Munter hitch for lowering limbs

Reach

Been here a while
I have not, and personally would not due to the rope-on-rope friction that hitch creates. Overload it or let a piece run and you could easily burn right through a rope.

treesap

Participating member
pros: fast and easy setup, you already have the gear

cons: will twist rope, cant really change the amount of friction, will wear rope quicker, only for light stuff

Neill

Thanks for everyone’s input, I plan to give it a go on my next job. I definitely like the idea of using it on a stub. I might try using a big Clevis shackle too instead of a carabiner.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
Anybody run munters on aluminum biners? I use munters now and then, but always on steel. I'll always have some steel biners with me, so no reason to use aluminum.

theatertech87

Branched out member
Lots of talk about the cons of the minter... All perfectly valid

There are advantages though over something like the triple thimble or safebloc. it's really easy to pop a munter on midline without threading the whole rope through.

I also feel like the munter works better than a figure 8 both from a friction added standpoint as well as an ease of resetting for the next piece

It hasn't been mentioned, but some kind of sling to attach the carabiner to the tree is required

KevinS

Branched out member
A lot of guys switched from the munter to a figure 8 for that size of rigging but the munter is an ok tool in the tool box if you use it right. Guys used to take down trees every day with that. But that said, things improve and grow for a reason. That said a porti is simple and consistent every time just the same tool.

As pointed out above one guy said good for 75 lbs I personally do that with leather gloves maybe an xrr at the tree base and the top rigging point. You’d be surprised how much a couple xrrs can help.

Chaplain242

Branched out member
A lot of guys switched from the munter to a figure 8 for that size of rigging but the munter is an ok tool in the tool box if you use it right. Guys used to take down trees every day with that. But that said, things improve and grow for a reason. That said a porti is simple and consistent every time just the same tool.

As pointed out above one guy said good for 75 lbs I personally do that with leather gloves maybe an xrr at the tree base and the top rigging point. You’d be surprised how much a couple xrrs can help.
Munter is fantastic for tight quarters negative rigging on the fly... have used it for 250lbs although 16 strand doesn’t particularly like it...

Crimsonking

Carpal tunnel level member
When a second ground guy was late to a job, I put a munter behind the x ring I was using so the solo ground guy could tag the brush away from understory. It’s been in my skill box ever since.

Top Bottom