Question For Canadian Arborists

macrocarpa

A friend who owns a landscape company told me yesterday his health insurance (for family of 3) is going up by 40% in 2021 and already has a $10,000 deductible. He is closing the business to seek employment where health care is provided because the expense has become too much. Also recently another friend who has worked as a carpenter for 20+ years and has always been paid as a subcontractor is now working nights at UPS strictly for health insurance where in the past when younger it wasn't as much of a concern.

The usual conversations took place that have been repeated over and over again, how does health care work in Canada and does it encourage entrepreneurship because the ever increasing expensive of health care burden is removed?

The conversation always ends with "yeah but they have to wait in lines for years to see a doctor and the quality of care is so much better here" I cannot count how many times I have heard this but I am genuinely interested in learning the truth?

So are there any Canadians who can clear this up for those of us relying on hear say?

Boomslang

It's very difficult to find a general practitioner and yes, you can wait a while for elective surgeries, but knowing that I'm covered if something urgent happens to me or my family is worth it.

A few months ago I went in to the ER due to some abdominal pain. I was taken in within 30 minutes, had a blood test, some x-rays, two MRIs, an ultrasound, plus a consult with the urologist....and then walked out knowing I would never see a bill.

Many workplaces up here have benefits that employees pay in to that covers things like medication, dental, and wellness (psychologist, naturopath, massage therapy, etc.) which isn't covered by government.

I can't really comment on the quality of care. I was in a hospital in Houston once as a kid and that's the extent of my experience with the US system. But I imagine the level of care is similar.

Last edited:

Timber1972

Like @Boomslang said you get looked after pretty good for tests etc in an emergency and wait times are long for elective surgery. Quality of care in northern and rural locations though is pretty poor compared to the bigger centers. Actually borders on malpractice at times. But you don't pay for it out of pocket just in taxes.

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk

macrocarpa

It seems like the security of having stable health care coverage would encourage entrepreneurship as it plays a huge factor. I know so many people tied to jobs they dont like strictly for the insurance and now friends closing small businesses because of the expense sucks to see.

pete3d

In my province medical insurance is free and prescription drug insurance is mostly covered by a provincial plan.
Despite living in a rural area we are served by dedicated and up to date healthcare professionals.
If you go to emergency with a non life threatening malady, be prepared for an eight to twelve hour wait. If you require elective surgery (a knee or hip replacement for example) expect to chill for about a year. If you require immediate medical attention you will get it right away.
Family doctors are encouraged to try to keep their patients healthy, and do for the most part, as I can attest myself having recently had cancer detected early, and treated quickly, with good effect - touch wood!

ATH

It sounds like an excuse to me. I left a State job ("great" insurance). Almost everybody who questioned that move asked "what about insurance". My reply was "if I can figure out the salary part, I can figure out another 20-30% to cover insurance. Also, I'm not going to sacrifice mental health (stay with job I don't enjoy) to hang on to health insurance.

There are options out there to keep costs down. MEWA, for example. Health care sharing organizations. If we were permitted to have "catastrophic only" policies, those would be a whole lot cheaper. If we were allowed to buy health insurance across state lines costs would be lower. If insurance companies were not mandated about every little thing they had to cover costs would be lower.

I agree that you would think there would be policies in place to encourage entrepreneurship, but anything close to that died 10 years ago and is only getting worse. Maybe making it suck for everybody no matter where you work is the answer to that particular question.

macrocarpa

It sounds like an excuse to me. I left a State job ("great" insurance). Almost everybody who questioned that move asked "what about insurance". My reply was "if I can figure out the salary part, I can figure out another 20-30% to cover insurance. Also, I'm not going to sacrifice mental health (stay with job I don't enjoy) to hang on to health insurance.

There are options out there to keep costs down. MEWA, for example. Health care sharing organizations. If we were permitted to have "catastrophic only" policies, those would be a whole lot cheaper. If we were allowed to buy health insurance across state lines costs would be lower. If insurance companies were not mandated about every little thing they had to cover costs would be lower.

I agree that you would think there would be policies in place to encourage entrepreneurship, but anything close to that died 10 years ago and is only getting worse. Maybe making it suck for everybody no matter where you work is the answer to that particular question.
I left a muni forester position with great health insurance and benefits too so I can relate. But my wife can provide insurance for the family which isn’t nearly as good and much more expensive but in general its pretty decent. If that weren’t the case It would have been much harder of a decision to start the business.

Reactions: ATH

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom