Root killer

Raven27

Ok, I have a costomer that wants,a tree down for 2 reasons , the main reason is the roots keep getting into his neighbors pipes and causing damage. They've twice paid to have them cleared out. He really wants to help his neighbors out. He also wants it down because it's hanging over their house, my question is. What's a good treatment to put on the freshly cut stump to kill the roots? I don't do spraying or anything, but it seems like something I can do easy enough.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Glyphosate is Round Up and available commonly.
Tordon is a specialty herbicide and can be had online and at landscape product supply centers.

Nish

You probably need a pesticide applicator's license to charge for any kind of herbicide application. Tordon RTU is convenient and the blue dye makes it easy to see where it's been applied.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Just a dose of reality here. Tree roots getting into the neighbors pipes, means that the neighbors pipes are leaky. If you remove the tree, the roots from some other plant material will help themselves to the water and nutrients leaking out of the pipes. You'll have a paycheck for removing a tree, but the problem will remain until and unless the neighbor ponies up to have his pipes properly and completely repaired. People have been blaming trees for crappy plumbing since the dawn of plumbing.

As to the canopy of the tree over-storying the neighbors house, the devil's advocate and arborist in me wonders whether this something which could be addressed through end-weight-reduction pruning?

Raven27

They're going to have the pipe redone with a liner, don't know howuch it matters, but the tree us the only living thing growing out there other than the grass. As far as reducing it, not sure, it's a fair amount of tree over/ encroaching the house. The HO, just seems to want it gone, between the roots and complaints of the branches, he's fed up. He's been complaining about this tree for some time now on Facebook.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Grass roots will definitely find their way into a leaky pipe and will clog it every bit as thoroughly as tree roots. Sounds as though the owner of the tree has been convinced to make his neighbor's problems into his own.

In my state, the landmark tort case for neighbor tree issues is Gallo vs Heller. Every state pretty much has a similar case, which states that if a tree originating from neighbors' property grows onto your property in such a way as to damage or threaten to damage or have the potential to damage it, you have the obligation to correctively prune the parts of the tree growing into and onto your property. It's not up to the owner of the root plate and trunk to take care of branches and roots once they're off of their property.

As a consultant, I find that a lot of tree owners are suddenly a lot less eager to pay for pruning or removal of trees that are bothering their neighbors, once they find this out.

Raven27

Yeah. I originally told him it's not his responsibility and he would be fine. I'm guessing, from knowing him a bit, he's just being the nice guy he is and removing the issue.