New elevator bucket for $225k. Recommendations.

jimpc

I work in the tree department of a municipality in northern NJ. We are looking to get a new bucket truck with a budget of $225k. We have thousands of trees we take care of, mostly along the beltline in between the sidewalk and curb and at least half of them are on the same side as power and utility lines. We do everything from trimming maples back from houses and wires to taking down massive london planes over houses and roadways. We are looking for a rear mount 60-70 ft. elevator. Every driver has a CDL. It's between the Hi-Ranger XT Pro 60/70 and the Altec LR 760-E70/LR860-E70 (We're not really sure of a meaningful difference between the two). All that I've really gathered from going over forum posts is that the Terex has a slower upper boom and that it's square vs the Altec. We already have a forestry version of the Altec 60 footer with no elevator. Which do you guys prefer between the two companies and what chassis set up do you guys consider best? We'd go for diesel, rwd, and automatic transmission but other than that we have no idea what the latest and greatest setup is or if it's even within our budget. We know they start about $170k. It's not as simple for us to just drive down to the dealer on a whim so I figured I'd ask around to get us more focused on what we should be looking for. Thanks in advance.

VenasNursery

I work in the tree department of a municipality in northern NJ. We are looking to get a new bucket truck with a budget of $225k. We have thousands of trees we take care of, mostly along the beltline in between the sidewalk and curb and at least half of them are on the same side as power and utility lines. We do everything from trimming maples back from houses and wires to taking down massive london planes over houses and roadways. We are looking for a rear mount 60-70 ft. elevator. Every driver has a CDL. It's between the Hi-Ranger XT Pro 60/70 and the Altec LR 760-E70/LR860-E70 (We're not really sure of a meaningful difference between the two). All that I've really gathered from going over forum posts is that the Terex has a slower upper boom and that it's square vs the Altec. We already have a forestry version of the Altec 60 footer with no elevator. Which do you guys prefer between the two companies and what chassis set up do you guys consider best? We'd go for diesel, rwd, and automatic transmission but other than that we have no idea what the latest and greatest setup is or if it's even within our budget. We know they start about $170k. It's not as simple for us to just drive down to the dealer on a whim so I figured I'd ask around to get us more focused on what we should be looking for. Thanks in advance.
It’s all about service
Chassis
Lift
Engine manufacturer
Who treats you the best

jimpc

It’s all about service
Chassis
Lift
Engine manufacturer
Who treats you the best
The thing about municipalities is that choosing the dealer that treats you best isn't an option. This is going to have to be bid on per the specs we put out. We have to go with the lowest. What I'm most interested in is what boom you guys prefer and what chassis/engine/transmission setup you guys prefer.

Gorman

The thing about municipalities is that choosing the dealer that treats you best isn't an option. This is going to have to be bid on per the specs we put out. We have to go with the lowest. What I'm most interested in is what boom you guys prefer and what chassis/engine/transmission setup you guys prefer.

Terex will be the lowest. There’s a place in Virginia that cranks them out on freightliner chassis’s cheap. Used to be called FEVA. I forget the name right now.

jimpc

Terex will be the lowest. There’s a place in Virginia that cranks them out on freightliner chassis’s cheap. Used to be called FEVA. I forget the name right now.
If we spec out certain things companies have to bid on those specs. Do you have a better chassis recommendation? Diesel, RWD, automatic, all drivers have CDL.

Jehinten

The thing about municipalities is that choosing the dealer that treats you best isn't an option. This is going to have to be bid on per the specs we put out. We have to go with the lowest.
Coming from former State of Indiana employment, we had to do the same thing. If all things are equal between the trucks and dealer support is important to you personally, you just have to find one option that they offer that others don't. Call it an essential item and your preferred truck/dealer becomes the only (and cheapest) one to meet the required criteria.

VenasNursery

As far as chassis goes
Kenworth
Peterbilt
With Cummins
4x4
Automatic
Super singles (tires)
And then
Ford
Freightliner
International

jimpc

Can you do it as anRFP instead of a bid?
We can build it out to what we want and get bids on exactly what we spec. We have to allow a certain amount of local companies an opportunity to bid on it though. But this isn't like we put out a request for any bucket truck and get bids for every configuration under the sun. We can put exactly what we want down to the mirrors on the chassis.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom