Rescued a cat

Phil

I've missed 3 days of work with strep throat. Finally feel like I've made some good recovery progress but I've been cooped up in my apt. Got a call from the boss with an odd issue. Cat stuck in a tree and needs rescued. Apparently it's been in the tree for a few days. Loaded my gear and found one cool little cat. Whole rescue took 10 minutes. Nothing special about the climb. Used my empty rope bag to stow the kitty. I was excited to get out of the apartment for a few hours at the very least. Animal Control will check her for a micro chip. If no owner can be found one of my co-workers will likely take her. She had a collar and was pretty chill so definitely someone's pet. Luckily she didn't put up a fight or piss all over me so it was a win for everyone haha. Felt good.

Attachments

moss

I did have a cat projectile poop when I put the scruff on him, I was out of the line of fire ;-) Never had one piss on me. Glad you got it, and that your strep is on the mend.
-AJ

ATH

Have you seen Climbing Innovation's cat rescue bag:

moss

I have one, not my style. I tested it on a "domestic cat" walking around the house, too much fabric, too many hands ;-) I couldn't contain the cat with it. Very cool idea, I like a simple rip-stop nylon stuff sack, bare hands and a pull cord closure. Never dropped a cat, all good, everyone has their favorite ways.
-AJ

Reactions: ATH

ATH

I haven't tried it...but I bought it after my only cat rescue. I had a pillow case. Got the cat nice and easy, she came right to me (was in tree for 3 days), let me pick her up but then got a little wiggly when I put her in the sack...almost dropped it! I did get her in, clove hitch around the top and she was very tame on the descent.

A couple of days later, @yoyoman posted a link for a sale on his bag, so I bought one - it sits in the truck waiting for the next call.

I'm tempted to advertise "half price cat rescue with Bigshot"...but not sure that is the kind of publicity I want!

Phil

That looks frightening haha. I had a pillow case with me but I opted for my rope bag for a couple reasons. 1, it is semi rigid so would stay open on its own while I put the cat in there. 2, rope bag has a draw string top and a carry handle to easily hook it to my harness on descent. 3, I was concerned if I used a pillow case, it might make the cat panic and freak out since it essentially collapses and puts the cat in a caccoon restricting mobility. The rope bag stays round so the cat was actually laying down in the bottom all nice and cozy. I would consider a 5 gallon bucket with a small towel in the bottom and a lid in the future as well.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I once dropped my bag at about 80' in a spindly little fence line gum tree.
It was the least pleasant rescue I have ever done. It took like two hours between hitting the only acceptable tie in and hiding from the cold and wind. I just grabbed the cat, tucked it like a football, and came down with one hand. Managing the cat was surprisingly easy.
I usually do just fine with a rope bag.

Cool rescue. I have never rescued one out of a tree but I have had a few calls that I passed on. I did rescue a cat from under a house yesterday. I was bidding a job for a real estate agent friend of mine at one of her rental properties and we stepped inside the vacant home to talk and get out of the cold. When we went inside we could hear a cat under the floor boards meowing. The cat was a mouser that she hadn't seen at the farm house for a couple of days and she kinda freaked out and said I had to help her find it. It seems the cat had gotten through a small hole in the foundation on a warm day but the melting snow refroze and sealed the hole after dark. I tried chiseling the ice out of the hole but the cat wasn't having it. I eventually pulled up the plywood under the kitchen sink drain and the cat slipped out while I finished looking at the property. Not very exciting for my first cat rescue.

KingBeee425

This is awesome! We have a similar request but couldn't really accommodate. We usually advise contacting animal rescue.

We'll consider doing this for this year.

rbreesems

This is the cat bag that I currently use, got this idea from Normer Adams, a cat-stuck-tree rescuer from Atlanta. Instead of a glove, there is netting over the hole in the bag. This allows you use your bare hand for a better grip (which I do), or you can wear your normal climbing gloves. If you have a nasty cat, and have a short grab pole, you can stick the grab pole through the netting, use it to grab the cat, pull the pole back through and drape the bag over the cat as normal. If you are worried about the kitty's legs poking though the netting after it is in the bag, you can put a piece of cloth over the netting on the outside of the bag, sew the cloth on three sides, allowing one side for hand access (I have done this. Randall Kolb, a cat rescuer from Baton Rouge, came up with that idea and also sent me the netting I used for this bag). The bag is just a laundry bag from Walmart.

Finding the right glove that gives you enough "feel" to sew into the bag was always tough for me, this solved it.

Last edited: