Rope runner pro

Thatonedude

Hey all,
Let me start this out by saying I’m new to the tree world and only have a year under me. Soo was climbing a oak the other day SRT and when I get to my TIP I take my knee ascender off and leave my foot on. And when I’m just moving around in the tree I leave my chest harness still attached to the RRP with a XSRE carabiner. Only while I’m moving around in the tree so I don’t have to tend my slack as much. And when I find it affecting me or pulling me I unhook it. So what I’m getting to is when I was horizontal with my TIP and going out on a limb walk, mind you through the limb walk I felt the RRP slipping. I lanyard around the branch and assessed the situation. Looked and seen I still had the XSRE still attached to the RRP and when I took off the XSRE it wasn’t slipping anymore. I’m thinking it did it because the attachment point on the RRP for for SRT harness pulls the RRP so loosen the bind it makes on the rope to hold it. Just wanting to put it out there since it’s a newer device. Not sure if I explained it correctly or not.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
What happened to the time when people who were new and/or not well versed with a certain type of tool they came with questions instead of claims of device failure?

This new trend grinds my gears worse than bad shifting.
Not only you. A rrpro is an advanced tool. Could you imagine OP's slipping on said limbwalk. Hooked in like that could have been a direct sail to the earth's crust.

Crimsonking

The funny thing is- if people actually read the manual when they bought the device, they would avoid most of the mistakes they make, and would be aware of the other risks inherent in operating it. But they’d still have to be honest with themselves and others about their competence.

Last edited:

Thatonedude

What happened to the time when people who were new and/or not well versed with a certain type of tool came with questions instead of claims of device failure?

This new trend grinds my gears worse than bad shifting.
Never blamed the RRP. Said it was slipping and I reassessed my situation, found out I still had my chest harness still attached and then everything was alright. Then later as you read the whole thing I said it worked fine and I was sure it was due to that. Also man, said I was a new climber obviously I don’t always have experienced people around me every time I want to climb and try new things and you being like this is why no one new ever wants to get into the trade and is afraid to ask people these types of questions in person. But it’s funny how I read the manual. But I’m sorry not everyone can put that into real world perspective or understand what they are reading without having some sort of understanding. But no man keep doing what your doing and make fun of new climbers.

Thatonedude

There should be a background check on newbs purchasing SRT mechanical devices.
Man, must be a joy working with you as a new guy. Bet you really pass your knowledge along. But no I did my research on the RRP before I went out and spent $300. Because you know everyone’s rich and likes to blow that on something and not use it.

Thatonedude

The funny thing is- if people actually read the manual when they bought to device, they would avoid most of the mistakes they make, and would be aware of the other risks inherent in operating it. But they’d still have to be honest with themselves and others about their competence.
The manual it’s crazy you can read and read all day and still not get the visual aspect of what they are trying to tell you until you do it for yourself or you have someone who can show you. Crazy to think one to spend that much money on a RRP just to not read up on it, watch videos on it. And then put there life on it makes no sense right. To tunnel visioned you are my friend.

Thatonedude

Dat be dumb. Unhook and climb bro......tend slack my ass. Tending is for your vertical ascent.
I got you but like I said it’s situational when I do it. And like I said I’m new and different pulling motions on my body are still new to me. Yes sometimes when I forget to unclip it’s hard to move around and I look down and see I’m clipped in still and re adjust. But SRT was something I was just shown and really enjoyed and took it upon myself to read and watch videos on everything.

chiselbit

Stick around, a lot of the comments were fueled by recent events concerning an operator error incident that was portrayed as device failure. You just happened to step into line of Fire. Poor timing. There’s a lot to learn and this place is great for acquiring knowledge and insight. Glad you recognized the problem and took steps to fix it. Welcome to the buzz, if there’s something you’re not sure about ask some questions. Plenty of people here willing to share. A thick skin is useful too.

Thatonedude

Now I hate to be captain obvious here, but you are living proof that my statement was fairly accurate. And just so were clear here my statement was as much about mechanical SRT devices (and those who sell them) as it was about unexperienced climbers...

How much time have you spent climbing on a hitch based system? If you dont have at least a good year on a hitch I would strongly suggest you go back and do so... You will thank me later....

And yes, I do spend a lot of time training young climbers. Not always friendly, always impatient, but I always try and teach them the shit you won't see on a YouTube vid.

And welcome to TB...The best group of pro's on the inter-web, and an invaluable resource for a climber, no matter their experience level..
So your saying just basically forget about mechanicals and advancement and just climb straight hitch for a year. Even though you could just go to mechanical and start trying it on your spare time. That is a complete waste of my time. Your basing everything off your own personal experience it seems like. You are why advancement in this industry is lacking. What you said makes no sense when you can do both. Me personally since we are talking about me would rather do both when I can to advance me. That’s like learning basic knots and just saying eh that’s good enough for now. Even though there’s a whole toolbox full waiting to be used on a better situation. What you said makes no sense. Going out in the middle of nowhere and trying some new isn’t going to kill me and what I did wouldn’t of either no matter the mistake because I did my research on the RRP and had whole faith in the system. Basing everything off your own failures and not your knowledge and know how is why advancement is so hard for certain people that’s why I don’t dwell in the failures so I can advance. Seems like you need to readjust how you train because I would of left knowing I could get better stuff and you just didn’t want to get it because I didn’t have time using a certain tool. Pfft please.

rico

You know what they say... You gotta walk before you can run. I would strongly suggest you learn how to walk first.....We wouldn't want you to slip, trip, fall, and hurt yourself...

Last edited:

Thatonedude

You know what they say... You gotta walk before you can run. I would strongly suggest you learn how to walk buddy....
Man theirs a reason for sayings and we could go back and fourth but, you sound like one of those guys that says it’s just a job. My brain don’t stop thinking about different ways to do things or advancement when I get out of the tree bud and I think you need to open yours up a little and see what the world entails before it’s too late ole timer. Life’s to short.

Reach

I will make one brief comment on this thread, and likely only one.

The attitude you are exhibiting here is not that of a person of humility, who wants to learn. Perhaps it is not your intention, but you are coming across as one who is rather arrogant, and knows everything you think you need to know. Unfortunately, the tree industry tends to quickly teach a person how wrong they are, in very dramatic fashion.

This forum is made up of many members, some are a bit loud, or crotchety but highly experienced. Others are opinionated and arrogant, there are a few who are just plain clueless, and some are quiet but brilliant. Spend a bit of time thinking about how you’re speaking and not just what you’re speaking, and you’ll have a better chance of making friends here. There are many here with decades of knowledge in certain areas. @rico may well be the best big-tree climber and feller here, @swingdude probably knows more about gear than the companies who make it, and @JD3000 and @ATH can identify trees I can’t even find in an encyclopedia!

I wish you the best in your career in the tree industry, and sincerely hope you learn to take advice from the old heads before it’s too late.

One note on learning to climb - these fancy modern mechanicals are great, but they’re dangerous if you don’t REALLY know how to climb. I make every new climber I train work with only a rope and a Blake’s Hitch for months before going to a split tail hitch climber setup. After a year or two, when they prove they know what they’re doing, then and only then are they permitted to explore SRT and mechanicals. I’ve never had an employee fall or get hurt due to a gear issue, and I’ve had a lot of employees for quite a few years. There’s something to be said for knowing the basics well first.

One parting thought for you: When - not if, but when - your mechanical device fails/breaks/falls apart 80’ off the ground, do you know how to get back down safely with only one rope and one carabiner?

rico

Man theirs a reason for sayings and we could go back and fourth but, you sound like one of those guys that says it’s just a job. My brain don’t stop thinking about different ways to do things or advancement when I get out of the tree bud and I think you need to open yours up a little and see what the world entails before it’s too late ole timer. Life’s to short.
Wow..

Crimsonking

Have you read your original post? Maybe everyone here is missing your point?

I’ll hash out what I got from it-

You’re new to tree climbing in general. You feel that keeping your tending point clipped to your rrp is occasionally beneficial, however you noticed it slipping when clipped in. After unclipping, the slipping stopped. The flavor of your post seemed to be that of someone hoping to have highlighted a potential risk in a new device. What you highlighted was a way to improperly use the device.

Some masters of the trade suggested you focus on hitch based systems for a while since you’re still pretty fresh to climbing. You then lashed out, saying they are the problem with the industry. Tell that to the climbers they have mentored over the years. Tell that to a previous trainee of mine that now has his own tree company. Tell that to his wife that has been able to quit her job and join in the family business.

I’m glad you didn’t hit the ground. Work positioning is not the same as ascent. That tending point is designed for ascent. Work positioning while tethered presents several risks, including improper function of the device itself. Others- inadvertent collapsing of the bird, potential strangulation hazard if a fall occurs, etc.

I’m stoked you’re passionate about climbing. You are probably a very intelligent, motivated person, as it’s likely you wouldn’t be trying to advance your game otherwise. Please consider that this device is not necessarily an advancement for your climbing. The truth is, advanced devices are meant to be added conveniences for those who have advanced their skills. The skill came first, as it always ought. Please focus on advancing your skill with simpler systems first, as true mastery is usually shown in how someone can perform exceptionally with the simplest systems. Master rope on and rope, and you’ll have a better grasp on how mechanicals work. The nuances of adjustment will be easier to work with.

No one is trying to hold you back. We want to see you start with a firm foundation that can be built upon.

I’d love to hear more about you. How did you get into this awesome trade? Who do you have around you? Have you plugged into any industry events yet? What are your goals for tree climbing?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom