Mini skid winch

handsome_feller

Hey Guys I'm new to the mini skid game. I love what these things can do but I feel that the usefulness could be doubled with a winch. Has anyone figured out a good system to add a winch to their machine? Hydraulic would be best but... I realize the implications of flipping the machine etc. but feel that responsible operation is the key to avoid these problems.

Jehinten

Just curious, what would you want to use the winch for? I'm new to the minis as well, so maybe you can give me some ideas on their usefulness.

Jackjcc

I feel like they would slide or tip too easily. It’s pretty hard to get the perfect combo of versatility and mobility (able to get through narrow gates). I think the best option would be an additional mount to go on instead of a grapple bucket or branch manager. It’s really easy to switch out attachments on minis usually and that would prevent over complicating the hydraulics by mounting the winch on the machine. When I’ve encountered the winching scenario I’ve always been of the put a line on it and redirect from a tree to get the piece where you can grapple it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southsoundtree

A guy mounted a hydraulic capstan to the top, horizontal tube on his BMG.

I always thought it was a slick idea. He sold it to someone else for their BMG.

evo

Could get a 12v warn receiver hitch mount winch. I can think of a few solid applications. Last job I had we used a burly skidding winch mounted on a decaded one ton flatbed. Tons of application. To use it on a mini, you’d need to chain it to a stump, or fab a blade or some such so you just don’t drag the machine.

climbhightree

I put my warn 10,000 lbs winch on my mini quite often for pulling over trees, especially in a wooded area. Most times it does not slide, but if the ground is soft or the tree has a heavy back lean i will just strap the mini to another tree etc
20180615_093551.jpg
It it just a receiver hitch plate for the mini. I used go have a small winch I designed to go in the bmg, but I prefer this method.

Ps it is especially nice with a wireless remote for the winch

evo

I put my warn 10,000 lbs winch on my mini quite often for pulling over trees, especially in a wooded area. Most times it does not slide, but if the ground is soft or the tree has a heavy back lean i will just strap the mini to another tree etc
View attachment 53793
It it just a receiver hitch plate for the mini. I used go have a small winch I designed to go in the bmg, but I prefer this method.

I'd love a wireless remote for the mini! Why this over the BMG mounted one?

southsoundtree

Where did you find that video?

I would really consider putting a remote on a new mini. It would need some counterweight added and a shock-dampening device to replace how an operator's body dampens.

evo

Where did you find that video?

I would really consider putting a remote on a new mini. It would need some counterweight added and a shock-dampening device to replace how an operator's body dampens.
All the cool kids are doing it.. They make one for the Kanga, Aus Dingo, and now Cat & bobcat full size. Shit if they can make them for a K-boom the sky is the limit.
Counter weight? just strap a log to the ass end, works great for the operator presences bypass. :inocente:

deevo

View attachment 53793

Nice, do you run that off the mini’s Battery? I know electric winches are a lot of pull on the electrical system.

climbhightree

I'd love a wireless remote for the mini! Why this over the BMG mounted one?

I had to dig for pictures of the how I mounted an electric 3000 lbs winch to the bmg, end up doing screen shots from my Facebook account. This style works, but I feel it puts more strain on the mini/hydraulics...though I usually had the bmg strapped to the mini to help that.

Screenshot_20180902-083442_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20180902-083447_Facebook.jpg

handsome_feller

View attachment 53793

I really like your set up with the truck. Do you use the branch manager rake? do you think it could be modded to fit on a Vermeer grapple?

climbhightree

I really like your set up with the truck. Do you use the branch manager rake? do you think it could be modded to fit on a Vermeer grapple?
I honestly don't use the rake much, but I am glad I bought it. It mostly gets used for snow on my driveways. Every once and a while I'll use it for tree work (parking lot clean up, crispy tree flop, brush piles).

Uou could probably make it work, but font ghink it would be extremely easy. Vermeer grapple mounts different and the grapple tongs are a lot bigger.

skew

I have a Ryan's grapple with a winch. It was a feature that doubled the price of the implement so I wasn't too sure about it. Also it added quite a bit of weight to the implement thereby reducing it's lifting capacity. I don't use the winch every day but when I do it's the bomb. Pulling spars, tightening speedlines, choke and drag piles that I can't quite reach or just skidding huge piles that would be multiple grabs with grapple. My mini is a vermeer 725 with dual hero circuit.
Another feature I debated was the full power rotation feature- having that I would never go any other way

Rangerbait

I have a Ryan's grapple with a winch. It was a feature that doubled the price of the implement so I wasn't too sure about it. Also it added quite a bit of weight to the implement thereby reducing it's lifting capacity. I don't use the winch every day but when I do it's the bomb. Pulling spars, tightening speedlines, choke and drag piles that I can't quite reach or just skidding huge piles that would be multiple grabs with grapple. My mini is a vermeer 725 with dual hero circuit.
Another feature I debated was the full power rotation feature- having that I would never go any other way

I also have the Ryan’s/725 combo...would love to see a pic of the winch setup

Jehinten

So having had my mini for a few months now I am reconsidering my position on this. My mini being a wheeled skid steer has a downfall of poor traction and I really notice this while trying to pull over spars. Having a remote controlled winch with the mini butted up against another tree trunk would really simplify things. Not to mention loading the mini into the back of my chip bed I have to drive it in forward which causes it to want to wheelie even with a heavy log in the grapple. I think if I were to use the winch and take the slack out if the wich cable as I go up it would offer some extra security while loading and unloading.

@climbhightree how did you do your battery connections, straight to the battery or with a quick disconnect? I would be mounting mine to an attachment plate like you have shown above.

southsoundtree

It's better to back the mini in, if not sufficiently nose-heavy. Heavy end uphill, loading or operating.

I have to put my machine in nose-first in my chip body, or it won't fit. I don't need a log, but extend my boom for leverage. Also, I can prevent tipping by having the grapple against the ceiling of the chip bed.

Anchoring the machine from the rear, in conjunction with butting the tire might be better for harder pulls.

Jehinten

Yea I prefer to load by backing up the ramps, that's how I load into my pickup, with my chip box it will only fit if I go up the ramps in forward. At a 42" deck height I haven't quite mastered getting up the ramps without a weight. Its possible it's more prone to wheelies since it's a tire unit? I'm running a Vermeer s600

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom