MRS Tie In Options

MatKep

When running MRS what are some options for extending the tie in to my bridge? i.e. adding a little extra length to help with the hip thrust/pull motion. Climbing in a New Tribe Tengu with delta link.

Have been using different length slings basketed through the delta link and then clip the HC to that. Works well enough I guess... Tried a floating prussic and it works well too, just wondering about long term damage to the rope from the severe bend radius... should I be concerned about that? Any other options? What about using an E2E sort of like a quick draw?

Cereal_Killer

Search "O rig" (may need to use Google site search as "O" is definitely to short of a term for the built in search, and "rig", if long enough, is super common and will return too many results to be helpful. It may also be good to search it on YouTube with some other tree climbing terms thrown in).

Do not use an E2E in end to end config (like a quick draw), they're strength rating is in basket configuration only!

Tuebor

Here's a thread, but I think there are better results on Google. Search "O-Rig climbing system".

moss

When running MRS what are some options for extending the tie in to my bridge? i.e. adding a little extra length to help with the hip thrust/pull motion. Climbing in a New Tribe Tengu with delta link.

Have been using different length slings basketed through the delta link and then clip the HC to that. Works well enough I guess... Tried a floating prussic and it works well too, just wondering about long term damage to the rope from the severe bend radius... should I be concerned about that? Any other options? What about using an E2E sort of like a quick draw?
Photos of your “floating prusik” with “severe bend radius”? That would help.

Hip thrusting is a solid technique for a few short moves in a tree, not a sustainable way to climb for more than that, Get your feet involved (footlock the tail) or put a footloop on the rope tail with a prusik or rope clamp and you can as ascend all day MRS without wearing out your arms.
-AJ

MatKep

Thanks guys. I learned the Floating Prusik from watching Hamel and the Hitch Climbers Guide... seems like it’s the same as the O-Rig... unless I’m missing something or maybe confused the names? Here’s a pic.

@moss The severe bend is through the delta on the saddle. Guessing as long as I keep it off the splice, maybe 6-8” from the eye, it will be ok?

Deff not using hip thrusting for long ascents (any more)... Wised up and got a foot ascender for that.

Question more arose from the trade off between the two systems... O-Rig seems much easier to ascend but harder to advance the TIP... conventional HC being easier to advance the TIP but more difficult to ascend without extending the HC. Do most folks just use O-Rig for longer ascents then switch over to the conventional HC setup for positioning and smaller ascents?

moss

Thanks guys. I learned the Floating Prusik from watching Hamel and the Hitch Climbers Guide... seems like it’s the same as the O-Rig... unless I’m missing something or maybe confused the names? Here’s a pic.

@moss The severe bend is through the delta on the saddle. Guessing as long as I keep it off the splice, maybe 6-8” from the eye, it will be ok?

Deff not using hip thrusting for long ascents (any more)... Wised up and got a foot ascender for that.

Question more arose from the trade off between the two systems... O-Rig seems much easier to ascend but harder to advance the TIP... conventional HC being easier to advance the TIP but more difficult to ascend without extending the HC. Do most folks just use O-Rig for longer ascents then switch over to the conventional HC setup for positioning and smaller ascents?

For MRS I keep the hitch low and grab the rope one hand above the hitch and one below for a Blake’s and both hands above for an eye-2-eye, climb continuously no sitting back per pull as with hip thrusting, more efficient and as fast as you can go MRS.

Pic not coming through but your description does it. You could put a micropulley on the delta to improve the bend radius. Extender sling is fine too.
-AJ

MatKep

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. I’ve learned so much combing this forum and appreciate your willingess to answer questions and give pointers to newbies - it is both reassuring and refreshing.

MatKep

Nice! Saw a video of someone using a clove hitch and biner to lock off the working end - so elegantly simple. Why didn’t I think of that? ...Once I got my RW and HAAS I stopped exploring and learning all the possibilities of MRS... time to go back to the basics!

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom