Printers in the truck?

climbhightree

I have been probably doing this for at least 10 years for estimates, and I love it. HP mobile printers have been my go to printer (battery powered and Bluetooth). At the estimate appointment I just type it up on my phone in QuickBooks mobile, and then send it to the printer via PrinterShare app and Bluetooth (or I can sent it to my google cloud printer in the office).

As to the freeze/thaw - I have never had an issue with that, but I do park in a heated garage.

Jehinten

I've considered a printer for the customers who don't text or email, but was worried about cold and bouncing around in the truck. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it for me due to there only being 2-3 customers in the last few years that I couldn't send info to electronically.

Following along though, incase there's a higher demand in the future.

SumoClimber

If you're worried about the inks freezing, consider a laser printer. Toner comes in a dust form and is fused to the paper, rather than being sprayed on. Used to work for a company that manufactured sausage stuffers and other industrial food processing equipment, one of our customers had 14 acres of building under refrigeration and any printer in the cold parts of the building was either a laser, or in the case of some of the label printers, thermal.

ATH

Laser printers are quite a bit bigger. Thermal look to be about 2.5-3x as tall as the printers I posted.

There are some very small thermal printers that will print a full page, but require thermal paper...and are about 2x the cost.

Not that this disqualifies either, just makes them less convenient...but if freezing ink is a problem, maybe they are better options. Between those 2, I'd do the laser even though they are bigger just because of the thermal paper...

Last edited:

ATH

I might be old school but I'll write my quotes/invoices by hand or email them. I just don't need or want any more shit in my truck.
I've been doing that too. I despise doing the same thing twice...so if I'm writing the quote in Jobber, it is ready to print and I have a copy. Then when it is time to invoice, I click finish and print the invoice rather than writing it out on another note page. I have really nice completely custom carbonless notepads from Personalized Paper (https://printpps.com/), just looking for better options.

Bob Bob

The (non-tree) company I work for uses small Cannon mobile printers everyday in a fleet of utility vans. We have found the Cannon models last much longer than the HPs. The printers run on a small 350-400 watt power inverter. A laserjest printer would require a much large inverter and wouldn't be practical due to size and power needs. The battery powered mobile printers are great in theory but in our experience the batteries are junk and expensive to replace; after a few months you'll be wanting an inverter. I would recommend not leaving the inkjet printers in freezing temperatures.

Reactions: ATH

Reach

A note on freezing ink: it looks like it’s not a real concern, according to a little quick Google research. If you live in northern Canada you might have a concern on a real cold day, but for the rest of us, our sub-freezing temperatures should not be a problem.

ATH

....Cannon models last much longer than the HPs. The printers run on a small 350-400 watt power inverter. A laserjest printer would require a much large inverter and wouldn't be practical due to size and power needs. The battery powered mobile printers are great in theory but in our experience the batteries are junk and expensive to replace; after a few months you'll be wanting an inverter. ...
Thanks for the input. That Canon was one I was looking at. Was planning to add the battery, but maybe just wiring an inverter is a better idea. Can get a pretty good inverter for less than half of the $100 battery...

owScott

I might be old school but I'll write my quotes/invoices by hand or email them. I just don't need or want any more shit in my truck.
I agree, I like to hand write and give the customer a copy on the spot. Strike when the iron is hot. I do email for big commercial jobs though. I think some people appreciate the old school method, it seems more personal.

ATH

So an HP Laser Jet M15W only draws 200 watts peak demand, so a modest inverter can take care of that.

It is:
13.6" wide x 7.5" deep x 6.3" tall compared to the Canon which is
12.7" wide x 7.3" deep x 2.5" tall
so the big number is 4" taller.

Thinking this may be worth trying.

jed1124

I use the Cannon Pixma ip110. Works great. It goes out with me in my briefcase with my laptop. The battery is sold separately and lasts with a full charge for a couple days of proposals.

It is blue tooth capable but I use the hard wire as it is faster.

Reactions: ATH
Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom