Power Line Reference Book

Anthony Bauwens

I am interested to know if any UA's have a or use a powerline/hardware/ identification reference guide or something similar to help aid risk assessments and or on site recognition of potential hazards. I dont work specifically with a utility contractor but as a residential climber I end up around them often. thank you

Simpleiowaguy

I know here in Iowa a residential climber can't work within 10ft of a powerline legally. I am a line clearance trimmer and have to go to safe zones quite frequently so that a private company can complete the task. I will dig around and see what I can find for you.

Jim Maloney

Hi Anthony.
I'm a UA in Central NY and I also sit the UAA's Training Committee. What you are looking for varies by the construction standards of the local utility. I can get you a visual guide to the identification of what’s on a pole here which may translate to what you see there but no guarantees.

The right way to go about learning is to take a EHAP course. If you check out the TCIA website, look under training, then EHAP. You’ll also note that some of the training is FREE! Yup. FREE! TCIA received a grant from OSHA to give the training at no cost to the attendees so if you can find one local – GO!

LimbLoppa

Anthony,
. The hardware and setup of the electrical systems in cities vary dependent upon the utility that owns/maintains them. I would start by touching base with the Forrester overseeing the UA's in your area. This will help insure you get pertinent information for your area.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom