New Tendon Timber Ropes

treethings

I work with the US distributor for Tendon ropes. We recently decided to expand the products we bring into the US to include the new additions to the Tendon Timber ropes: 11mm, 11.5mm, 12.5mm, 15mm.

We have wholesale pricing available, with minimum purchase requirements.

All the new ropes are bright, easy to see, and VERY durable. They are also made to Tendon's extremely high quality standard. If you're unfamiliar with Tendon, they are one of the premium rope brands in Europe and have been lacking distribution in the US until recently. Tendon manufactures rope for every possible application. We distribute their recreation (rock climbing) and professional lines, including personal safety static ropes, and aborist ropes and associated products.

https://spindriftclimbing.com/arborist-2/

Contact us through the website, or feel free to contact me directly for pricing and inquiries. ryan@spindriftclimbing.com
Tendon Arbor Ropes.jpg

Barc Buster

I work with the US distributor for Tendon ropes. We recently decided to expand the products we bring into the US to include the new additions to the Tendon Timber ropes: 11mm, 11.5mm, 12.5mm, 15mm.

We have wholesale pricing available, with minimum purchase requirements.

All the new ropes are bright, easy to see, and VERY durable. They are also made to Tendon's extremely high quality standard. If you're unfamiliar with Tendon, they are one of the premium rope brands in Europe and have been lacking distribution in the US until recently. Tendon manufactures rope for every possible application. We distribute their recreation (rock climbing) and professional lines, including personal safety static ropes, and aborist ropes and associated products.

https://spindriftclimbing.com/arborist-2/

Contact us through the website, or feel free to contact me directly for pricing and inquiries. ryan@spindriftclimbing.com
View attachment 57745
Ryan,

I can't seem to see any prices on your website. I'd be willing to give an honest review though if you wanted to send out a sample. Could run it with a bulldog bone, hitchhiker 2, and hopefully soon an akimbo.

colb

Hi Ryan, Welcome to the Buzz. I hadn't heard of your company so I think you made a good call to reach out. Just a heads up, the listings need a bit of TLC. The way your company responds will dictate its capacity for current entry into the market, but also long term growth.

Overall, our group tends to be cautious about trying out ropes from companies without a history of making ropes specifically for arborists. Even established rope manufacturers are often not taken seriously unless they can competently converse with arborists at the forefront of our industry. There are a few ways to gain acceptance. First, hand out some rope to a few forum members and ask them to evaluate it. Second, hire a top arborist to help design the rope. Third, show your dedication over time to understanding the needs of arborists at a perfectly high level - ropes are *that* important to us. Fourth, connect with european arborists on this forum and pay for them to travel to and tour your manufacturing facility. Fifth, do not over-extend the company without a commensurate R&D budget. Most rope companies specialize in ropes alone, and making other items like harnesses and throwbags is a signal to us that the company is in it for the money at the expense of quality. These are all ways that the small number of arborist-specific rope companies have demonstrated their dedication to arborists.

I'm noticing that one of the ropes has 0mm listed for elongation. That is essentially the same as metal cable if the tested length was greater than zero. Try tightening up that section by stating the specific parameters of the elongation testing.

Wish you success.

treethings

Thanks for the heads up on errors in some specs. I'll have the web guys take a look at them to check things over and update as needed. All rope specs and testing are according to certified industry standards. CE certified.

As for history of the company. I apologize, I think I didn't make it very clear that Tendon has been making ropes (largely under the parent company name Lanex) since WWII. I'm not sure how long they've been making rope for aborists, but its in the decades. They work(ed) closely with aborists to design the ropes. Lots of R&D in these ropes. The only thing new here is that we haven't imported these into the US before and Tendon just added the 11mm and 12.5mm sizes to their lineup. Oh, the colors are new. They got a lot feedback that bright colors are quite useful so they made sure that these are easy to see.

As for the other associated products. Tendon is first and foremost a rope company. They manufacture all of their rope and cord to the highest standards. I'm not personally an arborist, but I am a climber and I can attest to the high quality of their climbing (dynamic) and static ropes. I don't know of another company that has combined good handling with durability as well as they have. A+

The associated products, throw bags, harnesses, etc. are made by partner companies that specialize in these types of products. This ensures that all products made and/or sold by Tendon are manufactured by a company that understands exactly what needs to go into that product to make it high quality and safe.

As an avid rope user, and one who depends on them to keep me safe when hanging on them from thousands of feet in the air, I completely understand the incredible importance of the design and quality of a rope. Especially when you're life and livelihood depend on them.

I will look into sending a few samples out for review and feedback. If there are people or publications that you particularly trust for this evaluation please let me know.

treethings

Ryan,

I can't seem to see any prices on your website. I'd be willing to give an honest review though if you wanted to send out a sample. Could run it with a bulldog bone, hitchhiker 2, and hopefully soon an akimbo.
We don't list prices as we, Spindrift Climbing, are the wholesale distributor and do not sell retail. Here is a sampling of the retail prices that will be listed as we begin to stock them in retail stores:

Tendon Timber Evo 11.5, 50m (164ft) - $164
Tendon Timber Evo 12.5 60m (196ft) - $225
Tendon Timber Lowering 15mm 50m (164ft) - $205.97

8mm Technora Prusik, 100cm - $12.86
10mm Technora Prusik, 100cm - $15.95
Bulk 8mm Prusik cord - 100m - $320

Timber Sit Harness - $375 - Not currently for sale because it's not insured for the US market yet. However, it meets and exceeds all industry standards. I have a couple of friends that are arborists and use this harness and have nothing but great things to say about it. They kind of hinted that we're nuts to sell it at such a low price for the quality, but they're not about to tell us to raise the price on them either ; )

We recognize that Tendon is a new name to the arbor and tree work industry so we're cognizant of prices. We want to offer these great products at great prices so that you all are willing to give a "new-to-you" brand a try without worrying about the price too much.

I can tell you this much. I am a man of the people. I work hard. I value my dollar and don't like to spend it on low quality anything. I tend to review and (over) analyze anything I buy that is more than a couple of bucks. I fully support everyone in doing the same. THIS is why I'm completely comfortable putting my name on the line with a brand of rope that maybe you haven't heard of. There is no way that I would try to convince anyone buy something that I wouldn't buy myself. I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. Feel free to reach out to me.

Last edited:

Barc Buster

We don't list prices as we, Spindrift Climbing, are the wholesale distributor and do not sell retail. Here is a sampling of the retail prices that will be listed as we begin to stock them in retail stores:

Tendon Timber Evo 11.5, 50m (164ft) - $164
Tendon Timber Evo 12.5 60m (196ft) - $225
Tendon Timber Lowering 15mm 50m (164ft) - $205.97

8mm Technora Prusik, 100cm - $12.86
10mm Technora Prusik, 100cm - $15.95
Bulk 8mm Prusik cord - 100m - $320

Timber Sit Harness - $253 - Not currently for sale because it's not insured for the US market yet. However, it meets and exceeds all industry standards. I have a couple of friends that are arborists and use this harness and have nothing but great things to say about it. They kind of hinted that we're nuts to sell it at such a low price for the quality, but they're not about to tell us to raise the price on them either ; )

We recognize that Tendon is a new name to the arbor and tree work industry so we're cognizant of prices. We want to offer these great products at great prices so that you all are willing to give a "new-to-you" brand a try without worrying about the price too much.

I can tell you this much. I am a man of the people. I work hard. I value my dollar and don't like to spend it on low quality anything. I tend to review and (over) analyze anything I buy that is more than a couple of bucks. I fully support everyone in doing the same. THIS is why I'm completely comfortable putting my name on the line with a brand of rope that maybe you haven't heard of. There is no way that I would try to convince anyone buy something that I wouldn't buy myself. I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. Feel free to reach out to me.
Gotcha on the prices, and welcome to the buzz. I think it's great that you feel so passionate about the Tendon brand ropes, etc. I respectfully have to agree with @colb though until you get some hanks in the hands of some Buzzers, what your saying is going to sound like mostly empty rhetoric. I don't mean that statement to be harsh but your asking guys to trust their lives on your completely unknown opinion. I hope you make yourself comfortable here and stick around. Peace and good luck to you.

treethings

Gotcha on the prices, and welcome to the buzz. I think it's great that you feel so passionate about the Tendon brand ropes, etc. I respectfully have to agree with @colb though until you get some hanks in the hands of some Buzzers, what your saying is going to sound like mostly empty rhetoric. I don't mean that statement to be harsh but your asking guys to trust their lives on your completely unknown opinion. I hope you make yourself comfortable here and stick around. Peace and good luck to you.
I get what you're saying. I will stick around and make myself available.

Can you guys recommend a couple of people whose opinions you respect, and have experience with a variety of rope brands, as well as experience writing a proper review? Maybe someone with a blog and history of reviewing rope.

Last edited:

colb

Thanks for the heads up on errors in some specs. I'll have the web guys take a look at them to check things over and update as needed. All rope specs and testing are according to certified industry standards. CE certified.

As for history of the company. I apologize, I think I didn't make it very clear that Tendon has been making ropes (largely under the parent company name Lanex) since WWII. I'm not sure how long they've been making rope for aborists, but its in the decades. They work(ed) closely with aborists to design the ropes. Lots of R&D in these ropes. The only thing new here is that we haven't imported these into the US before and Tendon just added the 11mm and 12.5mm sizes to their lineup. Oh, the colors are new. They got a lot feedback that bright colors are quite useful so they made sure that these are easy to see.

As for the other associated products. Tendon is first and foremost a rope company. They manufacture all of their rope and cord to the highest standards. I'm not personally an arborist, but I am a climber and I can attest to the high quality of their climbing (dynamic) and static ropes. I don't know of another company that has combined good handling with durability as well as they have. A+

The associated products, throw bags, harnesses, etc. are made by partner companies that specialize in these types of products. This ensures that all products made and/or sold by Tendon are manufactured by a company that understands exactly what needs to go into that product to make it high quality and safe.

As an avid rope user, and one who depends on them to keep me safe when hanging on them from thousands of feet in the air, I completely understand the incredible importance of the design and quality of a rope. Especially when you're life and livelihood depend on them.

I will look into sending a few samples out for review and feedback. If there are people or publications that you particularly trust for this evaluation please let me know.
You might try poking around on the (primarily) European forum to ask who frequents TreeBuzz, then get them to check out the factory. Or just fly @Worthaug over. After that, try to get a hank to @Worthaug, @surveyor, @Mark Chisholm, and @treebing for field testing. Send one to Rock Exotica for testing with the Akimbo. You'll have an idea of where it stands after that, but it's still no guarantee that the rope will be taken up.
I get what you're saying. I will stick around and make myself available.

Can you guys recommend a couple of people whose opinions you respect, and have experience with a variety of rope brands, as well as experience writing a proper review?
Well, I think the first step is for someone here to identify what the construction is like, relative to other ropes. Kind of group it into the right family. If it's ordinary, then we can avoid wasting time and let you know that it is a "mass market" type of rope. You can try selling it to shelter tree, wesspur, american arborist, bartlett, etc. Bartlett will be the best fit. Wesspur and shelter tree probably will not purchase it. Honey brothers is another retailer that might help you edge in since they are european and ship stateside, and Brexit is happening, but they have a decently high standard. You will have to be on point to get face time with them.

If it has some potential for stationary rope technique and associated devices, then there are guys that could look around the factory and meet the staff. I know it sounds a little intense, but you really need to establish your place in the pecking order if you're trying to make a legitimate entry into the market. There are only three or four companies doing it right. We've seen some failures from companies trying to enter the market that just did not invest in making things specifically for arborists. They are still spamming the mass market and it looks kind of sad. Even one of the mainline reputable companies kind of relegated themselves over the last few years by failing to keep up with the tree industry. Another foreign company made great rope but had trouble with their overseas supply line - no one wants a baked or moldy rope that sat on a ship for a few weeks. Tendon really needs to get serious about this quickly, or prudently stay in the current markets. First impression has to be solid, and you have to maintain it.

Does the company have an arborist on staff, or a primary consultant who is a climbing arborist? Might be useful to let us know who that is.

treethings

Thanks for the questions and suggestions. I'll do some digging and find out some answers. Knowing that Tendon has top of the line braiding machines I have confidence that they are doing it right, but I will find out for sure.

Barc Buster

You might try poking around on the (primarily) European forum to ask who frequents TreeBuzz, then get them to check out the factory. Or just fly @Worthaug over. After that, try to get a hank to @Worthaug, @surveyor, @Mark Chisholm, and @treebing for field testing. Send one to Rock Exotica for testing with the Akimbo. You'll have an idea of where it stands after that, but it's still no guarantee that the rope will be taken up.

Well, I think the first step is for someone here to identify what the construction is like, relative to other ropes. Kind of group it into the right family. If it's ordinary, then we can avoid wasting time and let you know that it is a "mass market" type of rope. You can try selling it to shelter tree, wesspur, american arborist, bartlett, etc. Bartlett will be the best fit. Wesspur and shelter tree probably will not purchase it. Honey brothers is another retailer that might help you edge in since they are european and ship stateside, and Brexit is happening, but they have a decently high standard. You will have to be on point to get face time with them.

If it has some potential for stationary rope technique and associated devices, then there are guys that could look around the factory and meet the staff. I know it sounds a little intense, but you really need to establish your place in the pecking order if you're trying to make a legitimate entry into the market. There are only three or four companies doing it right. We've seen some failures from companies trying to enter the market that just did not invest in making things specifically for arborists. They are still spamming the mass market and it looks kind of sad. Even one of the mainline reputable companies kind of relegated themselves over the last few years by failing to keep up with the tree industry. Another foreign company made great rope but had trouble with their overseas supply line - no one wants a baked or moldy rope that sat on a ship for a few weeks. Tendon really needs to get serious about this quickly, or prudently stay in the current markets. First impression has to be solid, and you have to maintain it.

Does the company have an arborist on staff, or a primary consultant who is a climbing arborist? Might be useful to let us know who that is.

This is all spot on!

Jonny

Can you guys recommend a couple of people whose opinions you respect, and have experience with a variety of rope brands, as well as experience writing a proper review? Maybe someone with a blog and history of reviewing rope.
@DSMc , @Mark Chisholm , @Steve Connally , @swingdude , @Brocky , @evo , @treebing , @treebilly , @JMerritt , @yoyoman , @*useless info* , @rico , @southsoundtree , @Stihlmadd , @August Hunicke , @Reg , @CanadianStan , @WaitakKauri , @Graeme McMahon

Jonny

All of them will get alerts from me tagging them, so let's see who's interested in volunteering themselves.

Jonny

What country are the ropes being made in? Are all your arborist ropes made in the same place?

Pelorus

I think members here have provided you with great advice and contacts.
I also think that entry into the North American market is gonna be a tough nut to crack, even if you offer a quality product at a decent price point.
Your competition on this side of the pond produces a plethora of quality arborist ropes.
What would cause me as a consumer to want to buy one of your ropes, given that I'm satisfied with what I'm currently using?
What is your unique selling proposition?

Deadwood

I also think that entry into the North American market is gonna be a tough nut to crack, even if you offer a quality product at a decent price point.
Your competition on this side of the pond produces a plethora of quality arborist ropes.
What would cause me as a consumer to want to buy one of your ropes, given that I'm satisfied with what I'm currently using?
I disagree, aborists like anything new and shiny.

treethings

I agree, entry into the NA market is gonna be tough. We've been working on that with rock climbing ropes for the last couple of years. People have established brands that they really like but, we're humans and we're generally open when a new idea comes along. A quality product will almost always make it's place in the market.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom