New chipper or used.

Adam Willis

Going to be buying a chipper as soon as my chip truck is finished seems like the used market is pretty beat up either lots of hours and trashed or way overpriced.

What's your guys take on it Buy a brand new chipper or hope for the best with a used piece.

I've been really leaning towards going with the 18xp with the gas motor.
Also this will be my first chipper for the business all together.

Bucknut

Always go new if possible. You will know exactly what you're getting. Used equipment (especially chippers) tends to get really beat up. You want an 18 inch chipper? Dollars to donuts some idiot on the last crew tried to feed it a 20 inch log. Repeatedly. For years.

On the flipside, I understand that a brand new 18 inch chipper is not cheap. But like you said, all the used ones seem to be very pricey anyway. I guess I'd rather take the hit up front and have a nice reliable machine to show for it than save some money up front and cross my fingers.

Adam Willis

yeah the 18xp new with a gasser is like 60k ish. I feel like its the one purchase that no matter what should be a new purchase seems like all chippers take a beating.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Like most of our gear chippers either do nothing or operate at 70-80% of their capabilities.

If you have the money marry a brand new chipper.

Adam Willis

sounds like brand new will be the plan. still have not quite decided on going 12 15 or 18 inch yet. would love to go big and be done with it for a few years

Tr33Climb3r

sounds like brand new will be the plan. still have not quite decided on going 12 15 or 18 inch yet. would love to go big and be done with it for a few years
Inch capacity doesn't matter as much as the engine behind it. Unless you are doing more removals then get the 18 in. But with an 18 in you will need a larger capacity chip truck.
But always get the biggest engine in the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Willis

I can't afford a 18 with a diesel option that's for sure. My chip truck is 38 yards. I do some trimming mostly removals. I could afford the 15xp with the largest diesel option but the tier 4 is something i would like to stay away from. Unless someone has some better input on why i should go with the 15 with diesel vs 18 with gas.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom