most ergonomic handsaw location?

macrocarpa

Participating member
I have always put my handsaw in the designated locations on my saddles over the years and when in certain positions it can be a strain to reach back to slide into the scabbard.

I have the Onyx saddle now which is the best saddle I have ever used but my one complaint it the shembiner location to stash a chainsaw and the spots to hang the handsaw is a bit of a reach.

Any pics to share of improvised locations to attach a handsaw making it more ergonomic? I have the leg handsaw attachment but never got used to it.

Reach

Been here a while
I’ve just found the leg straps to be the most ergonomic for me, plus the fact that the scabbard is secure, no need to chase it around to put the saw in.

It does take some time and practice to get used to it, but once you do I think you might be surprised to find how much you like it.

Boomslang

Carpal tunnel level member
I have an onyx and I tied my scabbard clip to my d-ring with throw line. Keeps it close at hand. Occasionally my chainsaw will get in the way, but for the most part it's fine. Tried the leg thing for a bit, but never really liked it.

treesap

Participating member
I recently started hanging mine on the forward most gear loop on the left side, really good spot, was gonna go with a leg loop but found that to be too low, used to run it on my right calf but found that combined with spur straps to be a bit too much squeezing my calf, and it snagged ropes allot

the previous owner of my saddle had his hanging on the left side where the waist strap goes (threaded clip over load bearing strap), I tried that and first thing I did was snag the strap with my saw, moved it immediately, not doing that again

metaspencer

The other day, for the second half of a climb (hemlock), I kept my saw in the pile of brush at the base of the tree -- this following a lanyard tail yanking the devil out of its scabbard on my right calf. So this is to say that I haven't found a perfect place for my handsaw, but waist level seemed even worse than my current calf spot.

treesap

Participating member
The other day, for the second half of a climb (hemlock), I kept my saw in the pile of brush at the base of the tree -- this following a lanyard tail yanking the devil out of its scabbard on my right calf. So this is to say that I haven't found a perfect place for my handsaw, but waist level seemed even worse than my current calf spot.
I was loving the calf, BUT for some reason the saw straps + spur straps squeezing my calf was a bit to much, started using the new waist spot, and it works great, your setup might just be too close to your lanyard, mine is on the opposite side of my lanyard, works good

Birdyman88

Branched out member
The other day, for the second half of a climb (hemlock), I kept my saw in the pile of brush at the base of the tree -- this following a lanyard tail yanking the devil out of its scabbard on my right calf.
With my Silkys, I find that when that starts to happen, I put the heat gun on the plastic retainer (on sheath) and bend it back inward to the create a snug lock again. Don't have to watch my tail to much afterward.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
I have always put my handsaw in the designated locations on my saddles over the years and when in certain positions it can be a strain to reach back to slide into the scabbard.

I have the Onyx saddle now which is the best saddle I have ever used but my one complaint it the shembiner location to stash a chainsaw and the spots to hang the handsaw is a bit of a reach.

Any pics to share of improvised locations to attach a handsaw making it more ergonomic? I have the leg handsaw attachment but never got used to it.
Many years ago I was struggling with the idea of competing in a work climb and seeing how many people lose so much time trying to find the scabbard while in an awkward position. It got me to start taping my handsaw to my leg with hockey tape. Not long after, a friend at Buckingham MFG asked if I would design a leg scabbard. I said yes of course and it became the 1st of its kind. The rest is history.

I don't remember if it was @Tom Dunlap who got me thinking of it or if it was my own idea though? Too far back I guess :D

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
Many years ago I was struggling with the idea of competing in a work climb and seeing how many people lose so much time trying to find the scabbard while in an awkward position. It got me to start taping my handsaw to my leg with hockey tape. Not long after, a friend at Buckingham MFG asked if I would design a leg scabbard. I said yes of course and it became the 1st of its kind. The rest is history.

I don't remember if it was @Tom Dunlap who got me thinking of it or if it was my own idea though? Too far back I guess :D
Really cool story

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The rest is history.

After I got the scabbard I strapped it to my calf and headed up a HUGE American elm.I can replay the video in my head on the first use! Down drooping tip over the house had to be headed back.Hanging on by my toe nails and balancing on the down drooping tip. Made the cut with wobbly stance. It was SOOOO easy to scabbard the saw! I was instantly SOLD! That memory is so clear in my head!

oceans

Been here a while

I use a Saw Pod on my right calf for most everything. I like a straight saw design most of the time, because you can easily stow the saw right or left handed, handle forward or handle back. Rope management strategies are important to prevent the fall of your line from pulling the saw out.

I rather deal with the occasional rope management component than having the scabbard on my hip and hanging plumb when my body is near horizontal for a tip reduction cut. It’s a real waste of time trying to hold a branch and deal with hand saw. With the leg scabbard, I can much more easily put the saw away with either hand.

The only time I don’t se the Saw Pod is when I’m climbing smaller ornaments or working on a tripod ladder and I want the combo saw/hand snip scabbard.

@SoftBankHawks has employed some very cool saw storage strategies. Maybe he’ll chime in.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom