Mysterious growth on cedars

KTSmith

Branched out member
Tree species? Where in Canada? I don't mean street address, but a sense of midwest, eastcoast, westcoast. People call all sorts of trees "cedar". How about a close-up, in-focus image (or description) of the surface: What's the texture (smooth, rough, leathery, brittle)? Pores, teeth, gills, wrinkles, hairs etc.? Are the edges or margins flat on the bark or curved backward? Sorry to not be more help.

evo

Been here a while
Tree species? Where in Canada? I don't mean street address, but a sense of midwest, eastcoast, westcoast. People call all sorts of trees "cedar". How about a close-up, in-focus image (or description) of the surface: What's the texture (smooth, rough, leathery, brittle)? Pores, teeth, gills, wrinkles, hairs etc.? Are the edges or margins flat on the bark or curved backward? Sorry to not be more help.
Looking at the duff, Im very confident its western red... Certainly Thuja

Hello all, apologies for the lack of description earlier!

Tree species: Thuja occidentalis
Texture: Unknown as I am just going from pictures

I will attach a few other photos the tree owner sent, but I can't say that they are any better quality though. I appreciate the response!

image1 (2).jpeg image0 (5).jpeg

KTSmith

Branched out member
I think what's hanging me up here is the color rendering on my monitor. If it is indeed greenish, verify that is not a lichen.

If not lichen and given the genus Thuja, I'd start with the decay fungus: Postia sericeomollis, which has had a bunch of different names with the synonymy given here. I say "start with" because I still don't have the diagnostic details squared away.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
This is western redcedar.

I'll look into the suggested causal organism.

Attachments

• 20211103_133230.jpg
    20211103_133230.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211103_133233.jpg
    20211103_133233.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211103_133305.jpg
    20211103_133305.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom