National 13105 LMI Failure

ROYCE

Any one able to help? I am contacting national service as well, but if I could avoid having to spend money on a tech or a visit to the shop that would be great.

So, taking down a tree on Thursday. Limb contacted the LMI wire and must haven been rubbing on it as I was lowering the it. Everything was fine. Then when I went to fold the boom up and retract in, the computer shut me off.
I over rode the system and got the boom into cradle. I then looked at the LMI wire and saw that the inner wire was sticking out about 10 feet from the end of the boom tip. So, I cut this section out as it was only 10 feet from the end of the boom.
The wire consists on a center wire, and a woven wire around that. They are separated at their ends and then tied into a little bon on the end of the boom that the A2B is connected to.
Put it back together exactly how it was.....NOW: The computer has all the wrong info. The only correct info is the angle of the boom.
Question, do I have re-program the LMI?

flyingsquirrel25

The wire spool is 10 feet off now. The wire also measures the distance of extension... By cutting it short it has been thrown out of calibration.
I saw part of the calibration process on a manitex crane and it's done inside that spool but other than that I don't know what he was doing. But it worked. You should get wireless, there is nothing like not worrying about that stupid wire!!!

ROYCE

The wire spool is 10 feet off now. The wire also measures the distance of extension... By cutting it short it has been thrown out of calibration.
I saw part of the calibration process on a manitex crane and it's done inside that spool but other than that I don't know what he was doing. But it worked. You should get wireless, there is nothing like not worrying about that stupid wire!!!
I never thought about the wire measuring the boom length. That totally makes sense now. I thought it was done off the inside of the boom.
I just got off the phone with Joe. He says he can help me fix it. He said the same things that its in the spool housing and the manual gives a diagram and instructions.
I looked into the wireless. It's 12K for a complete set up. I am saving for that to be done by years end. I hate trying to boom down into pines only to have the cable get snagged.

flyingsquirrel25

I forgot about Joe. We fixed those cranes atleast once a month when we first got them. And when John was operating. Atleast until Donny decided to say screw it, bypassed it and said you should be paying attention anyhow. Lol. Ahhh the good ole days!
All of my guys cranes down here are wireless now. It's so much more productive because you don't have to worry about it and there is no hassles trying to get it untangled. Well worth 12k.
Atleast if you learn to fix it you can make it tolerable until the dough is saved up for the technology.

ROYCE

So I opened the LMI case and found the setting to reset the boom length. That was easy. I just sucked the boom all the way in and then looked at the load chart and it said 31 feet. So I turned the LMI screen so I could see it while standing on the deck and turned the screw until the reading was correct. So, everything is back to normal.....EXCEPT the reading for the weight on ball. It reads 400 and then goes to 600 when I have the boom in the air. This should read 200 with nothing on the hook. Any idea where to adjust that number?

dbl612

So I opened the LMI case and found the setting to reset the boom length. That was easy. I just sucked the boom all the way in and then looked at the load chart and it said 31 feet. So I turned the LMI screen so I could see it while standing on the deck and turned the screw until the reading was correct. So, everything is back to normal.....EXCEPT the reading for the weight on ball. It reads 400 and then goes to 600 when I have the boom in the air. This should read 200 with nothing on the hook. Any idea where to adjust that number?
there are two adjustable pots inside the main cpu to trim the transducer readings. the deviation of 200 lbs is nothing in the overall picture of things, and can vary that much with temp changes from cold oil to hot oil. it is a good thing that they read a tad high, as that is a safety cushion for you. the 13105 is a solid, trouble free simple machine. PAT makes a wireless kit for the ds150 system that is less than 5k installed. the spaghetti wire to read boom length can be replaced with 1/8" stainless cable that is bulletproof and hard to damage.

ROYCE

there are two adjustable pots inside the main cpu to trim the transducer readings. the deviation of 200 lbs is nothing in the overall picture of things, and can vary that much with temp changes from cold oil to hot oil. it is a good thing that they read a tad high, as that is a safety cushion for you. the 13105 is a solid, trouble free simple machine. PAT makes a wireless kit for the ds150 system that is less than 5k installed. the spaghetti wire to read boom length can be replaced with 1/8" stainless cable that is bulletproof and hard to damage.
Wow! Thanks for the information. I will look into that. I never thought about a wireless system that could use some of the components that are already installed on my crane.
I think I have it figured out. It is back to reading 200 pounds. However, on initial set up it reads about 800 as the boom is moving up. Once it stops it settles at 200.

craneguy1

Check your manual!!! Also you can download pdf versions of the lmi service manuals on your phone...they are a little bit more detailed than the national books. With a wire on the outside of the boom, get used to these type of problems and also pick up a spare wire....prepare for sticker shock!!!! About $600 usually...

ROYCE

Check your manual!!! Also you can download pdf versions of the lmi service manuals on your phone...they are a little bit more detailed than the national books. With a wire on the outside of the boom, get used to these type of problems and also pick up a spare wire....prepare for sticker shock!!!! About $600 usually...
Thank you! Yeah, I just looked into the new wire. I am going with a longer one so I can just cut the bad section if it happens again, if it's not in the middle of the wire. They are expensive.

dbl612

Wow! Thanks for the information. I will look into that. I never thought about a wireless system that could use some of the components that are already installed on my crane.
I think I have it figured out. It is back to reading 200 pounds. However, on initial set up it reads about 800 as the boom is moving up. Once it stops it settles at 200.
the spike pressure to get the boom moving causes that. static pressure readings are the most accurate because the LMI measures pressure on both sides of the luff cylinder to determine weight.

dbl612

250$ from a national dealer.

dbl612

Thank you! Yeah, I just looked into the new wire. I am going with a longer one so I can just cut the bad section if it happens again, if it's not in the middle of the wire. They are expensive.
130' is the standard length i believe.

christreez

We have had a few instances of the a2b cable breaking or getting knocked off the spool by a low branch while driving. We were always able to get it back by just treating it like a recoil on a chainsaw. Boom all the way out and either take wraps off or put wraps on the spool until you hit your number. Now you might not get your perfect point but you will be able to use it the rest of the day. Then in our case we fine tuned the length by loosening the cable clamp at the boom tip and pulling an extra foot of wire through and redo clamp. now we have a little coil of extra wire tucked away.
Now is this the proper way? Probably not but it has been working fine for a year now and was a fix in the field that did not require any downtime.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dbl612

We have had a few instances of the a2b cable breaking or getting knocked off the spool by a low branch while driving. We were always able to get it back by just treating it like a recoil on a chainsaw. Boom all the way out and either take wraps off or put wraps on the spool until you hit your number. Now you might not get your perfect point but you will be able to use it the rest of the day. Then in our case we fine tuned the length by loosening the cable clamp at the boom tip and pulling an extra foot of wire through and redo clamp. now we have a little coil of extra wire tucked away.
Now is this the proper way? Probably not but it has been working fine for a year now and was a fix in the field that did not require any downtime.

if you need to recalibrate, set your tension to the level you like, retract the boom fully. take the cover off the boom reel, and you will see a white plastic slotted screw in the center of the reel potentiometer. turn it gently and slowly so the lmi reads the reacted boomlengt shown on your load chart. reinstall cover. like to put a light coating of white grease on the cover o-ring so it seals better and the ring doesn't get damaged for future removals.

craneguy1

I have a guy that does my major problem/certifications that has this wire made now and he buys it by the 5000 foot spool...mine is 180' and run through the boom and he quoted me like 50% of what our national dealer charges.

craneguy1

You could i guess; but it is really easy to calibrate the correct way.

craneguy1

You will still have to calibrate!