Mini Skid Winch / Mini Yarder

evo

So blowing off the dust on a previous thread, but I thought it would warrant a thread of it's own. I have found many uses for the Ramsey HDP-4000 winch I fitted to my Vermeer 725. It's not complete yet, as I'd like to fab a blade which would slide into the receiver of the BMG not unlike a Farmi style winch. Also I need to figure out a fairlead, and have balled up the line pretty bad a few times. The other main thing is that I want to make a receiver tube, so I can run the winch on a simple receiver plate.
This thing rocks! I cannot say enough good about it. One con is that it's a manual free spool, power in/power out winch. The draw back is when using it to pull a tree over and the line crosses another as it's falling you cannot let it run (oops). However, the winch has a fitting for an air powered clutch, It would be nice if you can power in and then jettison the load into free spool.
I don't really do the YouTube thing, but just for y'all I uploaded a video of working in the smoke filled skies this summer. We were removing a small previously topped Douglas fir and leaving a habitat snag (Neighborhood height restrictions for view, bastards).
This was well under max load and max speed, just simple production

evo

Two speed winch (high, low)?
What the fpm in low?
I tried searching for your winch but can only find an HDP-8000.
Id have to look it up, I have it on the high flow side. It kinda fell into my lap, I made a few calls who gave me the number to a higher up at Ramsey. It is a hdp-8000 with a different motor on it, which I accidentally found out is proprietary to a large chipper manufacturer. The dude at Ramsey gave me the number to a dealer who told me Ramsey didn’t make a 4000, so it took some coordination and many phone calls, and a few months of wait time.

Jehinten

very nice. The speed of that winch is quite a bit faster than the one that I have on my mini. Different work environment here, I don’t have much of a need for skidding, and the slow speed works fine for felling trees that need a little extra pull.

Does your winch stay on the grapple full time? Any issues when manipulating logs with the pusher on the BMG?

dsptech

The winch I picked up is one of those MileMarker military 10,000 lb Humvee winch.
Don't seem to be getting the right amount of flow to it even though the pump on my chipper should meet the spec.
Rotates super slow in low.

evo

very nice. The speed of that winch is quite a bit faster than the one that I have on my mini. Different work environment here, I don’t have much of a need for skidding, and the slow speed works fine for felling trees that need a little extra pull.

Does your winch stay on the grapple full time? Any issues when manipulating logs with the pusher on the BMG?

It’s easily detached with two bolts, I intend on replacing the bolts with pins. I’d like to have it on a separate receiver plate. I rarely deal with having to use the pusher, and yes it gets a little sketch when I do. I’m quicker to save a shorty 6-8” log to hold in the grapple and push with that.
I mostly deal with brush and having to yard material up and out of high angle bluff critical areas

evo

The winch I picked up is one of those MileMarker military 10,000 lb Humvee winch.
Don't seem to be getting the right amount of flow to it even though the pump on my chipper should meet the spec.
Rotates super slow in low.
I dug deep to find the fastest one I could, power wasn't much of a factor as the mini only weighs less than 3K. It seemed redundant to go with anything stronger than the weight of the machine (even though I've considered using the tie downs to anchor it to a tree behind).

dsptech

Pretty cool to see it pull that brush up a hill on while mounted on a small machine.
That's what I want to do with mine, drag brush piles over to the chipper.
Awesome setup.
Can you vermeer run that winch also?

evo

Pretty cool to see it pull that brush up a hill on while mounted on a small machine.
That's what I want to do with mine, drag brush piles over to the chipper.
Awesome setup.
Can you vermeer run that winch also?
You mean the chipper? It’s a Gravely 944

That is way down on the project list, I may replace it in a few years. It’s so light though I could push it around almost anywhere with the mini I question the point of needing the winch on the chipper

dsptech

Pulling brush piles to it.
On a site with multiple brush piles scattered around the property 30 - 60 feet away from the chipper where you cant drag the chipper around.

flushcut

You mean the chipper? It’s a Gravely 944

That is way down on the project list, I may replace it in a few years. It’s so light though I could push it around almost anywhere with the mini I question the point of needing the winch on the chipper
I have a winch on my bc1500 and I have used it maybe five times in six years. I always feed with the mini or by hand but rarely. I even thought about cutting off the winch arm and making it so I can take it off and put back on if need be.

evo

I have a winch on my bc1500 and I have used it maybe five times in six years. I always feed with the mini or by hand but rarely. I even thought about cutting off the winch arm and making it so I can take it off and put back on if need be.
Unfortunately my chipper is too light to feed it with the mini. I’d have to take the feed tray gate off.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom