treesap

I just had an idea, its a line setting device that a throwline gets tied to, and goes on a compound bow, replaces the arrow with a carbon fiber or aluminum rod, and has a bit of weight, sort of like the bigshot or apta, but for people who already have a compound bow, and dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on one of the above mentioned tools, in theory it would be accurate, and you could set a line 150 or so ft.

good idea or nah?

treesap

ahh yeahhh, crap

since that wont work, I am also wondering about how well one of the cheap $10 slingshots would set a throwline, I doubt it would be much better than doing it by hand, but it might be worth a shot

no, the pun was not intended

Cereal_Killer

Obviously laws are different place to place but around here you can bowfish on any public water and you're not considered to have a weapon, just "fishing equipment".

You can build an APTA for <$50, zip tie a $3 eBay laser pointer to it and have the best line setting tool available. Take your time and follow directions when doing your glue joints and don't pump a diy pvc APTA much above 60psi or so (not that you'll need to for Midwest trees).

Reactions: ATH

treesap

Obviously laws are different place to place but around here you can bowfish on any public water and you're not considered to have a weapon, just "fishing equipment".

You can build an APTA for <$50, zip tie a $3 eBay laser pointer to it and have the best line setting tool available. Take your time and follow directions when doing your glue joints and don't pump a diy pvc APTA much above 60psi or so (not that you'll need to for Midwest trees).
I have a potato gun, might try it out this weekend, just a pain since it has a solenoid valve, so I have to bring a battery of some sort, and its annoying to pump up by hand, really tho, once you can get the second from the first limb, you can do the rest by hand usually

"I have a potato gun"
Me2
Had a weird experience with my APTA a couple of years ago - somebody called the black and whites - I do have a red dot scope on it (a la Tom Hoffman) - but this was after the line setting was done and it was on the ground on the case I use for it. Short explanation and the guys were really nice - it helped that I have the thing covered in arb stickers too maybe. But you never really know what people/ passersby will do in this paranoid age we live in. Something new every day . . . .

treesap

"I have a potato gun"
Me2
Had a weird experience with my APTA a couple of years ago - somebody called the black and whites - I do have a red dot scope on it (a la Tom Hoffman) - but this was after the line setting was done and it was on the ground on the case I use for it. Short explanation and the guys were really nice - it helped that I have the thing covered in arb stickers too maybe. But you never really know what people/ passersby will do in this paranoid age we live in. Something new every day . . . .
hey, doubles as the "pick up after yer dogs™ "

southsoundtree

ahh yeahhh, crap

since that wont work, I am also wondering about how well one of the cheap $10 slingshots would set a throwline, I doubt it would be much better than doing it by hand, but it might be worth a shot

Learning to throw well is a money maker.

Can't get faster than a hand throw, when you can hit it first try.

60' or under for these aging joints.
Some are accurate, reportedly to 80'+.

treesap

60' or under for these aging joints.
Some are accurate, reportedly to 80'+.
hey, according to my neighbors grandson he is accurate to 200+ ft with a 16oz bag... and yes, hand throwing will obviously be better for most of your work, unless its something like one of the pine trees in my front yard at my old house, first limbs were 110 or so ft, I dont know exactly what type of pine they were, but I see them all over the place

Jehinten

hey, according to my neighbors grandson he is accurate to 200+ ft with a 16oz bag... and yes, hand throwing will obviously be better for most of your work, unless its something like one of the pine trees in my front yard at my old house, first limbs were 110 or so ft, I dont know exactly what type of pine they were, but I see them all over the place
Sounds like he's exaggerating. Lighter throw weights go higher (10-12oz is typically used) 16oz is often used for double bagging.

Most people setting lines that high (200') start out with a launcher and fishing line since its lighter, then pull up throwline then rope.

treesap

Sounds like he's exaggerating. Lighter throw weights go higher (10-12oz is typically used) 16oz is often used for double bagging.

Most people setting lines that high (200') start out with a launcher and fishing line since its lighter, then pull up throwline then rope.
yeah, I was joking, although he does seem to always think he does everything better, including tying knots, lol

ahh yeahhh, crap

I've seen people use masons line with fishing sinkers. that combination seems to work well with slingshots. I think TheTreeCamper on youtube does that. Climb safe :)

Jonny

I bought a few of those triple band slingshots for Christmas presents this year and kept one for myself too. Lot of fun plinking cans in the backyard, definitely not powerful enough to send a 12 ounce bag any distance, but a fishing sinker might be fine. I’ll probably lose sight of it almost immediately. A little orange flagging tape would probably not hinder the flight much.
Whenever it warms up, I’ll go play with it.

treesap

I bought a few of those triple band slingshots for Christmas presents this year and kept one for myself too. Lot of fun plinking cans in the backyard, definitely not powerful enough to send a 12 ounce bag any distance, but a fishing sinker might be fine. I’ll probably lose sight of it almost immediately. A little orange flagging tape would probably not hinder the flight much.
Whenever it warms up, I’ll go play with it.
tell me how it works, tried a throwline for the first time a few hours ago, cant see much need for anything better than hand throws below maybe 50-60ft, but there is always a time and a place for more tools

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom