New Member saying hi

Hi guys/gals, just signed up. I'm in my 2nd year of climbing and 6th year of tree work/bucket truck. Still doing old school climbing on a blakes on a monkey beaver saddle. Still looking into srt stuff. Anyway just wanted to say hi and I'm happy to be here to suck up as much info as I can. And to try to help where I can

oldoakman

Welcome as well. You are going to love the MB saddle. Most comfortable saddle I've ever flown and I e been climbing for 45 years.

Merle Nelson

Welcome. Are you close to the surf?

What kind of things are you most interested in right now? What would you most like to share?

Reach

Welcome, Mr. Surfcaster! I used to do a little of that myself, but not for a few years...

Matthew Stone

Howdy! I'm fairly new here, also. I can say from experience this is the best tree community, ever! So much knowledge and experience, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have! WELCOME!

Thanks guys, I'm about 45 mins from LBI(Long beach island). Stripers are just starting to show up.
I came here looking for more climbing related topics. Not much climbing/arborist talk on the other forums I've been on. I'm most interested in improving on my techniques/positioning/cutting methods. One of the things I need to get much better at is getting bigger pieces to land flat with just a notch and back cut.. I'm tired of snap cutting smaller pieces so I can throw them down flat.

Merle Nelson

Yes search any topic using variations on the wording to pick up more info in my experience. One fifth rule on landing spar logs flat. Lots of threads through the years on more advanced forms of climbing and positioning.

Merle, I had some friends get asked to leave yesterday just south of BI.
Well I've read around here recently and learned some things. Tried some of those things yesterday, distel w/ micro pully on my secondary flip line/positioner. Still a little tough to adjust after weight has been put on the hitch. Gonna try a vt next on the flipline. Any way the distel is much better then a regular 6 coil/3 wrap prussic like I was using(not sure what size prussic cord but it's thinner like 8ishmm on a 20' 7/16th rope.
Now for logs landing flat
The 1/5th rule is gonna take some practice for sure. I got a smaller dyeing 12" dbh chestnut oak practice tree out back that I'm gonna try it on. After that one, when time is permitted and a big drop zone I'm gonna try it some more. Good info here and thanks guys

Merle Nelson

Sorry to hear that people were asked to leave, that seems inhospitable. I frequently enjoy the fact that I can go out on one of our beaches, a restaurant, or Bodega Head - a great whale watching point - and hear different languages from all over the world. That's on hold now. I'm disappointed for all the canceled vacation plans.

The one fifth rule is something that I only came upon when joining here. I was surprised there was a specific method to accomplish it. Previous to that I landed logs flat most of the time but would have described it, if asked, as being something your body/mind just get a knack for and you don't even have to think about it.

My suggestion would be to read about it some till you think you understand the general idea for how to produce the result, practice it in a non critical situation, but just let your senses take over. Soon you'll feel like a rock star at it - which I believe to be an important component of a good state to climb and wreck trees in.

I wish we had more trees's to practice laying pieces flat like pines. These big oaks/maples don't give much opportunity to chunk down big pieces. They just grow so wide rather then tall. I live in the pine barrens but we cut maybe 1 or 2 pines a week 90% oaks,gums,maples, and a few other hardwoods.
But I hear ya I really need to read this 1/5th rule thing thoroughly then immediately go try it on my practice tree out back.
The tree company I work for finally got stocked up on work again after winter slow time w/ some climbing jobs. But now this virus has people afraid to spend money (very acceptable I understand) so tree work has slowed down to 3-4 days a week again. W/ less climbing for me because of it. I try not to do side jobs because of the whole no insurance thing. So this virus is hurting my climbing skills growth big time

Merle Nelson

Ahh, hadn't thought of those effects from the current situation.

Just as a long shot possible consideration, cities and counties will have less to spend on tree maintenance now than ever before. There must be some big parks or government managed tracks of land (forest) that have problem trees by the dozen which also happen to be away from roads and people. If your boss was never going to get that work anyway and okays it, could make for a valuable day here or there of experience.

If the relavant agency had something for a worker to do within yelling distance and cleared you to just put stuff on the ground and walk away it could be a fair enough trade.

kiteflyingeek

Or, just rec climb. You miss the rigging / cutting experience but still get better at climbing in different trees.

--andrew

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom