Pinto Pulley, Pulling Slack

LittleTreeGuy

Just joined yesterday and I wanted to share a technique to see if anyone has done it before and to get feedback. I was climbing(srt) a very wide spread riverbirch yesterday and I had to do a long limb walk, so I set my lanyard on a adjacent branch and begin my limb walk and realize my tail is over another branch back towards the base of the tree. I didn't really feel like pulling a big bite over so I could climb off of it so I had a random idea to use my spare pinto and carabiner to pull me some slack, so I put my pinto on the rope and clipped the carabiner with it to a side loop on my saddle so that the pinto pulls my tail and feeds my system rope as I limb walk out. Just want to know if someone has done this before or any pointers on this technique.

LittleTreeGuy

What does it do differently from the pulley on your akimbo or wrench?
I cant understand if you're asking what the pinto does or the difference between the wrench and akimbo, so I'll answer both.

The pinto just pulls the tail for you to limb walk so it doesnt put the stress of pulling the rope on your system.

And in my experience there really isn't a difference in akimbo and rope wrench using this technique.

I hope that answered your question.

I cant understand if you're asking what the pinto does or the difference between the wrench and akimbo, so I'll answer both.

The pinto just pulls the tail for you to limb walk so it doesnt put the stress of pulling the rope on your system.

And in my experience there really isn't a difference in akimbo and rope wrench using this technique.

I hope that answered your question.
I'm asking what your pinto is solving that the pulley on your multicender doesn't. The way I'm interpreting what you're doing sounds redundant. Which means I probably don't understand what you're describing.

LittleTreeGuy

I'm asking what your pinto is solving that the pulley on your multicender doesn't. The way I'm interpreting what you're doing sounds redundant. Which means I probably don't understand what you're describing.
I'm probably explaining it poorly, basically the pinto is pulling rope to me from over another branch so I don't have to, it's just for me to clip on my saddle and be lazy.

climbstihl

I'm probably explaining it poorly, basically the pinto is pulling rope to me from over another branch so I don't have to, it's just for me to clip on my saddle and be lazy.
but you shouldn't have to, most systems, including the rope wrench and akimbo, already have a pulley incorporated. I will admit that the pulley on the pinto is not the best, so it might make a difference there.

Matthew Stone

You're clipping it off to the side loop so you can pull your tail up with your walking movement, without as much side load? Do you pull slack between the device and the pinto? While sacrificing the 2:1 aspect of the hand ascender and pulley, I guess you don't burn extra rope... Can't be as steady though?
Edit to add drawing-- is this what's happening? I know it's not the best! IMG_20200116_131605032.jpg

Last edited:

southsoundtree

That sketch is very informative.

MS Paint is a PITA sometimes by comparison.

You're redirecting the tail to a new location. Are you using a long bridge instead of stock length?

LittleTreeGuy

You're clipping it off to the side loop so you can pull your tail up with your walking movement, without as much side load? Do you pull slack between the device and the pinto? While sacrificing the 2:1 aspect of the hand ascender and pulley, I guess you don't burn extra rope... Can't be as steady though?
Edit to add drawing-- is this what's happening? I know it's not the best! View attachment 64754
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing your drawimg is a lot better than mine and no I don't pull the rope between my pinto and climbing system I don't really have to. And it is like you said you don't burn as much rope, I mainly just thought it up because I didnt feel like pulling my rope tail to me or anything. And to answer your question no in my experience it is actually just as comfortable as having the rope tail under you.

Attachments

LittleTreeGuy

but you shouldn't have to, most systems, including the rope wrench and akimbo, already have a pulley incorporated. I will admit that the pulley on the pinto is not the best, so it might make a difference there.
You're right you don't have to do this but, in my experience only using the climbing system can be a pain.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Seems like a whole ado about nothing. Whatever floats your boat. Tending rope and taking it with you is part of climbing. Or do like the cool kids and start draggin tail....

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Or shortset your SRT anchor so you have your TIP height plus 10-20ft extra... And avoid having to pull through your entire climbing line everywhere
That is the ticket....I have tons of rope so I use the correct length for work to be done.....so many ways to deal with shite....

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom