New "Openable" Ring Thing - The Odin

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Wow, that’s nice. My courant koala came with 2 of the precursor to that ring as it’s lower D / connection point for the entire saddle. I really enjoy the puzzle piece interlocking nature of the hardware on my rings which carries over to this, it gives it a layer of redundancy that I really dig. I had the clevis of my tree Austria come undone on me in a tree and it was a very lucky day that I didn’t drop to the ground, ever since then I check the bolts on that connection routinely.

The petzl open O is still just amazing though and is significantly thinner allowing for ease of carabiner attachment. I’ve considered swapping my courant hardware and going back to petzl open O for this reason.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I have them and they are not something you can open without an Allen Wrench so aren't ideally suited to opening/closing at height(at least not for me). They are also pretty heavy due to large size and steel construction. These rings would be super useful for plenty of applications and they are quite strong. I got these last Black Friday from Maple Leaf Ropes to use as lower D-rings on a cheap Notch Sentry I bought when they were on sale for $50. This was to be a rec climb harness for when/if friends want to try climbing. For this purpose they worked well but add a noticeable amount of weight to an otherwise light harness. In my opinion their best use is for things like replacing the small rings or shackles used as lower Ds on existing harnesses.

I have them and they are not something you can open without an Allen Wrench so aren't ideally suited to opening/closing at height(at least not for me). They are also pretty heavy due to large size and steel construction. These rings would be super useful for plenty of applications and they are quite strong. I got these last Black Friday from Maple Leaf Ropes to use as lower D-rings on a cheap Notch Sentry I bought when they were on sale for $50. This was to be a rec climb harness for when/if friends want to try climbing. For this purpose they worked well but add a noticeable amount of weight to an otherwise light harness. In my opinion their best use is for things like replacing the small rings or shackles used as lower Ds on existing harnesses.
You're right about the weight - Odin = 130 g v.s. Petzl Open Ring = 60 g. I wonder if the Odin will ever come out in a titanium version? The gate on the Odin intrigues me - seems on the surface way safer than the little Petzl screw? Odin 25 kN v.s. Open Ring 23 kN - 360 deg (opposed) loading even thru the plasticy washer thingy. Still the black plastic thingy always bothered me somehow, even with LocTite on the screw threads. Wonder how strong the Odin would be if you installed it wherever you wanted to, then doused the hinge and gate both in epoxy/ JBWeld and wound the glued portion with tape or something to keep the epoxy in there while it set? A comparison job for Richard's pull tester?
I kinda don't see this as a removable ring (a circular biner?), but that's the same for the Petzl product.

evo

Been here a while
Wow, that’s nice. My courant koala came with 2 of the precursor to that ring as it’s lower D / connection point for the entire saddle. I really enjoy the puzzle piece interlocking nature of the hardware on my rings which carries over to this, it gives it a layer of redundancy that I really dig. I had the clevis of my tree Austria come undone on me in a tree and it was a very lucky day that I didn’t drop to the ground, ever since then I check the bolts on that connection routinely.

The petzl open O is still just amazing though and is significantly thinner allowing for ease of carabiner attachment. I’ve considered swapping my courant hardware and going back to petzl open O for this reason.
Whoa that’s the first time I’ve heard of their shackles coming loose. I had to take a torch to heat the threads on mine to change the bridge

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Whoa that’s the first time I’ve heard of their shackles coming loose. I had to take a torch to heat the threads on mine to change the bridge
I had added a bridge and did not put loctite on the threads when reinstalling. (And had run with it like that for about half a year.)

theatertech87

Branched out member
I had added a bridge and did not put loctite on the threads when reinstalling. (And had run with it like that for about half a year.)
Camp has similar shackles on their harnesses and they issued an inspection notice because there might have been some that escaped the factory with insufficient loctite, so i can definitely see that being a possibility.

Also these rings look like an evolution of these https://honeybros.com/shop/climbing/harnesses/harness-spares/courant-olik-open-ring/ rings also by courant (i wish there was a end on profile view, since they've got a similar keyed end)

Any one know the size of these new rings? the other ones I linked were too bulky for my use and i went with petzl opens in the long run.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Camp has similar shackles on their harnesses and they issued an inspection notice because there might have been some that escaped the factory with insufficient loctite, so i can definitely see that being a possibility.

Also these rings look like an evolution of these https://honeybros.com/shop/climbing/harnesses/harness-spares/courant-olik-open-ring/ rings also by courant (i wish there was a end on profile view, since they've got a similar keyed end)

Any one know the size of these new rings? the other ones I linked were too bulky for my use and i went with petzl opens in the long run.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-171921_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-171921_Samsung Internet.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 12

oceans

Been here a while
Thanks for sharing your first hand experience with these.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom