have to drop 30-40 bucks on a fancy rope bag. The .59 cent IKEA bags are great! I have a few things around the house that I'm gonna experiment with.

roxy - I did like the idea of a tarp/bag but now I'm reconsidering. I may still get a separate small tarp to use for those sandy areas, I am in the Pine Barrens after all.

Tom - I did consider using a cat litter bucket but just haven't tried it yet. I have half a dozen of them. They're good for so many things I just can't throw them out.

Thanks again everyone, I knew I'd get some good ideas.

Slainte!

-BarnHouse

countryboypa31

I have used several different rope bags.

My fav and the one i use for my ascention line is a Metolius Ropemaster.

metolius ropemaster

For my rope i like something that stands well on its own and is easy to flake a rope into. Also you want to consider if your going to need to throw it out of the tree. My favorite so far is the mesh bag

Mesh Bag

You can def improvise though and will work very well. I used an old hiking backpack for a while, or even an old bookbag from college or highschool would work well

*i couldn't get the pictures to load so here are the links

TiersonB

I use these bags that LL Bean sells for about $25 called "boat and Tote" bags. They are made of stiff canvas and they last for like 3 years in the field. I flake a rope into the bottom of the bag, then put my saddle and spikes and even the helmet in there and I'm ready to go. The rigging ropes go in the same kind of bag, and the Porta-Wrap and block share that bag. Get organized that way!

southsoundtree

home depot has tote bags that are supposed to fit in the basket at the store, or something. They are 99 cents. Bright orange. Two handles, clip together closure. Not streamlined for pulling up into a tight canopy, but not bad for an open canopy where you will want to tie the end and through the bag, as with a pull line for a top.

HÖLLENREICH

been having some good luck with this bag. Mountain Tools Feed bag Its been working out great with the crane jobs so far, next big prune tree I plan to try it out in the canopy hoping to clip high on the saddle and tote it around the tree. See if it hangs up or not.

Also a big fan of the Metolius rope ranger and the Dirt bag

treemd

I have a couple of bags from Sherrill that I keep a bull line and climbing line in, an old army duffel that I keep a 1/2 safety blue in and various other bags that I keep my blocks, prussic cord, Tennex slings, loop runners and other odds and ends in. I am thinking I will use one of the large rubbermaid containers with a lid to keep all of my rope bags in so I can keep them out of the rain and weather when I work and travel.

Tr33Climb3r

[ QUOTE ]
the vermeer bags that you get at ISA conferences... they work real nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup the free ones work well!!

Tr33Climb3r

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of bags from Sherrill that I keep a bull line and climbing line in, an old army duffel that I keep a 1/2 safety blue in and various other bags that I keep my blocks, prussic cord, Tennex slings, loop runners and other odds and ends in. I am thinking I will use one of the large rubbermaid containers with a lid to keep all of my rope bags in so I can keep them out of the rain and weather when I work and travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

rubbermaid containers work real well for many things!

We use them for taking the rakeings out of backyards just like a tarp but they last longer...we also use them for storing a lot of line and you can also put the pulleys and portawrap with it

blacktopp

i am a big fan of the back pack system, if it on your back doesnt get tin the way of limb walkes and throwing off your balance as it is close to your center of gravity. of you pacl oit right you can just keep it on your back and unload it as you climb. any cheap teardrop shaped back back will work(to allow to flow through branches better) just make sure it has a nice zipper 2 is better to so you can control what side it comes out.