Positioner swivel benefits?

climbstihl

I'm thinking about getting a positioner, I always hear the swivel is pretty much a necessity, but never why. I don't really see much advantage to it, besides easier tending from all angles.
Anyone care to tell me how wrong I am?

Brocky

The price difference is the only downside of the swivel, it’s nice to be able to twist into comfortable position. A floppy type tether would do the same and be cheaper.

climbstihl

Not a fan of a tether, both because of added length, and it defeats the purpose of getting the positioner, I need to replace the hitch I'm using as my adjuster on my wire-core, because a hitch is not cut resistant. I thought maybe having the swivel gives a huge benefit because of the way the positioner behaves, that's why I asked. Never missed a swivel on the hitch, or on the Cinch I use for my lanyard.

GreenstoneVT

I own both. Bought the non-swivel first, got the swivel shortly thereafter. The swivel version not only tends more easily but sets more consistently as well. Not that I feel it is unsafe or anything - I still use both (but would swap out for 2 swivels in a heartbeat). Just in some awkward positions it can have issues setting with slight side pressure that the swivel seems to mitigate.

climbstihl

I own both. Bought the non-swivel first, got the swivel shortly thereafter. The swivel version not only tends more easily but sets more consistently as well. Not that I feel it is unsafe or anything - I still use both (but would swap out for 2 swivels in a heartbeat). Just in some awkward positions it can have issues setting with slight side pressure that the swivel seems to mitigate.
Do you use it on a wire-core or a rope lanyard? Does it behave differently there on either one?

climbstihl

Ok, I'll be running it on a wire-core primarily, my current one feels like 11mm, although it's marketed as 13mm. Don't really need anything for rope lanyards, love my cinch, and if I need a CE system I use a hitch with hitch climber, that's the most versatile for me.
The primary reason I'm looking at the positioner is because the basic version doesn't cost much more than a rope grab...

Crimsonking

One advantage of the swivel is that it doesn’t matter if your snap end gets pulled through the loop between the positioner and your termination end. This means less fuss in awkward positions.

climbstihl

One advantage of the swivel is that it doesn’t matter if your snap end gets pulled through the loop between the positioner and your termination end. This means less fuss in awkward positions.
Never really had that problem before, using a hitch, but I happened to spend way less money last month that I thought I would have too, so I think I'll treat myself to the swivel version anyway...

Steve Connally

I run the swivel and I find it necessary to keep the biner from loading in an awkward configuration sometimes. The other option is a half twist clevis but then there is another piece in the chain of gear. I personally wouldn't own one without a swivel. Theres all kinds of wacky positions you have to be in and generally my biner always loads true and exactly how I want it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom