NEW FORUM IDEA

Planet Rope

Greetings Tree Buzzers,

I'm sure most people on here would agree that there are not many jobs out there that can beat being an awesome arborist. Right? Climbing rocks, helping the environment is cool, improving landscapes is ok, and reducing risk is even better. However, every now and then we arborist/ and or contract climbers get to do something extraordinary ( or out of the ordinary) or really cool that is worth sharing with others. I saw a video where Mr. Chisolm got to help with some tree felling stunts on The Band Perries video. I remember thinking how much fun that would have been. BTW bravo Mark1. I also remember thinking
WHAT OTHER COOL STORIES HAVE ARBORIST GOT TO SHARE? And could this make for a good Tree-Tertainment Forum.

3 contract climbers and myself were selected to rescue 23 parachutes from treetops at a forest near Champ Shelby Military Base ( Hattiesburg Mississippi ) after a jump training accident went terribly wrong. No one was killed, but about 23 soldiers were hospitalized. Which is really remarkable because some of these trees were over 100 ft tall. Got the call on a Saturday afternoon and was requested to be at the gate ( an hour and a half drive from my home) at 6;00 AM the following morning. I was excited because I had never done anything like this before, and I was also very nervous for that same reason. "There's no training manual on how to retrieve a $7,000 parachute while trying to preserve it the best you can". I only wish I could have been there to help with the actual rescues. Reports say it took several hours for an understaffed ( and possibly untrained in aerial rescue) to get some of the brigades safely to the ground. I'm not sure how they did it but, but bravo to them and our men and women in uniform.

Anyway, that's one of my cool stories, but I bet there are a lot of cooler ones out there. I would like to hear about other tree-peoples tree stories and think it would make a pretty cool forum. I could be wrong because I am a newbie, and this is only my second post to the BUZZ.

Take it Treezy,

Planet Rope, CA

Attachments

misfit

That sounds like a very challenging job. I don't think I have the patience to gather a fully-opened parachute in the treetop and untangle all those ropes from the limbs at the same time. Just how many ropes are attached to one parachute anyway? Yep, that is definitely unique and more rare than the usual cat, drone or model airplane rescue. Though I do know a guy near you who rescued a dog in a tree, and this was a 40 pound dog about 30 feet high: https://sites.google.com/view/mscattreerescue/rescues/2015/bawlie-dec2015

Reach

Patrick Brandt, in North Carolina, rescued a coatimundi. At night. How many people can say that? How many even know what a coatimundi is? I had to look it up too.

Good for him! I’ve never heard of one of those either! Most interesting thing we have ever “rescued” was a weather balloon, all kinds of tangled 90’ up in an Oak tree. I got a copy of some of the pictures from the onboard cameras though, and the flight temperature profile, which was pretty cool, and made a whole bunch of middle school students happy that they got their balloon back.

Attachments

Planet Rope

I was worried about the same thing. Untangling lines and halo difficult it would be. But the military didn’t care to have the shoots nicely untangled, or in one piece. Therefore it was easiest just to cut the branches the shoots were on. Making appropriate cuts of course!
The were T-10‘s and would take about 15 Silky pulls to go through one of them, and there has to be at least 10 on each side. ( I think )They are made from some indestructible nylon ( resembling a really small webbing strap) And the shoot of some industructable polyester or silk. Since it was last notice I could only work for a half a day and had to leave at 1. I managed to retrieve 3 chutes. I was told that the parachuts alone ( without and gear attached to them) were over $5,000 and the army said that there was 3/4 a million dollars In equipments hanging in those trees.

Attachments

Planet Rope

I also got to go to San Antonio to decorate those (>100 Ft Bald Cypress trees on the River Walk. Now you want to talk about some hard work. The City boats took you from tree to tree. And you went straight up your rope of the boat. There were a bunch of climber down there when I went so a lot of y’all probably know what I’m talking about.
P.S how did that 40 lbs dog get up that tree?

Jonny

I was at Ft. Sam Houston for a while, the River Walk was incredible, I could spend all day wandering around there. Was a private, so couldn’t afford the restaurants, but they smelled good lol. Alamo was a bit underwhelming, but still pretty cool.

Found an article about that mess you cleaned up.

Here’s a lil tune about a bad jump. Glad those soldiers didn’t get it too badly.

rbreesems

I also got to go to San Antonio to decorate those (>100 Ft Bald Cypress trees on the River Walk. Now you want to talk about some hard work. The City boats took you from tree to tree. And you went straight up your rope of the boat. There were a bunch of climber down there when I went so a lot of y’all probably know what I’m talking about.
P.S how did that 40 lbs dog get up that tree?

Planet Rope, are you interested in being listed on my Cat-Stuck-Tree-Rescue page as a resource in Jackson MS? Send me a PM if you are with contact info. When I get a call for that area, I always tell them to try local resources first before I make the 2-hour drive down there.

BTW, that photo of you climbing the tree with the parachutes is really cool, good work. It made my head hurt thinking about how much trouble it would be to get those chutes out of the trees.

The coon dog that I rescued weighed more like 30 lbs, and he was about a year old, still in training. The tree was leaning only slightly, I had no idea that coon dogs could do that. He was super cooperative, and I rigged a harness out of webbing straps and lowered him down. After the rescue, my post went semi-viral on Facebook among the coon-dog training community, and I learned that it was not uncommon for coon-dogs to do this, and a couple of people said they had coon dogs fall and die. Who knew?

rico

Pooped in a paper bag at 130-140 ft while standing on the first limb in a big shaggy old growth Fir.

Got arrested for climbing an old growth Sequoia while slightly drunk.

I was chased out of a big Blue Spruce by a extremely angry and very large mamma Bald Eagle while I was rigging trees in SouthEast AK. The only thing that kept her from killing me was my trusty old Fanno handsaw

Had a 12-13 ft diameter Redwood log break loose as it hit the carriage on a Skyline yarder. The skyline was at around 500ft so this log mowed down 3 ft diameter Redwoods like they were twigs as it headed towards the creek....Talk about running for your fucking life.

Last edited:
Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom