New Saddle Options?

macrocarpa

I’ve been climbing on the Buckingham traverse deluxe for a while now (pic attached). Would the treemotion or Monkey beaver be a significant upgrade? I am mostly pruning Eastern hardwoods. If you could pick the tree motion or monkey beaver which one would you pick? Any other saddles I should be taking into consideration with the goal being lightweight and comfort. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Reach

The Tree Motion would definitely be an upgrade, as would the Edelrid saddles, or the Petzl. My recommendation if you are able is to go to a shop somewhere where you can try on a few and see what fits well. Otherwise, get some advice based on your size and shape and order something. Personally, I like the Petzl Sequoia, but I have employees and friends who love variations of the Tree Motion.

Crimsonking

Either would be an upgrade. I can’t speak for the monkey beaver, but I’ve owned a couple treemotions. They’re great saddles with a lot of customization options. Some prefer the fit of the superlight, while others like the buckles and/or extra padding of the regular or evo. Right now I’m using the notch sentinel, which is fairly comfortable. However, for nearly the same price you can buy the treemotion superlight and have great comfort with tons of configuration options.

Jonny

I loved my old Traverse, a very comfortable and capable saddle, but after flying a TreeMotion now, I couldn’t go back to lack of lower Ds and steel hardware, which can be a bit rough on aluminum biners. Also a rope bridge lets you pick any rings or pulleys or swivels. Still I didn’t really mind the old web bridge, since it had 2 floating Ds.

I’d definitely recommend a TreeMotion or Ergovation, but I’ve never tried the Monkey Beaver or Onyx. I hear great things about them from trustworthy folks here.

Any chance there’s an arborist supply shop within driving distance so you can visit and try hanging from a saddle before you buy? A lot of Vermeer dealerships got saddles I think.

Jehinten

I haven't tried your current harness or the treemotion but I currently use the monkey beaver and before that an older model of the sequoia. For me the monkeybeaver wins hands down vs the sequoia.

I'd also recommend hanging in them before buying but if buying online is your only option August and some (possibly all) online suppliers accept returns as long as its not been used in the field. This means you could buy both and hang around the house trying them out, then return the one that you choose not to use.

evo

I have a Tm light you can play with on a light pruning day, just pay for shipping. I also have a reg Tm which is certainly safe, but worn, I’d let my kids climb in it (if they would fit) I plan on dissecting it so would want it back but you can certainly use it for a good bit of you like it make me a offer, if not ship it back. Besides buckles there really isn’t much of a difference with the light vs regular
I moved to a onyx, which when not on spikes is more comfy to me. Personally after a while in the onyx I’d say a monkey beaver would be pretty good, but I’d like a custom hybrid between MB and onyx

macrocarpa

Thanks for All the input! I will find out if there is a shop within driving distance to test out some Different saddles. Thanks for the offer to try the treemotion Evo! I will most likely buy a new one. Ive watched this video and like things about both saddles. Have to look into the other suggestions too.

oldoakman

Ive ridden leg loop saddles for over 40 years and the MB is the best I have ever ridden. Have not pinched the boys even once. Can't say that about the other saddles. I'll have to watch that video. Gotta say though, I would never be able to get into a TM.

Jzack605

That Buckingham is my work issued harness, and I climb personally on a petzl sequoia.

I hate the Buckingham.

I really liked the monkey beaver I borrowed recently.

Love my sequoia

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Either would be an upgrade. I can’t speak for the monkey beaver, but I’ve owned a couple treemotions. They’re great saddles with a lot of customization options. Some prefer the fit of the superlight, while others like the buckles and/or extra padding of the regular or evo. Right now I’m using the notch sentinel, which is fairly comfortable. However, for nearly the same price you can buy the treemotion superlight and have great comfort with tons of configuration options.
You went from a TM to a sentinel....now that is weird.

Crimsonking

You went from a TM to a sentinel....now that is weird.
I went from a Tm to an MCRS, then to a sentinel. The Tm is nice, but when it was time to retire it, I found a used Cornell. After a couple years in it, I decided to try something smaller and lighter than both. I wanted something easier to pack, and to just try something new. Wasn’t looking for the best, just something different. So far so good. There are some moments that aren’t as comfortable, but fewer than I expected.

The Tm is tried and true, used by so, so many and for good reason. It’s what I’ve used for most of my career. I’m curious is all.

macrocarpa

Leaning toward the Monkey Beaver. I've always thought New Tribe saddles look comfortable but haven't tried one yet.

Serf Life

Wait for sales around thanksgiving. I bought a like new tm light ($300) which took a bit to dial in and now use suspenders, it’s a phenomenal deal for the comfort and weight. I’m 6’ with 32 waist so larger folks may not agree.

evo

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Monkey Beaver and the Onyx? They look pretty similar. Thoughts about the ONYX ?
The ONYX is a very different saddle.. The lower suspension from the rigging plate to the leg loops in entirely unique. I have scrawny legs and while I normally ride my leg loops low and loose with the onyx I ride them low and tight.
The butt strap got ditched day two
I don't care for the articulated straps in back holding up the leg loops, and plan on fixing them into position at some point
The gear loops are perfect for me (one big deal breaker with the monkey beaver IMO)
The hip Dees suck. They are nice and big which I like, the placement is great, but they are downward facing and suck for spur climbing. Flipping up a spar is the only time it sucks which admittedly is super rare so not a deal breaker.
It takes lots of time to get this set up and dialed in, more than any other saddle I've ever owned. I sat in one a long time ago at a gear store and it pinched and it took me long time to mess with it. It got to just ok and I moved on to the TM (which I bought) that felt like a glove.
The waist belt does twist around a bit more on me than the TM does.

Now to the good. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever worn now that I have it dialed in. Not so good spending time doing lots of spar work, but just fine for spreading trees while you have a good top tip. I'm not a lower Dee kinda climber, I could see it being way more comfy in that config.

I can't imagine the MB being that much different, other than the leg suspension seems more traditional, and more triad hip dee congif.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom