New climbline milking

customcuts

So I am wondering if I will have issues with a fairly new climbing rope (bluemoon) I spliced a tight eye on it when I first got it then melted and whipped the opposite end. Should this rope be allowed to.milk before whipping and melting the end or will it be ok as is? I've only climbed on it 3 times since I got it and I really like it. Haven't noticed anything wrong with it.....what are you guys experiences?

Ralph

Raven

I used Blue Moon for a couple yrs and loved it. I noticed little to no milking, but I use knots for termination and switch ends regularly.

Why don't you just milk it all out on purpose before finishing the nonspliced end?

customcuts

I guess I could just tape the end and climb on it until its done milking then whip it huh? Just curious to know if it will negatively affect the rope by not allowing it to milk at all? What if I had spliced eyes on both ends of a new rope?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Here's what I do with new ropes.

Milk back the cover and pull out about 6" of core. Hot cut or tape the core. Milk the sheath back over and hot cut/tape/whip the sheath. now the two pieces can move independently of each other. Once the rope stabilizes cut off the milked sheath but leave the core alone. The core will still be a little shorter than the sheath. You can keep doing this as long as you need to.

Top Bottom