New climber grip question

Update: I bought some showa/atlas 300 gloves and they are super grippy. I don't have any issues after getting those gloves.

Hi All,
I'm hoping you guys can help me with a question I have. I got my first climbing gear yesterday and I practiced in my basement and then about 10 feet off the ground natural crotch around a branch/trunk.

I'm curious about grip/burn on my hands. I'm having a very hard time holding and pulling the rope to climb. The rope seems a little slippery to me and wearing a glove makes the grip even worse. The glove helps a little bit with burn but I still get burn and blisters on my hands just from ascending the rope. Once I'm at a height going down the rope has been very easy.

A little background on what I've bene doing:.
I have 120 feet of arbor-plex rope. I bought arbor plex because it was cheap but still looked extremely safe and durable for natural crotch. I also have a steel core flipline but I haven't used it yet because I'm only going 10 feet off the ground for now.

I've been playing with a blake's hitch which I've had mild success with. I find it hard to tighten the hitch enough so it can hold my weight When I do get it tight enough to hold my weight I find it hard to untie after I climb on it. I've also been playing with a 9MM RIT cord. I've been tying a michoacan hitch with 5 wraps. I've had a lot more success with that. However I'm still having issues getting up the rope due to my grip / burn issues with my hands.

Last edited:

Winchman

Branched out member
I've had good luck with Hardy work gloves from Harbor Freight.
They're amazingly cheap, they grip really well, and they last longer than I ever imagined they would.

I'll usually climb a few feet using just my arms and gloved hands, but after that I switch to a double hand ascender with a foot loop. I can make several 60+foot climbs a day with that combination, and my hands won't be sore.

I'm using a double rope setup with a Petzl Zigzag, so I can't offer much help on friction hitches.

I've had good luck with Hardy work gloves from Harbor Freight.
They're amazingly cheap, they grip really well, and they last longer than I ever imagined they would.

I'll usually climb a few feet using just my arms and gloved hands, but after that I switch to a double hand ascender with a foot loop. I can make several 60+foot climbs a day with that combination, and my hands won't be sore.

I'm using a double rope setup with a Petzl Zigzag, so I can't offer much help on friction hitches.
Thanks, I'll have to give those gloves a try. at $2 you can't go wrong.

Reach

Been here a while
Rubber dipped gloves, like pictured above, work great for gripping rope. In time if you climb a lot your hands will grow accustomed to the rope, but until then gloves are great. I used to wear Atlas gloves myself.

Arborplex is a cheap rope and not much fun to climb on - I know from years of experience. It is however plenty safe to use, and it’s rather durable in natural crotch use. It is a bit cantankerous when it comes to the Blake’s though, if I remember correctly.

Where do you buy your atlas gloves from? anywhere I can go into the store? I can buy them online from somewhere like Wesspur but I already bought the bulk of what I need so I wouldn't get free shipping on it.
Rubber dipped gloves, like pictured above, work great for gripping rope. In time if you climb a lot your hands will grow accustomed to the rope, but until then gloves are great. I used to wear Atlas gloves myself.

Arborplex is a cheap rope and not much fun to climb on - I know from years of experience. It is however plenty safe to use, and it’s rather durable in natural crotch use. It is a bit cantankerous when it comes to the Blake’s though, if I remember correctly.

treesap

Participating member

Reach

Been here a while
Where do you buy your atlas gloves from? anywhere I can go into the store? I can buy them online from somewhere like Wesspur but I already bought the bulk of what I need so I wouldn't get free shipping on it.
I used to order them by the dozen from Gemplers, but my saw shop also stocks them. Try a local hardware store, or Home Depot/Lowe’s. They’ll have something similar, any rubber dipped gloves will work about the same.

treesap

Participating member
I got a pair from the dollar general, not the best quality, and a tad expensive but they work good
im yet to try the atlas gloves, im thinking I might have to

kludge

I had more luck tying my Blake’s hitch with another line than arborplex. I for a while climbed on arboplex and a sixteen strand split tail. As a heavier guy I also had to do more wraps above the place where the tail of the Blake’s comes out. Something like 3 above and 2 below. The arborplex is a slippery line. The pain in the hands does subside some, and techniques improve.

moss

Been here a while
Atlas was bought out by Showa a few years ago, they still have the Atlas name on the back. The Atlas 300’s are what you’re looking for. Since Showa took over the sizes have shifted slightly smaller, I used to wear size M, now size L fits better. They should be snug so they don’t get sucked into the hitch all the time but not too tight, just right. Available in most hardware stores and garden centers. They’ll make a world of difference in your climbing.
-AJ

Bart_

Participating member
Moss, your observed size change was for the blue Atlas Fit/300's, and/or also the grey Therma-Fits?

evo

Been here a while
Our local gas stations and hardware stores sell them. Wesspur prices are about half but some times it’s just a easy grab
I wear the therma fit year round (the grey ones) I’m a tall skinny guy and my hands are no different. I also find their is more meat when gripping smaller diameter, last twice as long, and also help more with vibration than the blue ones. But they get twice as stanky.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom