Multi-function joystick - how to release hydraulic pressure

lumberjackson

I got the giant 254T and a TNA grapple a month ago and they're awesome. But, when re-connecting the hydraulics on the grapple, there is still pressure built up in the machine side of the hydraulics. The machine needs to be on in order to control the aux hydraulics, so I'll shut the engine off, turn the key back to run without starting the engine, and use the aux hydraulic button and joystick to try to relieve the pressure, but it hasn't worked so far. I end up cracking the fitting on the loader every time I have to hook it up. Anybody else experienced this and have a solution?

Thanks!

lumberjackson

Yours doesn't have the physical levers just behind the joystick? Our 254T's do just for that purpose.
No, there's a button on the joystick you press and hold that switches the left/right function to the aux. instead of tilt/curl.

I'll try not closing the grapple all the way. Thanks!

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
Odd, what year is yours? Ours are 2-3 years old but I wouldn't imagine them taking useful options away. That change would seem counterintuitive...

Boom in/out are buttons on the left side of stick and have a corresponding lever just behind the stick, grapple open/close are the buttons on the front of the stick and have the other lever.
You can use either for control (and the levers physically move when you activate the buttons). These are levers on the actual hydro valve and therefore can be used to release pressure when the motor is off.

*Right side of stick are an unused button and the center diff lock button.

lumberjackson

Odd, what year is yours? Ours are 2-3 years old but I wouldn't imagine them taking useful options away. That change would seem counterintuitive...

Boom in/out are buttons on the left side of stick and have a corresponding lever just behind the stick, grapple open/close are the buttons on the front of the stick and have the other lever.
You can use either for control (and the levers physically move when you activate the buttons). These are levers on the actual hydro valve and therefore can be used to release pressure when the motor is off.

*Right side of stick are an unused button and the center diff lock button.
Whoa crazy. Mine is a 2017 I think. Boom in/out are on the front of the stick. The unused button on yours by the diff lock is the grapple switch on mine, no buttons on the left side of the stick. There is a lever behind the stick, but that controls a separate aux circuit (for continuous flow type attachments I think) that has fittings on the non-tele part of the boom. I must've gotten a different joystick option or they switched it up between years, maybe to solve the problem I'm having.

lumberjackson

treesap

Participating member
I have zero experience with this machine, so take this with a grain of salt
and this may be a bad idea, do your research

maybe make up a short hydraulic line to connect your pressure side to the return side? just some quick connects, a Tee fitting and some hose (I assume 2 pressure and 1 return to run the grapple?)

would allow the machine to equalize pressure between the pressure and return side (effectively zero pressure)

just a thought, im not sure how your machine works but thats what I would do

tnttree

Participating member
Yes, but the pressure build up is in the machine, not the attachment. Shouldn't there be some way to relieve pressure on the machine side?
Are you sure about that?
Try plugging the grapple into it itself - if its not pressurized it will go right together
both sides can lock up -
On the machine side though - because all machine valves bleed internally over time the pressure goes down. (unless there is a ck valve in the system)

the machine should equalize Somewhat by wiggling your mechanical controls - or if you only have electric over hydraulic turn ignition on without starting the engine and run your Auxilary function - this will equalize the pressure in your lines butt it does not mean the lines are not pressurized

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom