Morbark broken lower feed wheels

96coal449

I've did a search on this here and read what little I could find. Currently there are two chippers for sale that have this issue. Both are stated to have broken lowers. One is an '08 and the other an '06. Anyone know what the repair costs are? How difficult are the repairs? I'm no stranger to swingin wrenches, and most of the time prefer to fix my own stuff. Never worked on any major chipper issues so any wisdom is welcome.

ROYCE

I had mine repaired when I first got my chipper. Had about 800 hours and it busted. I sent it into Morbark and they put in a new feed wheel, and the two bearings. Total cost including all part and labor was 3300.00

96coal449

I had mine repaired when I first got my chipper. Had about 800 hours and it busted. I sent it into Morbark and they put in a new feed wheel, and the two bearings. Total cost including all part and labor was 3300.00
What year's your machine? Wondering if this is within a certain production run.

ROYCE

2008 or 2009 I believe. I know a TON of people who have had them break. Also the axels break in them as well.

ROYCE

I know of people who have 15"s, 18"s and 20"s who all have had the lower feed wheel brake, right where it is mounted to the hydraulic motor.

96coal449

So guessing you got lucky with a broken shaft? I'd gander the mounts to be a bigger job? I think that's where I read about ripped metal.

evo

I've used a good ole 12"... Not sure of the year, it had a recalled infeed and the fix was a welded on extended shoot. 1980's I think. Both feed wheels had a shaft with a female spline, and they hydro motors had the counterpart to it. The female side was a weld on fitting of a softer type of steel, designed to be the weak point and a easy fix. Just take the motor off, hang it to the side, grind off the old welds and slap the new one on... Cheap part and about an hour to fix, or two at most if you need to drag out the tools from bins.

deevo

What year's your machine? Wondering if this is within a certain production run.
Mine did it 2 years ago, it's an 03 tornado 15" chipper, did it with 750 hours, cost about $2200.00 to repair. Not a problem since, think we have 1055hrs on it.

Local machine shop fixed it up, put in new bearings, made sure everything was balanced and all good.

Last edited:

96coal449

Thanks guys. I'm interested in the 20''er and trying to learn all I can to see what I may be getting my self into before I take a $75k plunge. It does have the loader option which is why it's a high asking price .... and a 325hp Cat engine.

96coal449

Royce, I'll definitely let you know. The 15 is local to me so if I pass this on to you I can give it a hard look over for ya.

96coal449

The 15'' I miss read. It has a broken drum shaft. So it needs the bearings and bushing locks. Royce, I have to apologize ... I'm gonna jump on it. I can get it cheap with 2100hrs and 142hp cat - with winch. Couple dents, new batt box paint and stickers. I can't help it. If I'm unable to get the 20''er I'll have a 15 till I find what I want. Called and left message on the 20.

96coal449

Anyone pull a drum out yet. I think it's easier than a lower feed wheel?
@deevo did you find that to be a PITA to pull out? I've read it takes a fair amount of work. If the 20''er is still for sale I'll be up to my elbows.

deevo

@deevo did you find that to be a PITA to pull out? I've read it takes a fair amount of work. If the 20''er is still for sale I'll be up to my elbows.
I had the bearings replaced on my drum dec 2015, the Morbark mechanic did it. But yes was a bit of work to lift it out, the machine shop did my entire lower feed wheel, he had it in/out fairly quick, was a day for the bearings to be delivered from Michigan.

ROYCE

Are you planning on doing the repair in house?

Merle Nelson

If anyone is ever tempted to torch a stuck set of bearings off maybe rethink it. I had a machinest friend cut a set off a chipper drum (he had done it often before on other equip.) I'm pretty sure it released stresses in a 3 plus inch shaft and we were not able to get it satisfactorily trued up with big presses etc.

After the fact I wished I would have used a angle grinder and a cut off wheel.

96coal449

Are you planning on doing the repair in house?
Yes I am ..... outside ...... no shop yet. Will be using a mini skid for the heavy lifting. Other option is one of a couple shops I know of. They're private and I can get my hands dirty. One shop my truck is at now geting the body mounted. The other is close to home. Time will tell.
@deevo thanks for sharing your experience lets me know what I'm getting into. If I don't get the 20R at least I'll have an aggressive 15R.

96coal449

@merle_nelson This one needs the shaft bearings and retainer blocks. The drum and fan are stated to be good. I want to pull it and have the machine shop get it back to ready for install. I know an old fella with a private shop at his farm.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom