Owl nests again

moss

Tis the season, built a new nest for a Great Hornd Owl family and put a fallen 3 week-old owlet in the luxurious new digs. The original nest was the remains of a gray squirrel nest in a red oak. The nest worked until it didn't and the single young owl fell about 45' feet. A wildlife rehabber checked it out and gave it a clean bill of health. Overnight it was placed low in a small tree in a milk crate with leaves in it. I was able to swing over to the small tree and retrieve the owlet after the new nest was finished. The mother had visited the milk crate overnight and there was half a rabbit in the crate. In the vid I'm letting the owlet chew on the rabbit after I put it in the new nest.

https://flic.kr/p/2kSDVs2
51112123692_3954b57918_c.jpg

51112597133_6f68e14003_c.jpg

All the photos here:
https://flickr.com/photos/naturejournal/albums/72157718915352709/

-AJ

RogerM

Moss, we have a great horned owl and two owlets on our property. The owlets are branching at this point...so far, so good. I hope i can reach out if ever there is a need... great job and Thank you.

ATH

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Question for clarification: did you build the next before any owls were there and then the family showed up to use the nest...or did you just build the next to rescue the fallen owl?

Looks like it was having trouble pulling pieces off. Next video, I expect you to pre-chew the pieces for the owlet.

moss

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Question for clarification: did you build the next before any owls were there and then the family showed up to use the nest...or did you just build the next to rescue the fallen owl?

Looks like it was having trouble pulling pieces off. Next video, I expect you to pre-chew the pieces for the owlet.

It was an existing nest that failed, the owlet fell to the ground, I built a new nest on top of the failed nest.

Yeah that was something mom left behind, too big a chunk for the young'n to gulp down. I was testing it's vigor and it passed with flying colors. The mother is back in the nest with the kid today, I trust she's tearing the food into bite size pieces.
-AJ

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom