New guy from the PNW, mind if I share some videos?

27RMT0N

Hi everyone, I've been doing tree work in Western Washington for a few years and am new to this forum. I threw together a collection of some of the better footage I've gotten recently and figured I'd put it together in this compilation. As you can see from the video, I work in a rural area in what is mostly a doug fir forest. I learned tree work in the city where it was almost exclusively spur-less climbing and pruning for health, safety and aesthetics, but where I live these days it's mostly climbing and piecing out firs, felling firs, or various other hazard trees. I do miss the more peaceful and artistic work of pruning at times, but this stuff is pretty fun. Going forward I'm trying to get better at filming and will probably add to this thread going forward, but figured this video would be a good starting place.

Oh, and before anyone asks, the goofy 'tongue in groove' cut was just for a laugh to see if I could keep it on the stump, overall I think it's a mostly useless technique! Also, because what I put down is almost never turned into lumber I generally cut higher stumps just for ergonomics, then flush-cut them to ground level when I'm done.

Anyways, just thought I'd introduce myself. I see a lot of excellent tree guys here and look forward to learning from and being a part of the community.

evo

Looks like we are not far from each other. Perhaps your up on one of the rocky islands like orcas or Bellingham area? Either way good to digitally meet you

27RMT0N

Looks like we are not far from each other. Perhaps your up on one of the rocky islands like orcas or Bellingham area? Either way good to digitally meet you
Hello to you as well Evo, you are right on with the location, San Juan Islands. I don't work on the mainland and avoid it as much as possible ;)

Lovely...and welcome. There was a tall skinny fella. The one you used the silky. That looked trippy.

Yah, that was a funny one. The tree was on a very steep slope above the house and had core-rot in the lower half, but was still safe enough to climb. I didn't want to lower anything off it, and with the slope (which you can't really see in the video) I had to send the top a long ways to ensure it wouldn't slide down the hill and hit anything. To keep control I needed a small top, and the tree just kept feeling safe so I kept climbing higher. After the top I was able to do bypass cuts to snap off small trunk sections until I was low enough to be able to use the lowering line I had hanging in another tree.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

southsoundtree

Welcome!

You are close, as buzzers go.

what do you call the crosswise log at road edge that you drop the tree onto?
Somehow I’ve come to call logs like that “bunk logs”?
Wondering if it’s regional jargon, or logging jargon, or made up.

27RMT0N

Welcome!

You are close, as buzzers go.

what do you call the crosswise log at road edge that you drop the tree onto?
Somehow I’ve come to call logs like that “bunk logs”?
Wondering if it’s regional jargon, or logging jargon, or made up.
Good question, I guess I don't actually have a specific term. I just say "lets put a log there to protect the road' and then make it happen!

Reactions: evo

27RMT0N

Lopez is a nice place, maybe if I need some metal work done I'll send you a message ;)

Here is a video of another recent project. The fir had been topped a few decades ago and regrown many tops, with very big ones hanging towards/over the house just waiting to fail. I didn't take video of the job myself since I was focusing on the job, but I took stills to narrate over and got footage from the customer of the tree actually coming down from two angles. The angle from the roof of the house is pretty cool.

evo

Cool. I am in the San Juans also, Lopez Island. I just rec climb however. For a living, I own a small machine shop and foundry, and am semi-retired now at 67.
Speaking of metal working skills, any chance you have a water cooled surface grinder? I have a odd semi trapezoid shaped chipper knife, they need to be parallel ground 0 degrees where they mount to the disk. It’s about a 50/50 when I ship them off that they are done right..

Burrapeg

Speaking of metal working skills, any chance you have a water cooled surface grinder? I have a odd semi trapezoid shaped chipper knife, they need to be parallel ground 0 degrees where they mount to the disk. It’s about a 50/50 when I ship them off that they are done right..
No, nothing like that in the shop. All my machinery is very old stuff I inherited, overhead leather belts, etc. Victorian era machines.

rico

Lopez is a nice place, maybe if I need some metal work done I'll send you a message ;)

Here is a video of another recent project. The fir had been topped a few decades ago and regrown many tops, with very big ones hanging towards/over the house just waiting to fail. I didn't take video of the job myself since I was focusing on the job, but I took stills to narrate over and got footage from the customer of the tree actually coming down from two angles. The angle from the roof of the house is pretty cool.

Nice work on that funky Fir 27RMTON..

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom