New to big trucks

JoshR

I’m looking to to getting grapple truck. I really don’t know a lot about big trucks and I don’t want to get burned on a big purchase like this.
Not looking for a huge truck. Probably something in the 40-60k price range.
What kind of stuff should I be looking for?
What types of loaders have good reputations?
Same with trucks?
I’ve heard that the dt466 is a solid engine. Don’t know a whole lot else.
Any help or steering in the right direction would be appreciated!

96coal449

You're going to want to check the local laws in your state so you are not driving out of class. It all goes by GVW.

Prentice are about the top of the line in log loader lineup. Also pretty darn good are Sercos, and Hood ..... to name a few.

The International Dt 466 is a solid engine. Pre 1997 are preferred for their mechanical injection pumps. In other words, they are not electronically controlled. Then again, the older you go in age the more miles and use/abuse the truck has seen.

Reach

Be sure that you have the proper license for the truck you want to buy - it will be hard to find a useful grapple truck that does not require a CDL to drive. Be aware also of the extra costs to keep a big truck on the road - perhaps check with your insurance company and the company that manages your DOT compliance for some advice.

I would also get some opinions from a good truck mechanic, someone trustworthy, and have him look over any truck you want to buy before you spend the money - you’ll have to pay the mechanic, but it’s well worth it.

JoshR

You're going to want to check the local laws in your state so you are not driving out of class. It all goes by GVW.

Prentice are about the top of the line in log loader lineup. Also pretty darn good are Sercos, and Hood ..... to name a few.

The International Dt 466 is a solid engine. Pre 1997 are preferred for their mechanical injection pumps. In other words, they are not electronically controlled. Then again, the older you go in age the more miles and use/abuse the truck has seen.
Why are the mechanical injectors favored over the electronic ones? Is it that they are less complicated?

96coal449

Why are the mechanical injectors favored over the electronic ones? Is it that they are less complicated?
Its the injection pump. Reliability is supposed to be the factor. My 466 is a '97 and it is the electronic pump.
With that said, I have had zero issues with it. It starts in all temps I have asked of it, down to the the high 20s.

Fivepoints

Are you hauling logs only or brush and logs? A single axle grapple truck in Alabama that you are hauling only wood with can be tagged L2. The tag is way cheaper than an X tag. 42,000 lb gvwr is the limit for that tag.

We have a single axle L7500 sterling with a Petersen tl3 loader behind the cab. Its a 33,000 gvwr truck. It's easy to overload it on accident if hauling logs. It works well for combined load where you need the volume. It has a 20 ft dump bed on it. One nice thing about it being single axle is I take in yards all the time where I wouldn't go with a tandem axle truck. Still requires a class b cdl. On the plus side, the air brakes are really nice.

Nothing at all wrong with Cummins power for a grapple truck. Mine has a 5.9 in it. Sure, I'd like more power for climbing hills but with a 6 speed Allison it will run 70mph on flat. An 8.3 would be about perfect. Either way, it gets the job done.

Steve Connally

Hi @Steve Connally ! Hope you are doing well. I did a quick search, did you buy a testing kit or do you send in the samples?
Also, what kind of conclusions are they able to gather based on the findings in the samples?
I'd collect and send in the samples. Not being a mechanic I cant really explain it but the test results are fairly easy understand and they can tell a whole lot of things about the engine or trans

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom