Ms200t

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
My 200t suddenly started running differently in the middle of a removal this morning, I'd been using it for about 2.5 hrs with no issues other than I'm starting to think it may need a new carb. Regardless of adjustments it struggles to hold an idle once warm, but cuts great.

Today while cutting it suddenly started running at a faster RPM and now the chain will not stop spinning around the bar. It doesn't die off anymore but is running much to quick to be considered an idle.

First though that came to mind was maybe a broken piston ring? The lower compression allowing the saw to run faster. The saw does sound different now as well, I'm unsure if I'm hearing something or if it's simply the motor racing that I'm hearing.

At the point in the video I've adjusted the carb low enough that it will stall out, but the RPMs are still up and the chain is still spinning up until the saw stalls. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Skc97o8c6K4ht9fT6

I'm not the best at working on chainsaws, so I'm just guessing that it's a ring. Any thoughts?

Jehinten

Thanks everyone. I sat it aside for the day and finished the removal with a 261.

I may get a chance to look into it tomorrow, I'm working the weekend this week since it's the only days not raining between last week and next week.

evo

Been here a while
I’d also check the intake boot it’s fairly common to give the saw a tug when it starts pinching. With the anti vibe on these saws it allows for enough movement to rupture and cause a leak. Broken clutch spring will keep the clutch engaged at idle but not change idle speed of the engine.

Jehinten

I took a very brief look this morning without any disassembly apart from the clutch cover and pulled the plug. From what I could see of the boot there was no tear, there is however a lot of boot that I couldn't see that could be torn.

What’s the plug look like?
Screenshot_20210607-075426_Gallery.jpg not great, but all in one piece

I believe I found the culprit in the muffler. As I was removing the spark plug I saw the muffler rattling around. It seems the mounting screws backed out and essentially is a large modded muffler (I'm sure some gas is still going through it) this would account for the change in sound and would throw the carb adjustments out making it run lean.

I'll know definitively if that's the only problem after I get back to the shop with a torx to reinstall it.

evo

Been here a while
I took a very brief look this morning without any disassembly apart from the clutch cover and pulled the plug. From what I could see of the boot there was no tear, there is however a lot of boot that I couldn't see that could be torn.

View attachment 76151 not great, but all in one piece

I believe I found the culprit in the muffler. As I was removing the spark plug I saw the muffler rattling around. It seems the mounting screws backed out and essentially is a large modded muffler (I'm sure some gas is still going through it) this would account for the change in sound and would throw the carb adjustments out making it run lean.

I'll know definitively if that's the only problem after I get back to the shop with a torx to reinstall it.
It’s good to get in the habit of snugging em down with every chain swap. A little lock tie helps too

Jehinten

It’s good to get in the habit of snugging em down with every chain swap. A little lock tie helps too
I've had this saw for 2.5 years now and it's the first time that's happened. I'll be making it a habit to check those screws from here on out and to keep a torx on the truck.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom