Morbark 10

DonnyCoffey

I just recently purchased a 1997 Morbark 10. 9” drum. 86 John Deere 4045. 1800 hours. It has been sitting outside for about three years. Gonna refurbish it. Looking for anyone else who has the same/similar unit to bounce questions off of. Here are some pics. Oh, and I got it for $3,000.00...deal or no deal.

Attachments

DonnyCoffey

That’s what I’ve heard about the engine. 1800 hrs. is just breaking it in. Now I just have to cross my fingers and see if I can get it to fire up without any major issues, and then work on the hydraulics, drum, and cutting parts. I wasn’t in the market for a chipper, but I’m slowly going to refurbish it over the year and get this thing tiptop

southsoundtree

That’s what I’ve heard about the engine. 1800 hrs. is just breaking it in. Now I just have to cross my fingers and see if I can get it to fire up without any major issues, and then work on the hydraulics, drum, and cutting parts. I wasn’t in the market for a chipper, but I’m slowly going to refurbish it over the year and get this thing tiptop
If it's sat 3 years, I don't think you should try to run it without some prep.

Not sure what you're planning.

DonnyCoffey

Well, i’m going to check the fluids and try to manually spin the drum and check all the bearings and seals, but after that I’m not sure what else to check. I may just send it to a mechanic so I don’t blow anything up or injure myself

southsoundtree

Was it run during those three years outside?

If it's sat, without being run, all the oil had drained down. There is a bit you can do before cranking it over to get it re-lubed.

A mechanic might have some worthwhile advice, if it's just been sitting.

DonnyCoffey

It was sitting outside and maybe occasionally run. I actually ran it about seven years ago since it was my old employers and when it was running it was a very powerful machine for the size of the capacity. I have attached a little more photos, but they are just photos. They don’t really get inside the machine

Attachments

DonnyCoffey

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Apparently these motors are pretty reliable and could be rebuilt cheaper than most if the need would arise. Even if I would sink another three grand into it, I’m still at a decent spot I think.

DonnyCoffey

She’s up and running, and running strong. All engine fluids flushed and changed. All new hydraulic hoses, new brakes.....There is one thing that baffles me though. It only has one knife. I’m used to a chipper 6 inches and above would at least have 2. Can anyone fill me in?

oldoakman

She’s up and running, and running strong. All engine fluids flushed ;)and changed. All new hydraulic hoses, new brakes.....There is one thing that baffles me though. It only has one knife. I’m used to a chipper 6 inches and above would at least have 2. Can anyone fill me in?
One knife wont work well for you. Give it to me and I'll fix it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom