Replacement part for my rope runner.

TallTreeClimber

From my reading over the time it's (akimbo) come out, the rr is a superior device for actually being on rope. Why would you be switching away from it?

So in other words, I've read that the Akimbo is a more difficult device to use.

DSMc

I have used both and that is not what I have found. The Akimbo is great on rope and in fact I prefer it over the RR. But as with all things related to climbing, it may not be the best fit to a specific individuals needs or desires.

Last edited:

TallTreeClimber

@TallTreeClimber. not switching adding to the tool box brother. I still love the RR.
Oh.

I was watching and reading the Akimbo thread for the longest time and all I ever saw was no one seemed to be willing to brag on it, nor could anyone seem to get smooth action or a particular rope consensus, and I completely lost interest in it. Has something changed since then?

Not trying to poo poo ingenuity and innovation, but I couldn't find a reason to justify buying it, and believe me, I buy a lot of shit! Lol.

Jonny

Depending on the rope, it might suck if it’s a brand new rope.
My Akimbo performance improved immensely after washing the Fly and Xstatic, which were new at the time. Improved a bit more after some mileage on the device and ropes too.

TheTreeMD

I've had my Akimbo about a year... finally starting to spend some more time on it... just because. I think Doug Tochtrop said it best. The Runner is the Ferarri of the tree climbing world. I enjoy my akimbo. It's a wonderful device, especially on slightly stiffer ropes. So far, xstatic and Scandere have been where I have found my happy place with it. It seems like the Akimbo has a lot of.... pickyness... when it comes to rope selection and deviation. On my yale 11.7 mm double braid families i found that it might drift on one... or get bouncy on another. Obviously different age ropes, different wear characteristics etc. The Akimbo seems to notice these things and respond to them... both positively and negatively. The runner seems to run how it will run on whatever rope it's on. Some better than others obviously. Both mechanicals hate sap. One other thing that keeps me on my runner more is that once in a while the akimbo will let you go for a hell of a drop. Holding the akimbo where it feels I have more control of the "bird" like you can with the runner is not the same. I can completely close the bird on the runner, drop out of the sky and have the control to push the bird back in place to slow down or stop(obviously the spring would do the same if I let go). On the akimbo, I feel it is much harder to have that level of control, so some moves are more difficult.

Skye401

Can't wait to see it.
I run the akimbo on Tachyon, Blue Moon, and Fly. I love it. I think a lot of the initial hate for it was just from people making snap decisions without putting enough time into the device to learn the settings and break the device in.
I love mine and have only ever thought of picking up another device to save some of the wear and tear from using mine every single day. But who knows, I might just end up buying another akimbo haha

Skye401

I've had my Akimbo about a year... finally starting to spend some more time on it... just because. I think Doug Tochtrop said it best. The Runner is the Ferarri of the tree climbing world. I enjoy my akimbo. It's a wonderful device, especially on slightly stiffer ropes. So far, xstatic and Scandere have been where I have found my happy place with it. It seems like the Akimbo has a lot of.... pickyness... when it comes to rope selection and deviation. On my yale 11.7 mm double braid families i found that it might drift on one... or get bouncy on another. Obviously different age ropes, different wear characteristics etc. The Akimbo seems to notice these things and respond to them... both positively and negatively. The runner seems to run how it will run on whatever rope it's on. Some better than others obviously. Both mechanicals hate sap. One other thing that keeps me on my runner more is that once in a while the akimbo will let you go for a hell of a drop. Holding the akimbo where it feels I have more control of the "bird" like you can with the runner is not the same. I can completely close the bird on the runner, drop out of the sky and have the control to push the bird back in place to slow down or stop(obviously the spring would do the same if I let go). On the akimbo, I feel it is much harder to have that level of control, so some moves are more difficult.
When I'm doing a big bomb on the akimbo, I find that keeping my ring finger in-between the beak and the lower bollard gives me a ton of control on slowly adding friction back into it. I also keep mine set so that as soon as I start to put pressure on it I begin descending

robinia

The way I experience both is my RR is smooth and responsive, while my Akimbo is predictable and solid.
But that could be settings, rope, endless variabilities.

dttm

There are so many variables with both devices. Be confident and knowledgeable with both, and your world will open up.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom