My Accident 50ft Fall

SamNQ

Hello fellow buzzers! My name is Sam Neterval-Quiel. On 02/22/2021, I took a 50 ft fall while working in a 83hd arbor pro lift machine. Currently from what I understand, it is still being processed and examine to conclude why it failed. My post is meant to describe my experience. I can't fully confidently recall what happened, but I believe I stayed inside the basket during the fall. Once the bucket hit the ground I fell out of the basket and fell into the snow. Co-workers followed there assignment to call first responders and stick next to me and get me rescued. I am super thankful for there decisions. I didn't come to consciousness until 02/25/2021. Thats when I found out my injuries. I broke 4 ribs, punctured a lung, broke 2 vertebra in my neck, a major bone in my pelvic and cracked my collar bone. None of the health workers could tell me exactly when I would fully heal. I estimate it will be 6-8 months of recovering. For what it is, I am super grateful with my luck not dying or becoming paralyzed. I also would like to thank everyone who has donated into the go fund account. It means so much for me! Currently Im home and will continue recovering and healing myself back into being normal. I wish everyone well and hope everyone avoids getting injured during tree work.

flushcut

I am glad you are at home and on the mend I know it is going to be a rough ride but I am sure you got this.
One question I have about the accident is what position were you in? It looks like both failures I have seen the boom was in the horizontal position.

SamNQ

I am glad you are at home and on the mend I know it is going to be a rough ride but I am sure you got this.
One question I have about the accident is what position were you in? It looks like both failures I have seen the boom was in the horizontal position.
I am unsure what position the machine was in. Thanks for the reply

Ob2

Really glad you survived that one Sam, all good healing vibes to you. Thanks a lot for sharing, reminding us all what we take in out hands working at height.

Even with no outward sign, it's nigh impossible to fall that far and not have some degree of brain injury. I survived a hit maybe half that bad (not tree related, bike meets bus thing), and I hugely recommend looking until you find a therapist you gel with if some anxiety/depression/PTSD stuff comes up in the future. EMDR, Hakomi, Somatic Experiencing, even yoga therapy are all great as long as the practitioner feels like a good fit. I don't think we've met, but don't hesitate to PM me if you just need to vent etc. I'm sure lots of guys on here feel the same.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom