Mystery cord

dmonn

Anybody recognize this? I checked the usual suspects and can't find it. The white, tightly braided cord is the single strand core. It's outside the cover because I pulled it out to try something that didn't work. It seems like it could be decent hitch cord, and maybe spliceable.

Attachments

• 20210328_124005.jpg
    20210328_124005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Jonny

Ice Tail maybe.
Is it heat resistant? Try melting the end of a strand or two and see if it melts or just scorches.

Jonny

So that “core” is nothing I think. Might help keep the hitches a little less flat, but I think it makes it easier to manufacture. Can wait for more advice to make sure, but pretty sure you can pull it out and throw it away.

Jonny

Makes sense I suppose, but my opinion is the big attraction of hollow 12 strands is how easy it is to splice with very little tools.

I got an Icetail eye and eye. Hated it for a climbing system. Probably ok for a lanyard, but I use it for progress capture on MA. Flattens really easy and grabs hard, doesn’t like to release for descending. Maybe a different hitch.

@GregManning the clarity and detail on those pics is outstanding. Something fancier than a cell phone camera?

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes sense I suppose, but my opinion is the big attraction of hollow 12 strands is how easy it is to splice with very little tools.

I got an Icetail eye and eye. Hated it for a climbing system. Probably ok for a lanyard, but I use it for progress capture on MA. Flattens really easy and grabs hard, doesn’t like to release for descending. Maybe a different hitch.

@GregManning the clarity and detail on those pics is outstanding. Something fancier than a cell phone camera?
Camera was Apple Cell phone 6 Plus

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom