Praire Chapter TCC

rborist1

A good time was had by all, 30 competitors. Dan the man Kraus paid a visit. I did'nt compete.......I ended up judging the speed climb, Frank Chipps came in first by a mile .

Gord

Good work Frank. Blair was telling me that Frank made real smmoth work of the master's challenge. any details on what he did/gear he used?

Gord

:) dwayne and frank were talking about it when they were in victoria at our jamboree... but they were just a wee bit vague. speaking of the ITCC where is it slated for next year?

rborist1

Gord,

How sore was "old man Veitch" when he got back to work? I have known Blair for many a year. Last week was the first time I saw him in years. It was good to see him. The ITCC will be held in Pittsburgh in 2004. Dan the man knows about the secret weapon too and I guarentee he ain't talkin. :)

Gord

He wasn't leaning too heavily on his cane:)

He was telling me today of back when he started they'd work 14 hours days for months straight...trying to get me to put in some OT...sheesh this young generation (i'm 21.)

i'll find someone to talk, now i'm curious

Daniel_Kraus

Yes it was a great comp, set up in the traditional far north style, to hard for most. Not to hard for Frank Chips though, he was kicking butt all day. From his disappoint in his footlock time (13 secs flat), to his secret weapon in the masters challenge (can’t say what it is or it wouldn’t be a secret), we should have renamed the comp the Tour de Frank!

Frank wasn’t the only star; I was lucky enough to get to know another climber Dave Lutes. Dave came in forth place. Only 6 months ago Dave took a big fall when he came off his short rope in a big tree. He shattered his femur (now it’s held together with a titanium rod and screws) and sent a broken poll saw into one side of his body and out the other. Did I mention he came in forth place?

There were five female climbers including Kathy from PNW. WE talked with a few during the equipment check the night before, another Kathy said “Oh I’m just a student at the Horticulture college, not sure what I’m going to do tomorrow. Then she wins all the speed events (31 sec footlock) and the overall.

After the comp most of us went to a campground where we were treated to stakes hot off the grill with all the fixings. Climb, eat, drink, and song. Out came the guitars, harmonicas, and spoons. Witnessing all the musical talent got me thinking how there is so much more to a person than how fast they can footlock. Cheers.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Nice wrap-up Dan. I agree. And, I'm constantly being asked "WHY" or "HOW" do you keep competing after all these years (this year was my 13th year at the ITCC), and they are often surprised by the answer. It usually sounds something like the feeling you described, not about the actual competing part.

This is why I always try to get climbers to come and compete. You don't need to worry about if you will win or lose, rather take a look around- learn, share and grow as an arborist and as a person. You may not feel fulfilled by your performance that day, but you will never be a loser. What you get to keep (free of charge) form being a part of such an event is possibly the most rewarding. It may be different for all, but equally valuable nonetheless.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom