Rigguy cable systems

chiselbit

Branched out member
So when I typed Rigguy into the search function it took me to an old thread where Jomoco, armed with a steel cable was laying waste to all comers. It was a lively thread with cobras and bowling balls and all kinds of heated exchanges between participants but it did nothing to answer my questions, namely: what’s the consensus on the Rigguy system?
Does it wallow out the hole in the trunk? Does it hold significant weight? More or less than common grade cable would in a situation where the stems are too close together to allow the preformed cable grips to be used on ehs cable?

deevo

Been here a while
So when I typed Rigguy into the search function it took me to an old thread where Jomoco, armed with a steel cable was laying waste to all comers. It was a lively thread with cobras and bowling balls and all kinds of heated exchanges between participants but it did nothing to answer my questions, namely: what’s the consensus on the Rigguy system?
Does it wallow out the hole in the trunk? Does it hold significant weight? More or less than common grade cable would in a situation where the stems are too close together to allow the preformed cable grips to be used on ehs cable?
I’ve done hundreds of Rigguy installations, by far the best system out there! I inspect all my cabling jobs every 2 years paid by the customer of course. they are very efficient and strong.

DSMc

Been here a while
We have used both the Rigguy and Wedge Grip with no problems. The predictions of system failures and tree damage have not happened in any of our installations.

ATH

Been here a while
We have used both the Rigguy and Wedge Grip with no problems. The predictions of system failures and tree damage have not happened in any of our installations.
Do you like one better than the other? Different circumstances where you install or do you use them interchangeably?

OasisTree

Participating member
Wedge Grips have failed for us several times. After switching to Rigguy we have not had any more issues. I like the simplicity of the Rigguys, and there is no chance they can fail unless the center strand of your cable is brittle and would break for some reason.

DSMc

Been here a while
There is potential for the Wedge Grips to fail if there is enough mobility in the system for them to unload.

Excessive movement is the most common cause of premature failure in static cable systems.

evo

Been here a while
Rigguy is the only steel system I have used I many years, granted it’s not common.
Yes the hole can walllow out if you are not spot on but it’s pretty damn easy to avoid.

ATH

Been here a while
There is potential for the Wedge Grips to fail if there is enough mobility in the system for them to unload.

Excessive movement is the most common cause of premature failure in static cable systems.
Obviously you pre-tension the cable. But on a tall "V", there is going to be a lot of movement on really windy days. Let's say the stems are 15' apart before cabled (with not split started for this example). Pulling them 6" closer will put a lot of tension on that cable and the Grips, but they will easily move a foot or two closer in a strong wind. Pulling them to 13' seems excessive in that example...right? How do you determine how tight to make them to that unloading?

Are Wedge Grips better kept to branches that will have some downward weight than using on straight horizontal lines where they are far enough apart to expect significant movement???

Just to be clear: I'm not trying to argue - but learn. I haven't used them yet (have a job scheduled where I was planning to use them) so trying to understand how to best do so.

chiselbit

Branched out member
Rigguy is the only steel system I have used I many years, granted it’s not common.
Yes the hole can walllow out if you are not spot on but it’s pretty damn easy to avoid.
Spot on as in alignment of the holes relative to each other?

evo

Been here a while
Spot on as in alignment of the holes relative to each other?
yes and inline with the cable. Since the leads need to be pulled inward with a 3:1 or such this give a visual straight line between the leads to be supported. Super easy if drilling from the inside to outside with longer bits.
The other huge bonus dealing with conifers which have co-dom unions just a foot or two apart is you can drill straight through both leads using the first hole to line up the second. In this situation end terminations are the best way to go as there isn't enough room for other cabling hardware.

DSMc

Been here a while
But on a tall "V", there is going to be a lot of movement on really windy days...

Before a static cable is recommended, feasibility of a successful static location is one of the first things I will look for. This means not recommending a static cable if this can not be achieved. This should be true no matter what static hardware you plan on using. If it can not be made static, it will be capable of generating system or tree damaging forces.

Some options beyond pre-tensioning are, triangulation, dropping the system down into larger wood, changing potential oscillation dynamics through pruning, changing to a shock-absorbing dynamic system.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom