Palm Tree Help

laddo

I know nothing about palm trees and need help with identification, por favor. Thanks!
12755f8ecb38f11ed14b9b266264968c.jpg

a882aca4041e45aed73675409476f16c.jpg

5f3f8aee2c63c2ac2fd8a6f307b36619.jpg

• Aim High, Climb Trees •

Rusticus

I'm not much into grasses, but the best I can tell from the pictures:
The first looks like medjool palm
The second looks like sabal
The third looks could a washingtonia if not a sabal for the ones in the foreground. Maybe a date palm of some kind in the background.

The petiole base seem to be the better distinguishing feature between the two palmate ones. Also the washingtonians took more freeze damage of the two.

laddo

I'm not much into grasses, but the best I can tell from the pictures:
The first looks like medjool palm
The second looks like sabal
The third looks could a washingtonia if not a sabal for the ones in the foreground. Maybe a date palm of some kind in the background.

The petiole base seem to be the better distinguishing feature between the two palmate ones. Also the washingtonians took more freeze damage of the two.
thanks so much.... i know nothing of grass either... i was thinking it was a mix of sabal palms and canary date palms.... we definitely had an unusual cold snap here this year where the canary dates did get a good bit of freeze damage... is this somthing they could come back from? my customer wants them pruned

Rusticus

thanks so much.... i know nothing of grass either... i was thinking it was a mix of sabal palms and canary date palms.... we definitely had an unusual cold snap here this year where the canary dates did get a good bit of freeze damage... is this somthing they could come back from? my customer wants them pruned

In south Texas, we're just now seeing them come back from the damage. Most informed folks are waiting before pruning, to see if they are coming back. I think in another couple weeks, one could tell the survivors from the dead.

The picture shows a canary island date palm just starting to put on new leaves from the meristem. About 1/3 of them seem to be this way, but the date palms and sabals will recover well, I expect.

Attachments

• 16166780233724346394212149643291.jpg
    16166780233724346394212149643291.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 7

laddo

In south Texas, we're just now seeing them come back from the damage. Most informed folks are waiting before pruning, to see if they are coming back. I think in another couple weeks, one could tell the survivors from the dead.

The picture shows a canary island date palm just starting to put on new leaves from the meristem. About 1/3 of them seem to be this way, but the date palms and sabals will recover well, I expect.

How can you tell the difference between a date palm and a canary date?

Lignotuber

Big ones look like Phoenix dactylifera and the small ones look like Livistona chinensis to me. Main differences I see between the regular date and canary is the dactylifera (reg) has a lighter/ more glaucous tone to the fronds, they are also bent less at the tips and more spread out, and the "trunks" are generally thinner and have a more textured pseudo bark. I'm not a palm "expert" and not familiar with common species of your area though ✌️

Rusticus

How can you tell the difference between a date palm and a canary date?

It seems to me that the canary dates have a fatter trunk and the petiole scars on the trunk are less obvious than the medjools. Also the petiole bases are differently shaped...more flat on the canary dates. I realize this can be all site specific and we all look at trees differently for those details. Seed pods may be a good distinguishing trait if you can catch them right.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom