One handed groundie, help?

Lord Baby Arm

Let me know if this link works (I couldn’t figure out how to add the video to the post), this is an older video of how I use a wheelbarrow

There’s a bunch of other ways I do stuff but this one was handy since I don’t have much time at the moment.
Note that I exaggerated my left arms uselessness to illustrate the point of how it could work for someone with only one arm all together, since the person I made the video to help didn’t have a left arm at all.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Two wheel wheelbarrows are great, for one or two hands, without the user being attached at all.

A crew member got caught between the handles and crashed with a heavy load once. Knee cap on a rock...i was thinking she might have broke it, but didn't.

The munter hitch mentioned was in relation to light holding and lowering.

A person can carry a sling/ rope and biner easily in a pocket, and quicky employ it.

Stihl and others now make those one-hander chainsaws with the tiny bar. Maybe another thing available. Easy to carry, I would think.

I consider one on a groundie's belt for little work in the dropzone, rather than carrying in a full-sized saw that then has to be carried out.

Lord Baby Arm

I also have a length of rope with a bowline tied on one end to go around my right leg and a little loop of paracord prussik around the other end. It makes it fast to adjust the length of the part I attach to things. I use the rope for raking, I bought a pair of log tongs that I hold with the rope for carrying bigger logs and grabbing brush piles to drag so that I can keep the work load even on my back, I also use a small pickaroon quite a bit in my right hand in combination with the log tongs, with a lightweight carabiner that can break away if necessary the rope can offer support in holding a chainsaw but make certain that your hand or forearm is in a position that will activate the chain brake, and I’m sure that you would fine many other uses for the rope that I haven’t mentioned. I also bought a “gorilla gripper” which makes it rather easy for my to move and layout plywood by myself. Another tool I’d like to have too attach to my rope is a wide open hook with a blunt point. I can think of countless times it would be handy
12FC8ED1-5A0E-4AC2-AADA-5C8BD5EA1693.jpeg 283E0A14-3C65-48D5-84DD-5239132DFFA5.jpeg E56DE041-5FCC-41BC-A5FF-A999743C2A7B.jpeg

Lord Baby Arm

Two wheel wheelbarrows are great, for one or two hands, without the user being attached at all.

A crew member got caught between the handles and crashed with a heavy load once. Knee cap on a rock...i was thinking she might have broke it, but didn't.

at work we use a two wheeled wheelbarrow as well. I prefer the single wheelbarrow as it’s more maneuverable. Plus I’ve dumped the two wheeled ones far more trapping my legs between the handles. I imagine it’s personal preference though :)

Lord Baby Arm

here’s how I use the log tongs in conjunction with the rope. Palm fronds aren’t the easiest to grab with the tongs, but you can drag seriously big piles of brush when dealing with normal trees.
EBF7B130-8665-45EA-9343-EFD2FFA8EF44.jpeg

the plywood grabber I use with my good hand and is pretty straightforward. Plus I don’t need to put plywood out today so I’m not gonna get any pictures of it. Figuring out unique ways to use the rope has been the biggest thing for me. But I can’t stress this enough: make sure to remove the rope any time you’re by/working with the chipper.
And lastly, it’s easy to imagine what things someone can’t do even though they may actually be able to do it. Not saying that you would consciously do that, but I imagine it’s easy to accidentally do it while trying to be considerate. Just let him try things if the job can afford the time. And good luck!! I’d be glad to offer more insight if asked, but I think I’ve hit all the big things that helped me

southsoundtree

Been here a while
I always try to stay out from between the handles.

A custom handle might help with a raised grip that can go in the crook of the elbow, avoiding any attachment.
???

kludge

What about a figure 8 on a saddle?

It would decrease the load on the hand and increase the ability to apply more body bracing.

Also, you could attatch with zip ties if you wanted the figure 8 to break away.

Lord Baby Arm

With a bit of time I think that he would get used to the weight on a sling. Eventually my left shoulder reduced the bruising and the discomfort became tolerable. And the size loads you can drag even shocks me sometimes. That said, keep tinkering to find what works best for you guys I’d be interested to see any creative solutions you guys come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom