Mini adaptations

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Two things in mind, taking my word splitter off the frame and adding quick connects to be able to hang it from the mini fit breaking down big rounds.

What would make this possible, and would it be practical?

Second, has anyone added an electric brake controller for towing a trailer with brakes?

A sheared off connection from hydraulic motor to drive gear, as sounds to be a problem on sk800/ 1050, could become very serious if you lose control over a track.

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Two things in mind, taking my word splitter off the frame and adding quick connects to be able to hang it from the mini fit breaking down big rounds.

What would make this possible, and would it be practical?

Second, has anyone added an electric brake controller for towing a trailer with brakes?

A sheared off connection from hydraulic motor to drive gear, as sounds to be a problem on sk800/ 1050, could become very serious if you lose control over a track.
Unless you do not frequently use your splitter I think I'd by a purpose built. At only $1600 you'll only save a few hundred if you have to buy all materials new to modify your existing one. https://www.skidsteers.com/mini-ski...i0JvGt8GzKNTGfvxZ19LeGlzmQ47nEExoCNd4QAvD_BwE

I'm not sure if you could get a brake controller hooked up on a mini and if you could I think you'd have to control it with the sliding lever. A simple break away brake may be best for a worst case senerio. A surge brake coupler may work, but will add more leverage to your towing adapter.

Not sure why the below link isn't working, but searching on google for a surge brake coupler should find it.

https://nsatowbars.com/products/the-ready-brake?variant=31698279891029¤cy=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2021-07-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugo0xfd1ngmsXNIlno0qWxZYTujbKTXYRDjZCAl3PMcYttNho-D-UjKhoCrY0QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

climbhightree

Branched out member
I've done that with my mini and Avant (wood splitter). What I did was weld a long hitch tongue to the splitter, than use that to pin it to a hitch plate. That way I can use the splitter either way. One of the main reasons I did this was because the engine died on the splitter, and this was another option.

Recently I put the splitter's controls back on it, so I can run the splitter without going back to the machine every time.

Attachments

• 20211003_092037.jpg
    20211003_092037.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 20210918_111840.jpg
    20210918_111840.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20200704_121136.jpg
    20200704_121136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57

flushcut

Branched out member
Atom splitter. Image 3.jpg
Break the logs down first then cut into easily man handled chunks for the splitter. I have the Atom Splitter and a regular splitter and I can get more wood processed with both than one unit. Plus the 5.5hp Honda on the splitter uses a gallon of gas every eight hours as opposed to 11 gallons of diesel on the mini every eight hours. Works slick as hell for me.

For the trailer I would just tie some ZingIt to your trailer emergency breakaway break and pull if necessary.

Fivepoints

Branched out member
This is how we deal with large logs as well. We use a mini ex with an atom splitter on it. The reach and ability to swing the split pieces around to stack them works much better vs mini skid.

Cutting firewood with an 18" chainsaw is very nice vs a 36" saw. Less fuel, easier on the guy cutting, much cheaper chains, etc.

Reach

Been here a while
Running the splitter from the mini seems reasonable to me, as long as it makes enough flow to run the cylinder, and I’m sure it does. Personally, I would built it like shown above where it can run right side up or upside down, and I would install the valves with quick connects so that you can use the valves when you want to use the controls at the front, and remove them to run the splitter inverted from the controls on the mini.

I’m not sure the brake controller is worth installing on a mini, if you try to use the brakes on a lawn/dirt, you’re likely to just lock up the wheels and slide the chipper, losing all control of it until it stops on its own. Personally I would stick to using the mini only on flat ground, where it’s not likely to run away if something were to fail.

evo

Been here a while
I’ve had the same thought with a splitter. Issue is I don’t split enough wood to warrant buying a log splitter or splitting attachment. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a cheap or free splitter with a blown engine and just adapting the hydraulics to run off the mini.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
I've done that with my mini and Avant (wood splitter). What I did was weld a long hitch tongue to the splitter, than use that to pin it to a hitch plate. That way I can use the splitter either way. One of the main reasons I did this was because the engine died on the splitter, and this was another option.

Recently I put the splitter's controls back on it, so I can run the splitter without going back to the machine every time.
This last pic is what I'm after.

Can i run it from the operator's platform somehow? Might just be a long handle attached to the regular splitter handle.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Running the splitter from the mini seems reasonable to me, as long as it makes enough flow to run the cylinder, and I’m sure it does. Personally, I would built it like shown above where it can run right side up or upside down, and I would install the valves with quick connects so that you can use the valves when you want to use the controls at the front, and remove them to run the splitter inverted from the controls on the mini.

I’m not sure the brake controller is worth installing on a mini, if you try to use the brakes on a lawn/dirt, you’re likely to just lock up the wheels and slide the chipper, losing all control of it until it stops on its own. Personally I would stick to using the mini only on flat ground, where it’s not likely to run away if something were to fail.
I could use a rope and porty in some situations as back up.

I can't stick to flat ground only, practically.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom