RAD vs Grillon

Crimsonking

Opinions? I’m ready to go back to mechanical on my lanyard (so many pines), and am eyeing these devices. If the RAD and Grillon are a bust, what else are you using?

To simplify, here is the no list- Positioner, cinch, microcender, zillon.

CanadianStan

Opinions? I’m ready to go back to mechanical on my lanyard (so many pines), and am eyeing these devices. If the RAD and Grillon are a bust, what else are you using?

To simplify, here is the no list- Positioner, cinch, microcender, zillon.
No positioned? Ouch. How come?

Z'sTrees

This one...
KIMG0079.JPG
I've been using a petzl wire core on removals lately with their little rope grab, but I never had a problem with pitch and the bola

Crimsonking

I’m willing to have my mind changed, but I also really want to hear user experience of the other two devices. Crickets may be telling...

As for the bola- I liked it, but I didn’t like the edges inside that were always collecting rope fibers. It seemed a bit harsh on my line. It also could be tough to tend slack (sometimes sensitive elbows). Otherwise, it’s bomber.

My goal, besides sap friendly, is a device that tensions easily, and pays out smoothly with one hand.

I owned a cinch, and have considered revisiting, but I wasn’t able to pay out without the handle, making it clunky for me.

The zillon Just never appealed to me, even though I love using my zigzag.

I’ve used a microcender and have enjoyed it, but I can’t pay out under weight or with one hand, and pulling slack is tough on 13mm htp, one of my favorite lanyard lines. I’ve not used one with tritech, my current line.

The reason I didn’t like the Positioner was that I had a hard time finding the sweet spot of smooth payout, and I’ve heard a lot about it eating slack when not in use, leaving just the snap/biner sticking out when you reach for it to install.

The RAD and Grillon seem attractive for the 180 degree can wrap, putting the tail “seemingly” in an ideal tending location, and the release design, where they can be squeezed in doubled config or have the handle deployed for single (rare for me). The midline attachability and diameter range of the Grillon have me leaning toward it, but a screw doesn’t scare me away if someone has evidence of the rad being superior in performance. If I’m wrong about their ease of use, I will gladly accept that as well before finding out $150-200 later.

Z'sTrees

What rope we're you using in the bola?

A guy I work with has the went from the art positioner to a zillion and really likes it, although he ditched the rope they sell with it pretty quickly. He had a grillion ( I think it was anyway) and it seemed a bit clunky to use but I'm sure it would just take some getting used to.
The petzl grab on my wirecore is pretty nice for a basic rope grab. You can actually release it some with your weight in it.

rope-a-dope

When i use my cinch on a lanyard i put it on the left hip and can slack it 1 handed by grabbing and rotating the whole thing, no handle. It gets harder with more weight, then you have to go for the handle, but it works great for my pine lanyard.

Pelorus

I like the grillon, with Yale 11.7 rope (blue moon) for replacement lanyards. I've tried hydraulic hose anti-chafe protection (cordura?) over the rope for a bit longer lanyard life. The grillon doesnt like pine pitch very much at all. Probably nothing does.
Found the zillion to be way too sensitive to accidental bumps - just not enough rope friction, but will try again in near future with a fatter lanyard.

Jonny

I keep a separate lanyard for pitchy conifers with a Gibbs on it, pretty much same thing as your microcender.
Distel and micro pulley for everything else.

theatertech87

I didn't like the positioned for the same reason. Switched to a zillion and while I haven't climbed extensively with it, it definitely solved my lack of sweet spot issues. It also does a banging job when used as an SRT choked anchor way better than anything else I've tried. If you haven't actually tried the zillion I highly recommend it, it's a very intuitive switch coming from a zigzag

Crimsonking

So there was a big sale at arbor fest, and I bought the Positioner 2 swivel. I figured if I hated it, I could easily sell it for what I paid. Well, it’s not getting sold. Somewhat embarrassed for being dead set against it. I can’t imagine using something else. The slack eating issue isn’t what others made it sound like. I think their excess loop must be catching and pulling slack out, because mine has yet to gravity feed slack away from my biner.

As for payout under load, I followed the manual suggestion of holding the rope and trigger together. Within a week I wasn’t even thinking about it, and was using other techniques as well. The sap comes off easily enough, though the outside looks about 2 years old now.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Bucknut

I like the grillon, with Yale 11.7 rope (blue moon) for replacement lanyards. I've tried hydraulic hose anti-chafe protection (cordura?) over the rope for a bit longer lanyard life.
This is my exact setup. Including the Cordura. Love it.

The Positioner is probably better all around, but I’ve never tried one and sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The slack eating issue isn’t what others made it sound like. I think their excess loop must be catching and pulling slack out, because mine has yet to gravity feed slack away from my biner.

As for payout under load, I followed the manual suggestion of holding the rope and trigger together. Within a week I wasn’t even thinking about it, and was using other techniques as well. The sap comes off easily enough, though the outside looks about 2 years old now.
I’ve had my positioner for about a year and a half and can count on one hand the number of times it has eaten slack when I didn’t want it to. All occurrences happened trying to vertically advance my landyard when I had the rope in an essentially vertical position. If I’m trying to make a crucial throw I’ll put a slip knot right before the positioner to prevent that from happening.
Finally had my positioner not work due to rope gumming. Apparently 3 balsam fir removals in a row was too much for the lanyard or at least one spot on it. Worked fine as soon as it got past the inch and a half section that was the worst.

Sprucinator

I've been using an old grillon recently and couldn't stand it. Jams up waay to easily and I have to use both hands to pull slack out. May be because it's old but it's a lot of work.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom