Red-tailed Hawk nest rebuild and putting a fallen young one back in

moss

High winds blew this Red-tailed Hawk nest to smithereens and tossed two nestlings to the ground from 85'-90'. One didn't make it, the other was picked up by an Ipswich, Massachusetts animal control officer, then turned over to wildlife rehabber Erin Hutchings of Cape Ann Wildlife out of Essex, Massachusetts. She brought it to the Tufts Veterinary School wildlife clinic where they took X-rays and gave it a clean bill of health. I was called in to rebuild the nest and put the young one back in. That's a lot of hours and miles traveled by everyone involved.

An hour and a half after I derigged the white pine nest tree the mother hawk returned to the nest. Near the end of the video you can see her circling the tree before she finally went in.

A couple photos at the new nest, tiny compared to the trampoline sized Bald Eagle nests that Steve Connally has been working with.

Mother circling before she returned

-AJ

Last edited:

moss

Aha, and I learned something (it’s near the end of the video) trying to dislodge some hung deadwood I’d thrown from the top. I tried to swing and kick it down but then found that my upper body and arm have more reach on rope than my legs and feet. Makes sense once I thought about it a little ;-)

moss

These videos are awesome man. How did you get into this kind of work? Is it volunteer basis?
I do tree work primarily. I’ve been doing cat rescues for years and this year the raptor work has really taken off no pun intended. I charge a small fee for this kind of work to cover my climber insurance and gas. If you’re interested in doing it I’d get in touch with your local wildlife rehabbers and animal control officers.
-AJ

cory

That was awesome, great job!

How long between when the chicks were blown out and when you reinstalled the little guy? Interesting the mother was still committed to the cause.

Ive had good luck with zip ties when resurrecting some bird nests

moss

That was awesome, great job!

How long between when the chicks were blown out and when you reinstalled the little guy? Interesting the mother was still committed to the cause.

Ive had good luck with zip ties when resurrecting some bird nests
Dude! Zip ties, brilliant and less likely to tangle with toes. I forgot to take my paracord out of my truck, had them hack a piece of throwline from my throw cube. No surprise my cube and throwline were a disaster when I packed up my gear ;-)

I’ll ask the rehabber how long it was away from the nest. It could be 48 hrs, it did a short stay at a wildlife vet clinic then a night at the rehabbers. I’ll get back to you.
-AJ

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom