New climber, looking for guidance

Owen Roberson

Hey Treebuzz,
I am a completely self taught climber I have been climbing for almost 10 months and was wanting to get connected with other climbers in the area (NC, right outside of Raleigh) if there is any, and looking for all the help and knowledge I can gain as I continue learning about the world of arboriculture.

Winchman

Another self-taught climber here, I've also learned a lot on Treebuzz. I got interested in climbing looking for a way to get upper body exercise, but it's been good for the mind, too. I've made it useful and more interesting by offering to remove dead limbs from yard trees in my neighborhood in exchange for permission to climb.

Crimsonking

Owen, I’m in the Triad, but I know a couple people in your area. Look up the Treeist. They hold free climbing trainings every Saturday. Reach out ahead of time and let them know your situation so you guys can work out some specifics to focus on. Another great guy is Chris with CS Tree Services. He’s laid back and well connected with several companies in the triangle.

Owen Roberson

Owen, I’m in the Triad, but I know a couple people in your area. Look up the Treeist. They hold free climbing trainings every Saturday. Reach out ahead of time and let them know your situation so you guys can work out some specifics to focus on. Another great guy is Chris with CS Tree Services. He’s laid back and well connected with several companies in the triangle.
Thank you guys for that fast feed back, I have been studying from educated climber Patrick on YouTube along with treefools channel, and im trying to read as much Fromm the archives as I can, I only can read so much in a day. Ill defiantly reach out to the treeist and try to get in contact with Chris.

colb

Thank you guys for that fast feed back, I have been studying from educated climber Patrick on YouTube along with treefools channel, and im trying to read as much Fromm the archives as I can, I only can read so much in a day. Ill defiantly reach out to the treeist and try to get in contact with Chris.
My first year I stopped all media input except climbing education. Every night I would read forum posts (and watch a bit of YouTube) for hours to transfer my education in biology and my rock climbing experience into a career climbing trees.

One of the guys here said something that really hit home - that the first 3-6 months are critical for a new climber to be lucky and thus avoid injury. That reminded me that I was dealing with things I did not know. I ended up peeling a live oak branch inside my lanyard - my worst new guy mistake. The branch was about 4 or 5 inches diameter and grew roughly horizontal. Being 25 feet long and extremely dense, the lever action was astounding. I had a frantic and successful moment in the tree, and a sore back for a week or two.

Not only did that prepare me for later choices regarding lanyard placement; I became even more aware and eager to learn in general. I don't think I would have done that on a larger branch. I think I just brushed it off as a small branch that I could make a crappy cut on and get away with it.

Try to give yourself a bigger buffer to recover from your mistakes while you learn. I still try to do that, but at day's end some work is pretty committing...

20201210_120659.jpg

Reach

My first year I stopped all media input except climbing education. Every night I would read forum posts (and watch a bit of YouTube) for hours to transfer my education in biology and my rock climbing experience into a career climbing trees.

One of the guys here said something that really hit home - that the first 3-6 months are critical for a new climber to be lucky and thus avoid injury. That reminded me that I was dealing with things I did not know. I ended up peeling a live oak branch inside my lanyard - my worst new guy mistake. The branch was about 4 or 5 inches diameter and grew roughly horizontal. Being 25 feet long and extremely dense, the lever action was astounding. I had a frantic and successful moment in the tree, and a sore back for a week or two.

Not only did that prepare me for later choices regarding lanyard placement; I became even more aware and eager to learn in general. I don't think I would have done that on a larger branch. I think I just brushed it off as a small branch that I could make a crappy cut on and get away with it.

Try to give yourself a bigger buffer to recover from your mistakes while you learn. I still try to do that, but at day's end some work is pretty committing...

View attachment 72868
Great advice, and a very nice drop on that top!

rico

Curious why you don't go get a job working with a pro outfit? It is the very best way to become a good well rounded tree-men after all..It will also exponentially speed up your learning curve.

Last edited:

Owen Roberson

Curious why you don't go get a job working with a pro outfit? It is the very best way to become a good well rounded tree-men after all..It will also exponentially speed up your learning curve.
its hard to do that when I am a high school junior, taking two college classes and working part time at a grocery store. I keep trying to get in contact with tree company, just wanting to go and see them work, maybe be a grounds men. But they find out Im young and then they stop responding to me. So I just have to keep practicing and learning what I can.

rico

Sorry. I guess I missed the part where you are still in high school...Like yourself I knew very early in life what I wanted to do, but came up in a time when I could simply drop out school and go to work. NOT an option for you...

Keep on with your education and progress as a climber when you can. I can't stress enough that you do your very best to learn from professionals though...It sounds like you will be old enough to start working summers with a professional Arb outfit, so I would HIGHLY suggest that you do so when your are able to do so... Leave the YouTube bullshit until you fully understand who and what you are actually watching...

Owen Roberson

Sorry. I guess I missed the part where you are still in high school...Like yourself I knew very early in life what I wanted to do, but came up in a time when I could simply drop out school and go to work. NOT an option for you...

Keep on with your education and progress as a climber when you can. I can't stress enough that you do your very best to learn from professionals though...It sounds like you will be old enough to start working summers with a professional Arb outfit, so I would HIGHLY suggest that you do so when your are able to do so... Leave the YouTube bullshit until you fully understand who and what you are actually watching...
Thanks, we know some people who own a small tree removal business in willow springs and are trying to see if I can learn from them.

southsoundtree

Get to an indoor 'rock' climbing gym if you want to progress fast. Climb the smallest foot holds, on lower-angled faces, focusing on balance and efficiency/ least effort, and bring that with you to tree climbing.

I can't hire anyone under 18.

Check your local state Department of Labor about any restrictions.

Learn your knots/ hitches/ bends, Portawrap/ lowering device use, rope-management skills, and chainsaw handling and cutting/ maintenance/ sharpening skills.. and hit the ground running when you get a position, ready to learn lots more.

Cereal_Killer

It's probably less about his states dept of labor and more about any reputable tree companies insurance regs.

Have you tried just showing up at a tree companies shop 7am one morning and asking in person if you could shadow them for the day? DO NOT offer to help or assist in any way, just observe and ask questions and talk with the guys and most importantly (I mean zero disrespect here) stay the fuck out of their way.

Owen Roberson

I turn 17 next week so I will be able to apprentice soon as a grounds men and work up to small pruning, but until then hopefully being able to stay away from the action but being able to see the professionals at work

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom