Removable Chipper Box Roofs

AlpenTreeExperts

I'm wondering how many people have chipper trucks that have removable roofs. If so, how often do you actually remove it and what is involved? Is it something that a couple of guys can do in a few minutes or is it far more of a hassle to actually remove it than it's worth? I ask because I am getting a hooklift truck fabricated and I want it to serve multiple functions. For example, leave it on the truck and chip into it or drop it on the ground for hand loading debris, easier loading with the minis or loading equipment to bring to the next job site.
I feel like there are several routes we could go here for chipping. We could install a tarp system on the truck, but that would probably not contain the chips very well or we could try and design some type of roll back or foldable roof system. I might be going out on a limb here (pun intended), but I feel like those removable roofs that Arbortech and Switch N' Go make probably never get used because they are too much of a pain in the ass to take on and off.

Reach

We have three, two are bolt-on roofs which require a machine to lift off, the third is held on with quick pins and can be removed in three pieces by one or two people.

We haven’t removed the roofs from any of them in years except to install a salt spreader in the winter. If we didn’t need to run salters in these trucks, we would not bother with the removable roofs.

If we had a hook lift, we would just build two bodies, a lightweight chip box and a very strong open top that could handle the beating of hauling logs.

Chaplain242

Best removable tops for chip boxes have a lifting point for use with gantry or crane, to lift entire top off truck as has been stated removing section tops secured with pins/bolts/screws is a PITA.

Also a method of securing your lifeline over the box to arrange a TIP to connect crâne sling to lifting point if planning to do it on commercial sites as safety NAZI’s will write you up if they see you jump on top of the box free-climbing...

stheis004

I'm very interested in this post. We have been researching/thinking out a new chip truck for awhile and are getting set to move forward with a fold-able/toneau style roof. One of the things holding us back a bit is that I haven't found anyone else who's done it and am asking myself am I missing something obvious?

We're a 2 man crew with a tree-mek and chip truck. Currently have a southco removable roof and it is not only time consuming to remove and replace (crane needed) but you also need to have the room to put the bulky roof panels somewhere. I really feel we could save some serious time just flipping up a few sections of roof at the end of the day and plop in the trunk wood.

Chaplain242

I'm very interested in this post. We have been researching/thinking out a new chip truck for awhile and are getting set to move forward with a fold-able/toneau style roof. One of the things holding us back a bit is that I haven't found anyone else who's done it and am asking myself am I missing something obvious?

We're a 2 man crew with a tree-mek and chip truck. Currently have a southco removable roof and it is not only time consuming to remove and replace (crane needed) but you also need to have the room to put the bulky roof panels somewhere. I really feel we could save some serious time just flipping up a few sections of roof at the end of the day and plop in the trunk wood.
Many have tried this, and the removeable sections work but are a little manpower and time consuming to bolt on/off.

Folding ones are a fantastic idea until the edges or tracks get bent or impacted by logs/booms and becomes a hassle to use.

Open top works well if happy to keep replacing plastic mesh or vinyl tarps as the thrown chips inévitably tear them up.

have seen some cool looking longitudinal alloy mesh screens that fold back over the cab on smaller trucks (can’t be a crane truck) that direct the thrown chips when folded down (little dusty but works). Not sure how they go with alloy cracking with this arrangement.

realky depends on what equipment you are using. Tough lasts. Intricate inevitably doesn’t last, especially if crane booms or mechanised equipment is involved in loading. Tough generally means weight which may or may not be important.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom