New rope slips through my Zigzag unpredictably.

Winchman

Branched out member
No, but that part of the rope was under the normal working load of around 90 pounds (Drt) when I was trying it out. That's probably not enough to do anything, but milking a rope that's heat-sealed on both ends probably wouldn't do much either.

I noticed the bumps as I was flaking the rope back into the box after trying it out. I went back over the entire length more carefully, but it was just that one section.

Winchman

Branched out member
Well, it wasn't the ZZ causing the slipping problem. I ordered some Samson Vortex (along with the Voyager) while it was on sale at Sherrill. I tried it out earlier this morning, and it's absolutely flawless with the ZZ. I started with several low climbs, and worked up to longer ones for a total of 150' of climbing with nary a hint of slippage. I really like the feel of the slightly larger Vortex, too.

The color combination of the gold ZZ and hot Vortex is hideous, but I'll get used to it.

evo

Been here a while
Well, it wasn't the ZZ causing the slipping problem. I ordered some Samson Vortex (along with the Voyager) while it was on sale at Sherrill. I tried it out earlier this morning, and it's absolutely flawless with the ZZ. I started with several low climbs, and worked up to longer ones for a total of 150' of climbing with nary a hint of slippage. I really like the feel of the slightly larger Vortex, too.

The color combination of the gold ZZ and hot Vortex is hideous, but I'll get used to it.
I think there is another recall for the zz, slipping is the cause. Personally I hated drenaline

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Correct on the slipping recall, another thread on it list the affected serial numbers. I would guess the larger diameter is the reason for yours no longer slipping.

I run tachyon in mine and am experiencing slipping as well. It's not terrible but definitely noticeable. Once the rush of returned zigzags slows down I intend to exchange mine for a corrected model.

Winchman

Branched out member
My ZZ (sn 19F0195849486) is included in the latest recall, but it passes the test of the release levers. It has never slipped on the Voyager or the Vortex ropes I've used, just on the Drenaline, which is the same size as the Voyager at 11.8mm.

Winchman

Branched out member
Fuzzed/ broken-in, and

washing braiding wax off,

affects performance.
Possibly true. If that's the case, the manufacturer should tell the customer up front, and provide instructions on how to do it and what to use. Leaving the buyer of life support equipment to figure out what to do when it fails to work safely isn't a good plan.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Possibly true. If that's the case, the manufacturer should tell the customer up front, and provide instructions on how to do it and what to use. Leaving the buyer of life support equipment to figure out what to do when it fails to work safely isn't a good plan.
I just so happened to pick up a hank of drenaline this morning. The user guide doesn’t specifically recommend washing the rope before use, relevant passages-

“Please bear in mind that new, unused ropes may have a very smooth and even slippery surface. When using them in combination with devices, be sure to observe the respective manufacturer’s information for the device.”

“To clean the rope, rinse it in lukewarm water and wipe with a damp cloth. The damp rope must be dried before storage. The rope should be left to dry naturally and not close to a fire or other sources or heat.”

A lot of pros on this thread recommended washing the rope, I’ll ask again, did you ever try that? It may not be specifically stated in the manual but it’s a hot tip that works for a lot of people. Climbing trees, you need to be used to figuring some things out beyond what the manual states… while keeping safety as a golden bullseye in the center of your vision.

Winchman

Branched out member
I didn't wash or rinse the rope. I don't recall seeing a user guide with the rope, and I decided to return it when I found the other problem. If I hadn't found the other problem, I'd have contacted Teufelberger for washing instructions. I doubt they'd issue a return authorization for a rope the customer had washed unless they had given specific instructions.

I'm just going to stick with Samson products. I've never been disappointed with the quality or performance of their ropes for sailing and climbing.

moss

Been here a while
I just so happened to pick up a hank of drenaline this morning. The user guide doesn’t specifically recommend washing the rope before use, relevant passages-

“Please bear in mind that new, unused ropes may have a very smooth and even slippery surface. When using them in combination with devices, be sure to observe the respective manufacturer’s information for the device.”

“To clean the rope, rinse it in lukewarm water and wipe with a damp cloth. The damp rope must be dried before storage. The rope should be left to dry naturally and not close to a fire or other sources or heat.”

A lot of pros on this thread recommended washing the rope, I’ll ask again, did you ever try that? It may not be specifically stated in the manual but it’s a hot tip that works for a lot of people. Climbing trees, you need to be used to figuring some things out beyond what the manual states… while keeping safety as a golden bullseye in the center of your vision.

I've never washed a new rope before using. Not saying it's a bad idea but not something I ever needed to do. Whether it's new climbing line or hitch cord, it needs some climb time to function optimally. For the Drenaline for example (I know the horse is already out of the barn) I'd do 2 or 3 climbs using a hitch system, that's going to break it in faster than a mechanical generally speaking.

As far as safety goes, when you first load up the rope on the ground you always tighten up the system and fully load it up to verify the hitch or mechanical is grabbing. If not? Go to plan B whatever that is. There never should be a safety issue when using a new rope for the first time, test it before you go to height.
-AJ

Waldo

Participating member
Inspect your zig zag, it could be a part of the recent recall. This recall does specifically address zags that are slipping.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom