My attempt at a homemade tree squeeze.

Jud

What did you do to secure the eye?
It’s doubled rope just like the tree squeeze. The little clips I use at each end are called rope booster clamps. They were like a dollar each at e-rigging which is the only place I’ve found them. They provide no structural integrity the way I have them used, it’s really just to keep the 2 legs of rope to lay next to one another.

dsptech

I always wondered what Buckingham used.
Theirs looked like they wrapped it in whipping twine.
You used wire rope to stiffen it.
Do you know if that's what Buckingham does?
I thought it was some special stiff rope or a rope that had been milked to hell and back for all it had to give.
I've been interested in the Tree Squeeze for a while to use when climbing some trees with wicked leans.
Your approach is very interesting. (y)

Jud

My understanding is that they use some kind of proprietary stiff rope that isn’t wire core, but it stiffer than normal rope. I looked to buy just the rope but couldn’t find it anywhere for sale, so decided to make mine stiff with the wire core.

Jud

Looks good to me. Did you have to remove the core from the 16 strand?
Yep, the core has been replaced with the 1/4 wire rope. It was a 20 foot piece of wire rope, but it actually buried not too difficultly. I pulled out a little of the core, taped the wire rope to it, then slowly milked the cover over the wire rope while pulling on the core from the other end.

Jud

Thanks! I made it cause most of what I climb out here is loblolly pines which sometimes go up 60 feet before you see a branch. Couldn’t stomach the price tag of a real one and had been toying with testing out a wire core bury, so seemed like a good project.

soon as I get in the tree again I’ll post some pics.

Joeybagodonuts

My understanding is that they use some kind of proprietary stiff rope that isn’t wire core, but it stiffer than normal rope. I looked to buy just the rope but couldn’t find it anywhere for sale, so decided to make mine stiff with the wire core.
Cool project.
I've tried to make a few of these using wire core flip lines as well as some other lanyards. As much as i wanted it to work I don't think i gave it enough time to work out the bugs i was having.

I think if one was to come up with one that disco'd a bit easier for unions & limbs (like a revolver it something), without adding a ton of heavy hardware or clumsy workarounds, youd see them used alot more.

The last time i was looking into one of these, Buckingham was using a Yale Product called Uniline. It's not your typical cordage you'd want to use for where knots are needed as the poly core is bonded together with a rubber adhesive, wrapped like an electrical harness with a textile tape, sleeved with an outter sheath, then finally coated in another rubber solution & at some point entered an oven. Its more of a cable than coradage, hence Buckingham's uses as non-metallic cable products.
It is spliceable, but requires a rather advanced process as well as very long buries.

I don't know of an "Arb" related vendors selling it, but there is one guy on eBay that sells used lengths of it. He literally had miles of it last time i was looking. I don't recall the size though. For new, you'd want to look more towards industrial vendors, maybe even marine..idk for sure.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom