Q('s...) on face-shields for my 3M 'ground' helmets (+/- any that are compatible with "Pro-Tec"[/type] climb-helmets, too)

eyehearttrees

tl;dr: Mrea bnow requires face masking to get milk/go anywhere public. Have realized that a 3m full-face shield counts, sadly no brick&mortars have them....have wanted one or two for ages though, and figure now's the time but gonna have to go online to get it and I don't wanna waste time/money getting something I have to McGuyver to fit to my helmets(two generic XLR8 series(one partial-brim one full-brim, otherwise identical) and a Pro-Tec('xtreme sporting'-type) helmet for climbing....I get that the ProTec will likely need modding to take these shields but know the 3m's should take them directly/plug&play, just uncertain which I should get IE if those mount-points above-ears on logger-helmets are universal, like I see "logger's helmet kit" with an XLR8 bucket, a 3M shield and 3M ear-muffs....that's my setup just w/o face-shield, need to find what "type" I need(if I need to know a type for their ubiquitous XLR8 lineup, that is!!) before placing order, thanks a ton for any guidance here :D (there's some links below to some ebays that I think are 'best bets', I don't wanna "go nice" now as I've never even used a face-shield of this type so wanna try a 'generic'/basic before going arbor-specific on my helmets/facemask/comm-systems/etc(heh, yup I still just have walkie-talkies, no Sena on my sites ;P )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DETAILS:
So when my county (Tampa Bay area entirely, actually!!) made masks mandatory last week(LOL, here in FL, if 1yr ago you did surveys of "would you submit to mandatory-headdressings of ANY sort as a legal-requirement to purchase food?", let's be real it would've been high-90%'s giving an emphatic, over-my-dead-body NO, hell at that time the burka issue was still a thought so any mandatory-headdressings of any sort would never have flied, sickens me how the news can so-easily sway a citizenry like it has here....think I'm the only one who noticed that nobody cheered or abated their fears when we "did it" and "flattened the curve" to prevent that scary situation of too-many-sick for our resources, that past and nobody cared / got less scared......anyways, last night I saw a grocery-clerk wearing a full-face plexi-glass mask, and everything became clear to me for how to handle doing something *every* day that I am vehemently against(compulsory dressings)---NOW, it's time to start using this to my advantage and, instead of just a lil dust mask, am planning to start wearing my climb-helmet with a plexi-shield when going in-stores ;D (((Uncertain if it's just my nature or whatever but if I go-out and strangers can tell I climb, I get inundated w/ new (potential, but I have a very high 'success rate' here!!) clients this way in fact I've had to tell myself to never wear my saddle into a store unless too-beaten (just feels a touch unfair scooping clients this way, but it works so darn well that, hate to say it, but if I didn't have the clientele I do I'd probably be wearing a harness every time I went to the store ;P ))))))

But............Where the heck are you guys getting masks now, during this public-hysteria Re coronovirus-19?? I went to Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and Ace Hardware, none had any AND I got >1 place telling me that, when they re-stock some, it won't be for general-sale anyway (actually Home Depot kid told me that, even if he knew a box hidden out back, that their systems have re-coded them and an associate couldn't complete the checkout if they tried!!!)

W/O getting into the likelihood/practicality of whether there's ANY valid reason for mask-shortages 1/2yr into "this crisis", I simply want a mask to protect my face....I understand they're not steel-armor but better than nothing, hell just being able to ditch safety-glasses and, instead, have big clear window, is enough for me!!! But I've wanted one for ages, didn't get to it because wasn't a big priority but, since I now have to wear a headdress in public, I see zero reason not to go and use my arb-helmet(but it'll need a shield or it won't count!!!)

SO...........ANY specific info's would be greatly appreciated, I'm great at sourcing items (although model#'s, hell just brands that're better/worse, would be of great value to me buying my 1st-ever clear-mask!!), problem is I wanna ensure it's "compatible" and I've no idea how to tell...my only "game plan" here was to ensure it was 3M branded, and simply cross my fingers :p For what it's worth, the "mount spots" on my pair of ground-helmets are identical (it's a pair of 3M white hardhats, one's full- / one's partial-/front-only-brimmed, and my black Pro-Tec helmet I climb with) but if I'm behind honest I really would prefer a faceshield for my CLIMB helmet than one of my ground-helmets, if that makes sense?

Thanks a TON for any advice/help on this one guys(&gals!!!!) I've been poking-around ebay&amazon, it appears PLENTY of US-based sellers have them in-stock in the ~$12--20 range(shipped, from my quadrant of the US), heck it was a woman wearing a thin plexi face-shield who was ahead of me in-line today that I'd asked about it and she reminded me of the obvious amazon/ebay route so I went and put $$ on my online-purchases account and came-home to order one but now I've just got this browser window w/ this tab and like 15+ other ebay&amazon tabs, each with a facemask, that I'm whittlin' away (actually it's probably of-use to show some of the varied stuff I'm looking at....I'm not worried about "diesel screens" I mean I don't want 0.5mm plastic but 1/2" seems like wayyyy overkill to me, anyways these seemed like some of the most-practical, highest-value face-shields to put on 3M (and hopefully ProTec, even if modified onto it) helmets, am not looking for super-special gear simply a clear(or slightly tinted) face-shield yknow :D
Some links to some of the ones I was looking at. To be clear, my 3M helmets are the 'bare-bones' ones that utility companies buy in-bulk, just your standard XLR8 series 3M's with the "bungee'd" head-support and the turn-wheel forehead-tightener for securing to your head, just the most basic you can imagine...the climb-helmet is a ProTec so not made for trees, am expecvting I'll have to mod that to take a "standard 3M-type screen" but will be worth it(hmmm, that helmet is getting swapped to a white one soon, perhaps I'll swap brands but am veryyyy partial to Pro-Tec, have just seen them work perfect so many times when I was a bike!! Those links to the ones I think are best-bets for "value for a 3M-type face-shield":
'standard', the type I'd expected HF and HD would've had in-stock, this is 1/4" but for another $5 I could go 1/2", that seems heavy/overkill though.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-82581-0...331666?hash=item4daddb98d2:g:j8AAAOSwDjNe6-ki
This type I'd never seen before, though seems it could be a more-comfortable setup(allowing you to look-downwards w/o nearly as much hassle!) https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-82543-0...116765&hash=item4dacf194ec:g:TNkAAOSwOWBe1WUd
AAAAAAAAaaaand, last but not least, while I suspect it could be same-as the 1st link, it appears to be 'smoked'/not fully clear, IF this is an option I VERY much wanna/gotta go that way!!! Saw some in gold but prices were closer to a hundo :p

Last edited:

Reach

So the two links you posted will not actually attach to your hard hat, they’re made as replacement shields for a face shield; you will need the mounting brackets to make them attach to your hat. Check out welding supply stores, they may/should be able to get you what you need at a real, in-person store.

Keep in mind though that the clear shields scratch very easily, so you’ll have to plan to replace frequently or get used to working half blind all the time. After 6 months or so, my Petzl shield gets annoying scratched, to the point where I can only half see through it.

The gold shields are very expensive because they’re typically heat-reflective, and may be a rated shade - likely a #5, for cutting torches. Too dark for everyday use unless you like crashing into walls and rear-ending little old ladies with your shopping cart.

eyehearttrees

So the two links you posted will not actually attach to your hard hat, they’re made as replacement shields for a face shield; you will need the mounting brackets to make them attach to your hat. Check out welding supply stores, they may/should be able to get you what you need at a real, in-person store.

Keep in mind though that the clear shields scratch very easily, so you’ll have to plan to replace frequently or get used to working half blind all the time. After 6 months or so, my Petzl shield gets annoying scratched, to the point where I can only half see through it.

The gold shields are very expensive because they’re typically heat-reflective, and may be a rated shade - likely a #5, for cutting torches. Too dark for everyday use unless you like crashing into walls and rear-ending little old ladies with your shopping cart.
welding supply huh? Guess I thought clear visors (that'd mount right onto a 3M) were a standard option in arborist-PPE...will google for welding stores, will be nice to have someone show it all to me in-person, thanks :)

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom