New Look...issues?

SeanRuel

Branched out member
I liked having the most recent post of each sub forum show up on the main page. doesn't seem to do that anymore?

moss

Been here a while
I'm cursed with having worked as a web and phone app user interface designer for too many years, it would take me at least 60 hours to write up comments and improvements on the new look ;-)

Red is a tricky color in a user interface. Typically red indicates danger or warning or... blood shed ;-) Good old Google still uses the "traditional" blue color for link text, everyone knows what it means and its easy on the eyes.

It;s very difficult to create great user interface for screens, sooo many gotchas, you fix one thing and you break four or more other things. Tree work is so awesome in comparison. Nowadays you're working with some preexisting infrastructure like Xenforo, it's super powerful but it has rules and limits to what you can do.

One of the challenges of a complete redo is that everyone's brains are completely wired to the previous look and functionality. No one is ever happy with it 100%, eventually people get used to the new paradigm.

On a laptop my main issue is that on the Forums landing page the "Latest media" (maybe capitalize the word "Media") and "TreeBuzz Instagram Feed" sections push the Forum section off the page ("below the fold" as they say in the biz) so I have to scroll to see it. I tried mocking up a couple different screens to solve but didn't come up with anything good. The best I could come up with is put the "Latest Media" and "TreeBuzz Instagram Feed" sections at the top of the "Media" landing page instead of the top of the Forums page.
-AJ

Last edited:

moss

Been here a while
And guess what, the User Interface design world is full of smart-assess and prima donnas. I'm much happier hanging out with tree climbers, they're always humble and supportive and they never shoot first and ask questions later ;-)
-AJ

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
And guess what, the User Interface design world is full of smart-assess and prima donnas. I'm much happier hanging out with tree climbers, they're always humble and supportive and they never shoot first and ask questions later ;-)
-AJ
Appreciate that. The IG feed is something that is supposed to be much smaller. I started a support ticket the other day with the company that created that widget. I'm supposed to be able to edit the widget size very easily and I am, but it won't save the new size even though it says "saved". That should help.

moss

Been here a while
If I could dream the Forums landing page would look like something this. But I already broke rules, I like having the "New posts" and "Post thread" actions on the left but that doesn't work with the general scheme of things for the rest of the site.

49793075301_bc0ef83919_h.jpg

Winchman

Branched out member
I no longer get email notifications when new posts are added to a thread I'm watching. I've looked at my preferences, and it looks like they're set correctly.

Please check them for me, or do whatever is necessary to get the notifications coming again..
Thanks.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom