Ocean Polyester 10mm eye

Phil

I want to make a multi sling:

I want to make it out of 10mm Ocean Poly though because I like the color contrast better. Research has led me to believe I can use class 1 double braid eye instructions.

From an old 2012 forum post Nick says its cover is 16 strands:

Tree stuff says its 24 strand:

So here are my questions:

1. Has OP changed cover construction since Nick's post in 2012?

2. is a class 1 dbl braid still good for this?

Thank you for your inputs :)

Phil

I've used nick's taper tip since he first posted it. Just made a new lanyard out of 10mm OP and it looked the same as I remember it.

Helpful video with a wicked catchy song.
That's wasn't a very helpful video from a "learning to splice so I need info" perspective. No measurement information and a lot of really unnecessary close ups with the wrong part in focus. I'm not saying it's a bad video. The editing and music is great if the goal was a sultry rope burlesque dance. I can't be sure but I'm pretty sure that tape was covering something provocative on the rope.

I'm looking for legit info on the rope/splice though.

I'm going to bookmark this video though so the next time I'm feeling tipsy and randy, I got something to help get the job done.

Brocky

I counted 32 strands, by using the tan Technora strands, count around by zig zagging completely around, these each cross over a strand, so multiply your zig zag count by two.

Phil

I counted 32 strands, by using the tan Technora strands, count around by zig zagging completely around, these each cross over a strand, so multiply your zig zag count by two.
So how does the strand count affect the cover taper? are we aiming for 50% strand removal spread out over the legnth of the cover tail? I know the taper should be smooth and gradual but from everything I've seen so far, there is no exact rule to follow. There are strand counts (5,5,5 or 4,4,5 etc) that are used but it seems as long as the cover taper is nice and gradual, its all good. Or am I assuming too much based on the videos I've watched?

Brocky

If too much is taken too soon there might not be enough material to expand the cover to finger trap the bury. The NER/Teufel 5-4-4 would leave more than the 5-5-5. It as you stated gradual taper is important as well.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom